Just WHO is resposible for repairing a faulty MH (1 Viewer)

Apr 8, 2015
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
15 years
I have been trying to make sense of the new consumer rights act and to be fair have always believed that the contract is between the Purchaser and the Dealer. The manufacturer is well out of it. However I have read that if the MH is on Hire Purchase, and I assume many are, then the contract, is between the HP company who in theory have purchased the MH from the dealer and now hire it to the purchaser until the final payment is made. It is then the responsibility of the HP company to ensure faults are corrected. Naturaly they don't have a workshop and a little man to fix it but they can bring a lot of pressure to bear on both the Manufacturer and the dealer if things are not going right for you the purchaser. Are there any Legal Eagles out there who can shed light on this.

Brightspark

Free Member
Dec 27, 2010
Ashbourne, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
June 2010
You are absolutely correct concerning the relationship between the customer/dealer/HP company. In my previous life I was an accounts manager for a national finance company dealing solely in motor vehicles. A finance company can only get involved once notified in writing by the customer who is named on the agreement, and in my experience will only get involved with serious defects not 'niggley' issues that do not stop the vehicle from being used. They (HP Co) would advise the customer to write to the dealer detailing all ongoing defects that have not been rectified, giving them 10 working days to resolve. This is a standard process for any complaint with a company providing a product or service. A copy of the letter should be sent to the HP company. They would then act as an intermediary between the dealer and the customer. It is in every bodies interest to amicably resolve the issues and for the customer to continue with monthly payments. It is quite a natural feeling for the customer to stop payments, but this would show as missed payments on thier credit rating. Hope this helps.

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
As pointed out the finance company has a liability and in the end if the retailer defaults can be obliged to rectify things themselves. Perhaps the best cause of action is to write to the retailer detailing what is required to rectify your problems with a copy to the customer services department at the finance company and make sure the retailer is aware this is what you have done. The retailer of course has the option on calling in his warranty from the manufacturer and obliging them to carry out the work. He cannot in law expect you to do this for him.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Humsafer
Apr 8, 2015
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
15 years
Thank you for taking the trouble to answer so factually, these answers are very significant and may explain the treatment I received from Swift many years ago. I had brought a new Bessacar from Brownhills and was plagued with some serious faults, which Brownhills couldn't or wouldn't fix. I wrote to Brownhills with copies to Swift and Blackhorse requesting my money back in full. Swift rang me up, asked me to bring the vehicle to the factory, explain the problems which would be fixed. They loaned me a hire car FOC to return home in and to keep until the vehicle was ready. Some years before that I had been advised to always take out some HP on any motorhome I ever purchased, even if I could afford to buy it outright. Naturally I would never go to the manufacturer or Finance company with minor niggly problems. Most dealers seem only too eager to sort these out. But there comes a time, when even they cant solve the issues.

Brian Hewitt

Free Member
Oct 12, 2016
Llandysul
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
13yrs
Hi all, You know, whenever I read this forum, or MMM, or the club mazgazines, There seems to be at least pne letter saying that there were faults with their new M.Homes. I don't know about you, but I think this is totally enacceptable. There should not be any faults with a new vehicle, so that begs the question..Who does the necessary inspections prior to release to dealer/purchaser???. I bought my Hymer B584, imported for me by Budesvan, and have had no, that is NO, problems, whatsoever. I had bought a number of British made caravans over the years, and had problems from day one, both with the 'van AND the dealer. Wake up you British manufacturers and smell what you are shovelling. And all us buyers should be much less tolerant about poor workmanship. Phew, I need a drink. Brian

swanseajack13

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 19, 2013
Swansea
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
3 years
yes new dethleffs 2016 paid for it loads of problems sent emails to dethleffs did not won't to know still waiting for a door clip on the toilet ray xx lol still lol in a word crap:cry::cry:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
A friend of mine bought a very expensive machine with a bank loan. When it broke down and needed some extensive repaired he informed the bank that their machine was in need of repair and therefore more funds to sort it.
He did get a further advance though as without it he could not operate his business

jessthedog

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
south east
Funster No
MH
A
@pyro is the man who could point you in the right direction. He put a very interesting piece regarding this subject in the resources section, but I couldn't find it when I just looked.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back