Kampa Motor Rally 260L AIR Pro Inflatable Fixed Motorhome Awning (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
a couple of dealers have said they won't last to long when being used long term in the more sunny climes,

frankly.. I think that is nonsense.. the air poles are encased in 300 denier material and not exposed to the sun.. but even if they did you can buy replacements..

in saying that, there is no awning made that is designed for long term exposure to strong sunlight.. they all degrade.. eventually

for us, the big plus is no poles to mess about with and store .. it's up in a few minutes.. best of all .. no divorce proceedings afterwards :LOL:

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2014
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Compactline 143
Exp
I'm a newbie and always will be. You never know it all.
frankly.. I think that is nonsense.. the air poles are encased in 300 denier material and not exposed to the sun.. but even if they did you can buy replacements..

in saying that, there is no awning made that is designed for long term exposure to strong sunlight.. they all degrade.. eventually

for us, the big plus is no poles to mess about with and store .. it's up in a few minutes.. best of all .. no divorce proceedings afterwards :LOL:

And that is the point I was just going to make. Has anyone compared them to the Dorema Magnum All Season. The manufacturers claim they are suitable for long term exposure to the elements?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
Im thinking of just using in the cooler times when its wet and muddy

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
And that is the point I was just going to make. Has anyone compared them to the Dorema Magnum All Season. The manufacturers claim they are suitable for long term exposure to the elements?

Dorema.. great awning.. and yes, will no doubt have a longer life in the sun.. but the steel poles and the material make it a heavy awning... and a palaver to put up.. that's the reasons for choosing the Kampa

It will mostly be used in the UK .. week ends and short trips.. so UV degradation not a concern..

If buying to site in Spain for the winter the Dorema would be favourite

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
.. my Air Pro 260 XL is back for sale due to extreme time wasting dingbatedness on ebay..

Oct 8, 2014
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Compactline 143
Exp
I'm a newbie and always will be. You never know it all.
Dorema.. great awning.. and yes, will no doubt have a longer life in the sun.. and but the steel poles and the material make it a heavy awning... and a palaver to put up.. that's the reasons for choosing the Kampa

It will mostly be used in the UK .. week ends and short trips.. so UV degradation not a concern..

If buying to site in Spain for the winter the Dorema would be favourite

No Jim, the one I'm referring to is the Magnum Air' It does seem to get good reviews.

http://www.dorema.co.uk/de/awnings/magnum_air_all_season.htm

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
I am sold on this and am going to order. I have found it for £449 at camping international in Gillingham with free delivery just incase anyone else was tempted. Thanks for all the info .

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
I am sold on this and am going to order. I have found it for £449 at camping international in Gillingham with free delivery just incase anyone else was tempted. Thanks for all the info .
That's where mine came from...

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
OK i couldn't wait and they let me go and collect it today, I've already had it out the bag and up on the van. As said so easy to erect and in no time at all. Sometimes i look to in depth at things and can't get started straight away but dived straight in. It fits just as i thought regards windows ,doors etc and plenty of clearance over the herb door. Three questions for you that have them if you don't mind.
1:- What are the black straps for at the bottom on the left and right hand sides ?
2:- In the bag is a piece of sheet with a channel strip on it which would i assume fit into the awning, it has some eyelid holes in it, i can't seem to find and description for it.
3:- Its got to be worth buying the storm straps ?

All in all pleased as punch , however i did get some strange looks from passers by.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Glad you are pleasd

1. Haven't checked.. but I think it's to keep it square.. from spreading out ?
2. That is the skirt to fit on the bottom of the van to keep the draughts out.. you will need a bit of 6mm awning channel fitted onto the van.. or do without.. .. my next job
3. Not bothered with storms straps... but if it gets windy can use the ones I have for the wind out awning..

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
Cheers Jim, yeah that makes sense regarding the straps, my electric step is bang centre so not sure i can use the skirt but will have a look into that, it would be good to make use of it.I think I'm going to get the straps as the ones i have for the awning have the S clips rather that the snap together buckles.I have got to stop buying now as i won't be able to move for kit. The bag sits nicely up on the overact bed. Thanks for all your advice.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
my electric step is bang centre so not sure i can use the skirt

should be possible to 'modify' the skirt to fit around the step.. cut a slot in it.. seen that done ..

or cut the skirt in two and fit either side..

Kim H

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 24, 2011
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
Since 2011
We bought the storm straps for ours, but we haven't done anything with the skirt yet as we're not sure about attaching an awning channel to the van. We did see a company at the Lincoln show who were selling skirts with poles attached, rather like a miniature windbreak. Might look into something like that.

nickbailey

Free Member
Apr 23, 2013
Leics
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Chieftain
Exp
since 2005
We purchased the Kampa Motor Rally Air Pro 390L 2015 model and we are really impressed with the quality. During a strong wind in Cornwall in September this year, we we're amazed at the way the airbeams flexed and stood up to what would have im sure damaged poles (if they were fitted).
Our only gripe is that we have an Auto Trail Dakota with a Thule/Omnister wind out awning and when it rains water leaks into the awning down the side of the van. We are considering having an Awning Rail fitted which should alleviate the problem. Unless of course other funsters can advise etc. To sum up though a great product which sold out initially as demand was so great. Does anyone know where to get the roof lining as again everywhere we try is sold out?.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Our only gripe is that we have an Auto Trail Dakota with a Thule/Omnister wind out awning and when it rains water leaks into the awning down the side of the van.

the downside to fitting an awning rail is you then need steps to feed the awning through..

any thoughts on this ?

http://www.kampa.co.uk/awning-accessories/rear-upright-pole-set
Rear Upright Pole Set
CE730203

All our lightweight awnings come complete with sewn-in bumper pads that create a seal between the awning and caravan. This seal can, if required, be enhanced with the addition of the Rear Upright Pole set. This creates an even better seal.

The Kampa Rear Upright Pole set is also useable on most non-Kampa lightweight awnings for those looking for superior quality.

Key Features

• Suits lightweight porch awnings
  • Adjustable height up to 250 cm
  • Two poles per set
  • Steel

another thought.. you could fit suckers to the material to hold it against the van

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2008
York
Funster No
MH
C Class Bessacarr 769
Exp
Since July 2010
We purchased the Kampa Motor Rally Air Pro 390L 2015 model and we are really impressed with the quality. During a strong wind in Cornwall in September this year, we we're amazed at the way the airbeams flexed and stood up to what would have im sure damaged poles (if they were fitted).
Our only gripe is that we have an Auto Trail Dakota with a Thule/Omnister wind out awning and when it rains water leaks into the awning down the side of the van. We are considering having an Awning Rail fitted which should alleviate the problem. Unless of course other funsters can advise etc. To sum up though a great product which sold out initially as demand was so great. Does anyone know where to get the roof lining as again everywhere we try is sold out?.
Have you got a drip strip ? It feeds into behind the awning. We just fitted one as when we replaced our awning last week , the fitter removed the old one which had rotted. Got it from Johns Cross.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
@ScotJimland thanks to this post I've now gothat one. I actually got the 260xl for 320 brand new as an ex display model. I picked it up yesterday got to site last night and put it up in about 30-40 mins...this was done in the dark and I had no instructions and had no idea what I was doing.
They are amazingly simple to errect. This morning it was flat though as I forgot to put the cap on after blowing it up. The idea was to have more room for the dogs and its serving its purpose.

I took @Geo s advice and went for the xl even though my railing height was 255 and 259. When I arrived on site I needed chocks to level up and the awning fits fine and also even off the chocks is fine.

The only thing I don't like is the gap between van and awning at the back but I have no poles with it but I like the idea of some suction cups

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
This morning it was flat though as I forgot to put the cap on after blowing it up
ha ha
that made me chuckle.. hope there weren't any tuggers watching :LOL:

and a very good price.. glad you are pleased.. (y)

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
Well we are in the lakes and I saw we were in for some weather but threw caution to the wind and put the awning up.We have been battered by wind and rain since we've been here. I've watched the awning bow and curtesy quite a few times. I did have to bang the pegs in again as I struggled to get some to hold properly on this stone pitch.Im glad I got the storm straps as we would have been in trouble without any doubt. Also a video I watched showed the fitted guys being pegged straight out in front which I done but found in the high wind it was like my knees buckling after a skinful so moved them at a bit of an angle and it sorted it.All in all well pleased and it's certainly been put through its paces.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Whilst out running a marathon in Saturday I left nikki in charge. The wind picked up and the awning moved alot but it didn't have awning straps etc so nikki and Mike took it down. Did you find getting the air out easy? Mine looks bigger than when I got it in the bag

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Did you find getting the air out easy? Mine looks bigger than when I got it in the bag
if you look at the folding diagram that helps get it to the correct shape.. getting the air out I just knelt on it as I folded..

you could also use the air pump in reverse.. to suck the sucker flat :LOL:

t660

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
bury lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 1999
Hi I bought a 260 earlier this year have used it quite a few times only downside I've found is that when it's windy the front of the fiamma wind out can be pulled away from it's locks, I now put releasable cable ties around the fiamma awning at either end when setting up.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
We had our 260L out in 30kmh gusts this last weekend. I did put two storm straps on but we had absolutely no problem at all. No huge movement and no flapping or real noise. Very impressive and a few folks stopped by to admire it.

drago35uk

Free Member
Aug 25, 2009
Newhey
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Whilst out running a marathon in Saturday I left nikki in charge. The wind picked up and the awning moved alot but it didn't have awning straps etc so nikki and Mike took it down. Did you find getting the air out easy? Mine looks bigger than when I got it in the bag
Difference between Paul's and mine is mine takes 10 mins longer to put up with poles.
Benefits of pole version
Does not keep collapsing in high winds like a bouncy castle
Folds smaller as you don't need to roll all over it to get the air out.....oh and £280 still jangling in my pocket.
If it rips or blows away in the night I'm down £60 and will just get another from Ebay. Loads available from people who've "upgraded" to air
Would I get an air one?.. Not a chance.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
I
Difference between Paul's and mine is mine takes 10 mins longer to put up with poles.
Benefits of pole version
Does not keep collapsing in high winds like a bouncy castle
Folds smaller as you don't need to roll all over it to get the air out.....oh and £280 still jangling in my pocket.
If it rips or blows away in the night I'm down £60 and will just get another from Ebay. Loads available from people who've "upgraded" to air
Would I get an air one?.. Not a chance.
think you need to experience one tbh. The reason the other 0ne "blew away in the night" is it wasn't pegged down with straps. If you didn't bother to strap your pole one down you would experience a similar phenomenon. I think you'll probably find that everyone here singing the virtues of the new Kampa Air awning has previously owned a pole type and can therefore compare them with some authority.
Ours does take up more space than our old awning but it's a small price to pay for the speed efficiency and hardwearing quality of the rally air pro.
I'm sure it'll catch on and ebay will be swamped with pole awnings ...
.. oh wait..
:reel:

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Would I buy yet another 'divorce in a bag' heavy steel pole awning.. ?

Not a chance .. :D

Air Poles and Sat Nav .. best camping inventions since the airbed.. :cool:

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back