Because my lappy won't fit in my pocket
Because my lappy doesn't go two weeks without charging
Because my lappy can't be read in the sun
Because my lappy is difficult to read in bed/bath :ROFLMAO:
Because my lappy cost £399 without free 3G

Must hundreds of other reasons. ::bigsmile:

Ian
:Smile:

Ahh but my Kindle app is on my pocket sized Android phone. I am sure a kindle is great, but if it was just a book reader i wouldn't even consider one.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Tried it, got fed up squinting, screen's to small. Some multi-function devices work, some don't. A phones for phoning, an ereader's for reading. ::bigsmile:

Ian

Douzeper

Funster
Nov 23, 2010
Antrim, Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Tried it, got fed up squinting, screen's to small. Some multi-function devices work, some don't. A phones for phoning, an ereader's for reading. ::bigsmile:

Ian

Yes you are probably correct, but it's still why people ask "what else can it do" :)

I want to feel one in my hands before purchasing one, I must do that soon.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
It took me until this year to buy one, I love books, I just couldn't convince myself that it could replace a book. Avid reader me, only shop I go in, the wife can leave me in Waterstones and come back two hours later and confidently expect to find me within 5yds of where she left me. ::bigsmile:

Its not perfect, you can't just flick back to check on a map, or if you've lost the plot, which I do often. ::bigsmile: I tend to read more than one book at a time, and kindle remembers where I stopped reading, trouble is without covers, I sometimes can't remember what book I was reading.:Smile:

Its enabled me to give most of my books to the charity shop, still got some but their never likely to be digitised. They don't suit everybody, my Brother in law is also a great reader, but he just can't get on with them.

I do use my phone for reading a bit of news, but a whole book?

Ian

Douzeper

Funster
Nov 23, 2010
Antrim, Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I do use my phone for reading a bit of news, but a whole book?

Ian

I have read three books now on my phone, ok the screen is smaller than the pages of a book but not by that much, I do luckily enough have great eyesight. I still have quite a few of them old fashioned paper books still to read :)

I must make a point tomorrow to shoot over to pc world and have a closer look at the kindle.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I have one and it's great. I have the Kindle app on my iPad as well. The kindle and the iPad talk to each other so if I am reading the same book on both it constantly tells me what page I have reached.

The technology astonishes me to be honest.

GeraldandAnnie

Free Member
Aug 6, 2007
Essex coast
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2006
We had Sony readers for a couple of years, and we used them a reasonable amount. The justification for change for us was the free 3G thing. During our extended trips abroad, we used to scrabble around for McDonalds or WiFi from a campsite. Now, we can do everything we need to do from our chairs under the awning - email, forum browsing, Ebay, even logging in to the bank. Everything takes a while, but that's not a problem. We're in no rush :roflmto:

Having got the things, we use them all the time. During our spring trip (France / Spain), we were away for 10 weeks, I read over 50 books, Annie read over 40 books. There is no way we could have done this with dead tree books.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
We had Sony readers for a couple of years, and we used them a reasonable amount. The justification for change for us was the free 3G thing. During our extended trips abroad, we used to scrabble around for McDonalds or WiFi from a campsite. Now, we can do everything we need to do from our chairs under the awning - email, forum browsing, Ebay, even logging in to the bank. Everything takes a while, but that's not a problem. We're in no rush :roflmto:

Having got the things, we use them all the time. During our spring trip (France / Spain), we were away for 10 weeks, I read over 50 books, Annie read over 40 books. There is no way we could have done this with dead tree books.

50 books!!! Gerald did you have time for a holiday? ::bigsmile:

Ian

GeraldandAnnie

Free Member
Aug 6, 2007
Essex coast
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2006
50 books!!! Gerald did you have time for a holiday? ::bigsmile:

:ROFLMAO: Oh yes. For the first time, we ambled around, and sometimes spent several days in one place. After breakfast, and a walk with the dog, and a walk to the boulanger for bread, what is there to do? :winky:

brodie

Free Member
Mar 12, 2010
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2008
I got a Kindle for Christmas off the hubby and I love it. We have just been to France for 3 weeks and I managed to read 5 books which isn't bad with 3 kids!

I have just ordered one for my eldest daughters birthday she is 10 a week on Monday and loves reading, I got the leather lighted case with mine which I would recommend.

I am hoping she gets some pennies off others so she can put that towards her own!

It's better than buying her a load of rubbish and it will be a total surprise as she really hasn't asked for anything specific, I hope she likes it. I'm sure she will she is always asking to use mine!

:thumb:

May 8, 2010
South Wales
Funster No
MH
RollerTeam T-Line785
Exp
since 2009
Would not be without mine. One of the best gadgets I have bought for a while. Invaluable in the motorhome - read loads of books while away in France and saved the space books take up for more wine lol :ROFLMAO:

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Right choice, Dave.
Loads of free (legit) downloads available, even from Amazon.
Books out of copyright tend to be free on there.
I've spent 76pence on a book since Xmas.
Sundance recommended obooko (legit free downloads, free to register).
Good site.
Wouldnt be without mine, brill bit of kit.

John, thanks for the link, have registered all fine and it looks good, but do I load the books straight on to my Kindle or have to load them on to my lap top first, know its probably obvious but I have tried and can not find instructions any help of anyone would be appreciated. thanks.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Carol, you download from Obooko (or Smashwords or any other non-Amazon site) to your PC. Then plug in the Kindle to a USB port, open Windows Explorer and drag the file(s) over to the Documents folder on the Kindle.

No doubt there is a similar method on a Mac.

LickeyEndBlues

Free Member
Oct 25, 2011
Bromsgrove
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 582
Exp
2years but caravanned for years
Both Kindle owners here. save so much on space!! We used to have around 30 books cluttering up the front lockers of the caravan, now we could have 6,000 in the glove box!!
Shani uses hers loads, I still read books but do find the Kindle so easy to read. I have found though that my Amazon recommends list is starting to get pricey!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back