LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Hi We are in La Manga and a friend of ours has a brand new blow up awning. It rained hard during the night and early morning and he was concerned when he noticed pools of water gathering in the top of the awning. He was shocked when the awning suddenly buckled under the weight of the water, and then bounced back again! Is it supposed to do this? what happens if you are unfortunate enough to be in the awning when it collapses?

Ginny and Mike

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
I have no idea but

I am thinking about buying one.

How is he getting on with it besides the buckling problem of course :thumb::thumb:

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Hi We are in La Manga and a friend of ours has a brand new blow up awning. It rained hard during the night and early morning and he was concerned when he noticed pools of water gathering in the top of the awning. He was shocked when the awning suddenly buckled under the weight of the water, and then bounced back again! Is it supposed to do this? what happens if you are unfortunate enough to be in the awning when it collapses?

Ginny and Mike

All awnings will do that if you allow the water to collect ::bigsmile:
In stormy conditions you need to be a tads vigilant.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
Teasy2007

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005

How is he getting on with it besides the buckling problem of course :thumb::thumb:

On the whole ok. His wife uses a walking stick and is she is concerned with the skirt which goes in front of the doors. It is easy to catch and fall over.

He said he was going to cut the skirting out until we pointed out that this would ruin the awning and probably make it unstable. He had already cut the top inner skirt as his motorhome door would not close without trapping the material.

We have the normal Kampa awning and have no problem at all with rain on the roof. I have noticed that the top of his awning not only gathers water, but seems to stain easily.

Ginny

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009

We have a Kampa 260 Air-we have only used it for 3 days in good weather and loved it-we will be taking it to Spain in Feb. and are not at all trepidacious about how it might behave in gales and torrential storms ::bigsmile:

Mike
Thinking about it now-the slope on the roof depends on the awning being the correct height for the van-just a thought.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back