just sold the motorhome for bro in law (1 Viewer)

kalamitty

Free Member
Nov 16, 2012
cheshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 89
two weeks ago my bro-in law asked if i would advertise his motorhome on flebay, (as well in the classifieds on this forum). due to his work he couldn't get to use it. a 1999 swift royale. the ad was set to run for 10 days on fleabay, within minutes of it going live we had a phone call asking if we would do a deal so i transfered the call to my bro in law, and it was agreed the the person would arrange a viewing the next day, but as we live in rural wales he would catch a train then get his son who was on holiday nearby to collect him and view. all going good he turned up and said he would buy it at agreed price and left a £100 deposit in cash, and would return the next sat with the rest in cash. now bro started to think what if the cash is dodgy. so on the thurs bro rang buyer asking if he would do a bank transfer, the buyer was cagey and mumbled he didn't want bank to know how much he was worth etc, and he would turn up early with the cash but he was having trouble getting it insured and anyway if the van was ready on viewing he had the cash on him, (10,000) so could have drove it away. and he wanted it registering in his wifes name, and his son would call for it and stay overnight nearby. well sat came and come 12 o clock no one turned up so bro tried ringing first time it was answered but hung up. and other calls were blocked. so we sent a text on another phone to say please collect the van or make arrangements, no answer so we readvertised it for sale, and we received a offer off a dealer which was agreeable, subject to getting a 12 months mot, this was arranged then we had another call from someone who said he was a exporter of motorhomes and he would call and pay cash for it, i replied saying we needed a bacs transfer, oh no probs was the reply, just give me your address and i'll ring when i'm setting off, this one never came near surprise. anyway the van passed the mot. and a young man called jason came to collect the van and did a bacs transfer even happy to wait whilst i rang sis in law to confirm money was in their account. everything was ok. the van is now at a dealers in hampshire. jason mentioned that someone sold for cash and that night someone broke in their house and reclaimed the money, so if anyone is selling for cash make sure you can get it in to the bank, same as taking a deposit the deposit could be legit money, but the bulk could be iffy.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Sounds as though this nearly ended up as justifying your forum name! Well done for getting it to a successful sale. The others sound "well dodgy"!

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
Don't want to sound sceptical but you hear scare stories like this a lot when selling anything for cash.
I've bought and sold with cash many times without ever bing duped ,robbed ,scammed or the likes .Just take the buyer to the bank and pay it in while they stand there if your unsure.
I however hear about peoples cards being cloned and accounts being emptied,people paying electronically for non existing goods.

Vlad

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
K

kalamitty

Free Member
Nov 16, 2012
cheshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 89
that the trouble those paying cash were trying to arrive too late to get to a bank, and all our local banks are closed at weekends. it would mean a 80 mile round trip to nearest open branch.

Reactions: kip

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back