thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp
Tell you what..

You can try clamping the fuel return pipe to test if the increased fuel pressure at the Carb improves performance. Some people block off the return pipe completely (and remove the "T" piece) which is acceptable provided you block the return pipe to tank in a very secure manner with no risk of spillage (even if the vehicle is inverted) or vapour escaping..... It is worth noting that the "T" piece has a restriction built in (on my 1991 model at least), i.e. one of the pipes is much smaller internal diameter than the others. This is the case on my 1991 Vehicle and the narrow pipe is the one to which the return pipe to the tank attaches.

This is an issue that had a lot of discussion on other forums.
As the van is fairly new to you, check that the fuel return pipe hasn't been replaced.
If it's a much wider diameter than the original, it causes poor running as there is too much unused fuel being returned to the tank.

OP
OP
BobProperty

BobProperty

Free Member
May 20, 2010
Stockport
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2010
So does it sort of starts misfirng then gets progressively worse until it becomes undriveable?
No just starts kangaroo-ing sometimes will go again in seconds, sometimes will die as in fuel starvation. Wait no more than 30secs - 1 min and it may well restart and run OK for a while.

OP
OP
BobProperty

BobProperty

Free Member
May 20, 2010
Stockport
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2010
This is an issue that had a lot of discussion on other forums.
As the van is fairly new to you, check that the fuel return pipe hasn't been replaced.
If it's a much wider diameter than the original, it causes poor running as there is too much unused fuel being returned to the tank.
No it's still on the original (as far as I can tell) pipe which is 6 or 7mm and not the usual 8mm. I now have a clip on the return pipe and I have throttled it down slightly.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Hope you have got it sorted now Bob and arrived safely. Please give Frankie a hug from me. JOy:thumb:

OP
OP
BobProperty

BobProperty

Free Member
May 20, 2010
Stockport
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2010
It's still doing it. Drove down to Argeles-sur-mer via Frankie's and it is still dying on me occasionally. Time for new fuel pump? If I can get one, or do I go electric?

Sorry, Movan, forgot to give Frankie a hug on your behalf.:Doh:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back