Just sharing an experience...... (1 Viewer)

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
During my recent 5 week France & Iberia bimble (solo) my route took me along a stretch of Spanish highway cluttered with tunnels of varying lengths. All were signed for dipped headlights and I started by turning them on/off at each tunnel but as the tunnels got closer I just left them on.
Pulled into a quiet spot for a lunch break and early afternoon zzzzzzz, twas a scorching sunny day.
Some hours later and much refreshed I went to move off - you've guessed it - I'd left my headlights on and my ageing starter batteries just made that awful rer rer rer sound.

Although my PVC is a bit vintage it does still have that alarm for when you open the drivers door when the lights are on but - it don't work if you move from the drivers seat into the rear of the camper without opening that door!

Earlier in the year I'd fitted a lowly 80W solar and the van already had a Battery Master taken from a previous van of mine.
Within an hour that lovely little red light was glowing and 2 hours later there was enough juice in the engine batteries to fire her up again.
I know it can't all be down to that trickle feed but I like to think it helped.

The moral of this long winded saga, don't get old.

OP
OP
GeriatricWanderer

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
I believe that getting old is far, far better than the alternative...

JJ :cool:

I don't. When old you will be aware of all the sensations of being old. When dead you won't be aware of anything including being dead.
That's a bit deep for a Sunday afternoon.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Nice when it works, glad to hear it didn't become a problem :)(y)

we had similar, more self inflicted in my case where I misused 12V sockets in the cab area for running my laptop to keep all you lot informed of my travels through France at that time

came to move, couldn't start, worked out that in a bit the sun would move round and catch the solar panel, currently parked under a tree o_O, then was doing mental arithmetic on how long might it take to firstly top up the hab batts then the cab battery, not having a B2B thingie, decided to call the RAC instead

Did that in my best Franglais and even got complemented on my pronunciation of Pont de l'Arche :):), decided to lift my bonnet to make it obvious it was me needing help, with which a Frenchman next to me promptly appears to ask what is wrong in brilliant French but no chance for me to easily reply

Le batterie est mort, was a good as I could get, no idea what jump leads translate as, be got the gist and started up a generator, we ran our hook up lead and adaptor to him and charged MH, 15 minutes later we were started, much shaking of hands and the passing of a bottle of vin rouge

The breakdown man arrives, slightly confused about who might be broken down, our engine is running by now, but he still insists on getting out his jump pack, making me turn off and jump starting me again o_O I am sure it would have started again without his battery pack

but all ended well :)(y)

my moral is when you believe something needs to be changed (in our case the cab battery) just do it, don't wait for the fourth jump start o_Oo_O

changed 2 years ago and banned myself from charging off front sockets when parked :):)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
During my recent 5 week France & Iberia bimble (solo) my route took me along a stretch of Spanish highway cluttered with tunnels of varying lengths. All were signed for dipped headlights and I started by turning them on/off at each tunnel but as the tunnels got closer I just left them on.
Pulled into a quiet spot for a lunch break and early afternoon zzzzzzz, twas a scorching sunny day.
Some hours later and much refreshed I went to move off - you've guessed it - I'd left my headlights on and my ageing starter batteries just made that awful rer rer rer sound.

Although my PVC is a bit vintage it does still have that alarm for when you open the drivers door when the lights are on but - it don't work if you move from the drivers seat into the rear of the camper without opening that door!

Earlier in the year I'd fitted a lowly 80W solar and the van already had a Battery Master taken from a previous van of mine.
Within an hour that lovely little red light was glowing and 2 hours later there was enough juice in the engine batteries to fire her up again.

The clues in your username. :) But a useful lesson. We have a battery master and it is easy to think it is there just to keep the vehicle l battery topped up but of course if it is flat it can do a recharge, though it doesn't push a lot of amps out so it will take a little time.
An alternative approach would be to use jump leads from the leisure battery.

OP
OP
GeriatricWanderer

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
.............An alternative approach would be to use jump leads from the leisure battery.

Well I did spend a while with my jump leads trying to stretch them a metre longer than they are, then trying to decide if I could strip down my spare hook-up to make a jump lead extension , then a while trying to work out just how long it would take me to move my leisure battery near enough to use my jump leads. Fortunately while I was doing all that my engine batteries came back to life.

But, I will definitely be knocking up a longer set of jump leads for my emergency box, and yes I know, the longer the lead the less punch comes out the other end.

Of possible interest - It's an 03 reg Toyota and the engine batteries are Japanese OE so I guess long overdue replacements might be a good idea.

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
If anyone needs help with a battery in France the word is "piles". Good luck with them jump starting you.

Reactions: DBK
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
We should be touring with our geriatric camper as soon as Friday
Bill

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I don't. When old you will be aware of all the sensations of being old. When dead you won't be aware of anything including being dead.
That's a bit deep for a Sunday afternoon.

A jest I hope... otherwise too sad for a happy youngster like me... :whistle:

(I stared Death in the face last Saturday and he backed down. The big woosie)

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Quite frankly @JJ - I don't think humans usually get 9 lives - and don't really think you ought to push it.

Plus I doubt you did face him - you have not mentioned seeing even a fleeting glance of Binky. Anyway - we always know when he appears, cos he speaks in capitals.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Quite frankly @JJ - I don't think humans usually get 9 lives - and don't really think you ought to push it.

Plus I doubt you did face him - you have not mentioned seeing even a fleeting glance of Binky. Anyway - we always know when he appears, cos he speaks in capitals.

Excuse me Ms Sedge...

You weren't there in the middle of the blazing fire with your lungs full of acrid smoke and, for a moment or two, no visible escape route.

Luckily my lungs were strong after making all those balloon animals in an earlier life.

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
You might like to consider running some cables of the correct size from the hab battery to an Anderson socket permanently mounted in the engine bay then fit an anderson plug to one end of your jump leads. It would make a nice tidy job and eliminate one pair of crocodile clips.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I had gone down the route of carrying a long pair of jump leads, paid a small fortune for them, first time we needed them (third jump start) though no problem here, got the leads out, never even opened yet, they reached perfectly, clipped one lead to engine jump point (found that thanks to RAC as our battery is buried under the passenger footwell) then found I cant clip on the hab batteries clips are too big to fit under the charger which sits more or less on top of the batteries

The better ones amongst you lot would have removed the battery, but that would involve using more tools than I am allowed to carry, give me too many tools I could really get in a pickle o_O

but at least we had jump leads, I despatched a very cross with me Bev, who reappeared with a young man in a Peugeot and we got jump started on the Belgium French border, only had to endure one more flat battery event before I knew (was told in no uncertain terms) it was time to buy new (y)(y)

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Not hijacking the thread - Just wanted JJ to know I was horrified at what he had to go through. However - my way of dealing with such awfulness is always to find out if the people it concerns are OK - which thanks to his own quick thinking and the neighbourliness of his neighbours, he was - then try and find the humour in something that wasn't remotely funny.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: at the reference to balloon animals !

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
I suffered a very flat engine battery in Ypres and even jumping from a car wouldn't start me, ADAC were out within half an hour and had me running in minutes cause of the flat battery was failed alternator diodes.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Slightly off to the side , but what are the rules on lights in tunnels, I have running lights and they are bright but is it specifically dipped headlights. My car has auto headlights and they are brilliant but the van light do stay on without the ignition and in daytime I would be in the same position.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Sounds like time for a rewire, should be an easy job to rewire the lights via an ignition switched relay.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Well I did spend a while with my jump leads trying to stretch them a metre longer than they are, then trying to decide if I could strip down my spare hook-up to make a jump lead extension , then a while trying to work out just how long it would take me to move my leisure battery near enough to use my jump leads. Fortunately while I was doing all that my engine batteries came back to life.

But, I will definitely be knocking up a longer set of jump leads for my emergency box, and yes I know, the longer the lead the less punch comes out the other end.

Of possible interest - It's an 03 reg Toyota and the engine batteries are Japanese OE so I guess long overdue replacements might be a good idea.

Instead of long jump leads, I keep one of these in my tool kit:

Broken Link Removed

As long as there's juice in the hab battery this can get me going again.

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
In the "good old days" we took our tent and camped overnight before a job interview in Grimsby (does that sound desperate?). Arriving late in the evening, the headlights were needed to see how to erect the tent. :whistle:

You know what happens next (n)

Fortunately, the car was a Morris Traveller and the starting handle solved the problem (y)(y)(y)

Could that be the solution for some of the lighter vehicles of today? I wouldn't fancy trying to turn my diesel lump be hand :LOL:.

Gordon

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Slightly off to the side , but what are the rules on lights in tunnels, I have running lights and they are bright but is it specifically dipped headlights. My car has auto headlights and they are brilliant but the van light do stay on without the ignition and in daytime I would be in the same position.
To the best of my knowledge, DRLs are acceptable when fitted. I did a search a little while back, and every resource I found said something along the lines of "dipped lights required where daytime running lights are not fitted"

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years

Doesn't really matter where you managed to find those extra amps, it worked which is the main thing.(y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back