Just saying hello with question already!!! (1 Viewer)

S

Smudger 41

Deleted User
Hi everyone have just joined and would like to say hello .I have had a motorhome now for just over a year swift kon tikki 645. Just bought a 13 watt briefcase solar panel to keep leisure battery topped up connected through 12v lighter socket but evey time i check it the battery is always flat ??Any idea what im doing wrong ? ::bigsmile:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
which lighter socket is it plugged into? the one on the dash !

the dash socket wont charge the leisure battery,...gotta plug it in to something on the 'house' side

by the way....welcome to the fun

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
I think you will find the dash socket is only live when the ignition is on, if that is the case then it will not charge the vehical battery either.:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
Hi, Smudger, welcome to the fun site, I concur that you may be plugging the solar panel into the engine battery. Unfortunately a solar panel won't charge your flat leisure battery up - they only provide a trickle charge so the battery needs charging off the vehicle first, then connect the solar panel to it directly by croc clips if you don't have a suitable socke inside the van. This should then keep the charge whilst not using the van .Of course it's better to have the van on hookup if possible -is it at the side of your house? if not a solar panel should help.
Hope this clarifies things a bit. By the way where are you in the country?
Regards, Dave:thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Unfortunately a solar panel won't charge your flat leisure battery up - they only provide a trickle charge

forgot to mention that bit :Doh:
a 13watt certainly wont charge it as its less than 1amp depending on available sunlight.
but it will keep it topped up if there is no other drain on the 'house' battery.

OP
OP
S

Smudger 41

Deleted User
Hi everyone thanks for the replys..The 12v socket is on the house side its where i plug 12v tv in. Is a 13watt panel not powerful enough then to charge battery..:cry:Anyone want to buy solar panel !!!!!!!! Should of joined this sooner:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi everyone thanks for the replys..The 12v socket is on the house side its where i plug 12v tv in. Is a 13watt panel not powerful enough then to charge battery..:cry:Anyone want to buy solar panel !!!!!!!! Should of joined this sooner:thumb:

as already said mate, it will only maintain a fully charged battery.

i have a 120w panel on the roof and that only chucks out around 7 to 8amp on a normal english day. about the same as a 'halfords' type home charger.
as most of our useage is on a night it nicely charges the batteries the next day :thumb:

Tony Lee

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Funster No
Just as the dash socket isn't live unless the ignition is in the ACC position, a house socket may not be live unless the house electrical panel is switched on. Plug the TV in. If it works then unplugging it and plugging the panel in will supply some charge to the battery.

As others have pointed out, unless the panel is in full sun most of the day, the panel may not be big enough to keep up with some of the fixed loads (perhaps referred to as phantom loads) in some motorhomes. Winter time with the panel in the shade between neighbouring houses, and the output of the panel may be close to zero.

A flat battery becomes a permanently dead or severely damaged battery within a few days - and a flat battery can also freeze if it is a flooded cell type - so getting it fully charged ASAP is the main priority. The panel can't do it so you will need shore power and a mains three stage battery charger

OP
OP
S

Smudger 41

Deleted User
Thanks Tony for your reply i have since found out that the socket is dead unless i leave the 12 v on and that is why nothink happened with the panel .Can t get the battery out from under front passenger seat there is just no room to twist it out ...Any ideas:Eeek:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
.Can t get the battery out from under front passenger seat there is just no room to twist it out ...Any ideas:Eeek:

you need to undo the four allen bolts holding the seat in place....two at the back in the runner channel(slide the seat fully forward.) and two at the front down the front face of the seat box.

no other way to get it out.

they might be the 6 or 12 point star type bolts....mine were but i changed 'em for normal allen bolts.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back