Just Signed On The Dotted Line (1 Viewer)

westy407

Free Member
Nov 17, 2014
essex
Funster No
MH
Burstner aviano i727
Exp
2 years
We have just bought our first motorhome! signed the contract in Belgium yesterday and will collect it at the end of May.
Could anyone recommend a garage in the north Essex area who could carry out the conversion of the speedo and lights.

Thanks

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Welcome and go straight to the top of the class! Buying a MH in Belgium. There's brave. Presumably it has a special chocolate cooler?

But again welcome. Can't help on the speedo I'm afraid. But someone will be able to help soon.

Upvote 0

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
Is it new or new to you.
Did you not ask the Belgium Garage if the could fit the parts?

Mel

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
Surely you can't fit R/H drive headlamps and Speedo until you get to the UK or you would be driving illegally to the port!

Upvote 0

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
I think that's why the OP asked for a garage in the North Essex area :)
Yes but Mel suggested asking the Belgium dealer to fit them which won't be possible IMHO!

Upvote 0

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
Yes but Mel suggested asking the Belgium dealer to fit them which won't be possible IMHO!

Ah yes I see where you're coming from now, forgive me it's past my bedtime!

Upvote 0

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
When someone orders anew vehicle in Belgium if the want Right hand drive the vehicle whould be to UK spec lamps and MPH
The motorhome wpyld be on transit plates so cant see any problem IMO

Upvote 0

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
When someone orders anew vehicle in Belgium if the want Right hand drive the vehicle whould be to UK spec lamps and MPH
The motorhome wpyld be on transit plates so cant see any problem IMO

Yes agreed but they've bought a left hand drive in this case as they have said that they need to have the lights and speedo changed - God give me strength!

Upvote 0

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Westy407
Check the posts from Andy (Tecno100)
I am sure he left his lights with beam benders and had no problem with the UK test.
Also he changed the spedo dial himself.

Mel

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
It would help if you say what you have brought.
If it's an A Class you should be able to to set the lights to straight dipping by moving the leaver on the back of the dip lamps. If it has a Fiat x290 cab the headlamps have only two screws that hold the lamps in, very easy DIY job, sorry can't help on Mercs.
If you can use a screwdriver you can change the speedo dial on a Fiat another very easy DIY job, Mercs now have a digital speed readout as well as a dial, just change the digital one to mph in the setup.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
W

westy407

Free Member
Nov 17, 2014
essex
Funster No
MH
Burstner aviano i727
Exp
2 years
Sorry everyone for not replying sooner but work has taken over as usual!

Thanks for the replies very helpful and amusing.

It's a Burstner Aviano 2013 model and I will be driving back to the UK on transit plates.
I'm hoping that I can adjust the headlights as lennyhb explained and I think I will also try to change the speedo.
But I'm a bit confused about driving to an MOT garage
after I've completed the work.

Am I legal driving on transit plates with the insurance on the Vin number ?

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Not sure what you mean by Transit Insurance, if you buy in Germany you have to get export insurance which is normally only 3rd party, don't know of any other country that does this.
If insuring with a UK insurance company on the Vin plate they will only cover you once on UK soil. We have brought 2 vans in Belgium both time dealer has driven the van to the port on trade plates then we only take the risk on the ferry.

Technically if driving an imported unregistered vehicle you should drive it without number plates, you can drive it home from the port & to a testing station (with a pre arranged appointment) providing it is insured. Our Belgium dealer always fits a set of false Belgium plates although driving in the UK with them is illegal but far less chance of being stopped than if driving with no plates, as long as you are insured I doubt if Mr plod would be worried.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
W

westy407

Free Member
Nov 17, 2014
essex
Funster No
MH
Burstner aviano i727
Exp
2 years
Thanks for your advice Lennyhb.

I have to visit a company in Brussels with proof of I D and also an invoice from the dealership and then I will be given some transit plates that are valid for two weeks and include insurance, third party i think ?
The dealer never mentioned dropping it off at the port,but we are their first customers from the UK and it might be worth asking the question.

I was a bit concerned about driving in the uk without any plates I never thought that was legal.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Thanks for your advice Lennyhb.

I have to visit a company in Brussels with proof of I D and also an invoice from the dealership and then I will be given some transit plates that are valid for two weeks and include insurance, third party i think ?
I didn't know you could do that in Belgium.

I was a bit concerned about driving in the uk without any plates I never thought that was legal.
As I said best to leave the Belgium plates on, far less chance of being stopped.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back