Sep 25, 2018
Exmouth (at the mo?)
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2018
Hi all

I bought my first motorhome last year and have spent the greater part of the year living in it (solo) mostly roadside night stops and pub stops - also rent a room in Exmouth as a sort of base.

I would love to spend a couple of months slowly driving around the coast of the UK and Ireland sometime in the future (more on limitations later).

Am very solo but love being sociable as well and have been thinking about sharing that journey with someone, also to perhaps help cover the fuel costs since finances are tight although not impossible.

Any thoughts on the idea of sharing with a stranger in a small (less than 6mtr) motorhome for two months - aware that the fact I’m even asking this question says a lot!

i have floated this idea with a few acquaintances and was surprised as the positive responses I got - from both male and female I might add.

I everyone thinks this is a stupid idea then is anyone alternatively interested in joining me in their van?

Theres no rush because at present I’ve suddenly become committed to full time caring for one parent and daily hospital visits to the other which has put a break on things and resulted in my van being parked up since the start of September - doesn’t stop me planning though.

All thoughts welcome.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
I really can't see it working, a couple who know one another very well could find it a struggle in a small motorhome, it takes time to know someones habits /moods routines and a small space with a stranger would not make for a relaxed atmosphere.
Nothing wrong with planning while you are looking after your parents which can be very stressful, but when you get back on the road stress is the last thing you will need.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
I’d say there’s more chance of it not working than it has being a success. Sorry

Deleted User
I don't think it is a daft idea but as been mentioned already it takes a while to get to know someone and even longer to be in a confined space with them when there is 'no easy escape route' if things aren't going well. Many years ago I went camping with some friends who I had known for quite some time and although we were staying in separate tents I found it very difficult to be with them all the time.

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
I've travelled in the van both as a couple & solo with friends in their vans (both male & female) & there's already some good points made. Personally I'd struggle to share the space 24/7 but love being with others with their vans with the odd trip on my own thrown in when I need to get away.

Everyone is different but it is asking alot of someone to manage with all the restrictions that a small space requires, especially if they've no previous camping experience. It all sounds romantic being on the road but reality can be different, even when it's someone you know well.

I hope you find what you're looking for & good luck with the parent caring, don't forget to take time for yourself with that?

OP
OP
RobWid

RobWid

Free Member
Sep 25, 2018
Exmouth (at the mo?)
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2018
Hi Thanks everyone for your thoughts - I think having lived so much on my own now then sharing in any situation does seem a challenge. Probably more comfortable with the idea of sharing the experience but each in their own van!

Have also been seriously considering the dog option (less convinced about then other for’s of wildlife) but am wary re potential and uncertain issues around travel in Europe which is where I’d like to head post the UK tour.

Need to plan to keep my sanity!

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
Dodgey if you fall out whilst the wilderness are you going to say it’s my van get out and walk? What happens when he/she finds out you fart a lot and he/she finds out you snore loudly every night. If you go ahead I would suggest a weeks trial to suss each other out.

OP
OP
RobWid

RobWid

Free Member
Sep 25, 2018
Exmouth (at the mo?)
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2018
Dodgey if you fall out whilst the wilderness are you going to say it’s my van get out and walk? What happens when he/she finds out you fart a lot and he/she finds out you snore loudly every night. If you go ahead I would suggest a weeks trial to suss each other out.
Have had exactly those conversations already with a friend of mine ?

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
I have trouble sharing with the mrs let alone an acquaintance or friend for any length of time....?

small dog would be an idea...

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I suggested this to Kirsty Gallacher several times.

The injunction put a stop to it though :(

I have no idea who Kirsty Gallacher is but I surmise she is the object of your stalking, thus the injunction.

Probably part of your devious plot to lose your Practising Licence and get Struck Off, so that you can retire.

Why don't you just retire? Oh forgot, you need the income to be able to afford tickets to watch Wales LOSE.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I have no idea who Kirsty Gallacher is but I surmise she is the object of your stalking, thus the injunction.

Probably part of your devious plot to lose your Practising Licence and get Struck Off, so that you can retire.

Why don't you just retire? Oh forgot, you need the income to be able to afford tickets to watch Wales LOSE.

I think I misspelled her name last night in my excitement. It’s Gallagher and she is the daughter of Bernard Gallagher the golfer and she is my girlfriend.

Well, she is not officially my girlfriend but I am pretty sure she wants to be.

Trouble is I am not allowed within 400 yards of her home so I can’t ask her out.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
especially in a small van, bad weather and dark nights make it feel like a prison cell, trapped with no escaping the person winding you up

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back