Nov 2, 2012
Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
16 months
Hi, I've just joined.
If anyone wonders why I've chosen 'The Mahout' for a username, it's quite simple: I call the motorhome 'The White Elephant'.

It's a sixteen year old Swift Royale, and although the vehicle had only travelled some 65 thousand miles when we bought it, it been used a lot. At least one of the previous owners was a bit of a bodge artist, and I keep finding his handiwork.

I'm having to do a lot of work to bring it up to a reliable standard. This of course costs money and means the van can't be used as much as we wanted - hence its name.

Here are a couple of little examples: The plastic push-fit drain pipe from the kitchen sink had a right-angle bend which had split. Instead of spending a couple of quid on a new bend, someone had tried to fix it with some PTFE tape and a cable tie - yes - a cable tie!

The outlet pipe from the grey water tank had somehow lost the securing nut from inside the tank. So rather than fit a replacement nut, he tried to glue the pipe on with some kind of mastic.

oh, and I doubt if the AL-KO rear axle had been greased for donkey's years. it failed and I've had to get it repaired.

You get the idea - one of the 'van's previous owners was none too bright!

I'm lucky that I can do a lot of the work myself. It can be quite satisfying, and I know it's being done properly. I've learned a lot about motorhomes in the sixteen months since we've had the thing.

Anyway, my wife and I are retired and our time is our own. We have taken to motorhoming like ducks to water, and we weren't not put off by a bit of cold weather last winter. The van's got a lovely blown air heater, and we were toasty-warm. This winter's going to be even better, now we have some more experience.

Harry

Jul 17, 2012
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
1 year on and loving it!
Hullo and welcome - I'm still a total novice, not even got my van yet, so I envy you and your 'white elephant'.

Have fun on here - they're all as mad as march hares, but lovely with it! :winky:

billy

Free Member
Jan 10, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
since 2009
Hi and welcome
It sounds like you have a few tasks on your hand but its great fun tinkering:thumb:
So glad you are enjoying motorhoming:thumb:
billy

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi Harry, sometimes it can be a bit perplexing looking at what previous owners have done. But you sound like you'll soon be on top of it all and then out enjoying yourself. Welcome to the Fun :thumb:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
hi and welcome to the fun, my last van was like that and I spent more time fixing it than using it, we put that right with this one even so some call it the eternal flame because (according to them) it never goes out. Anyway I digress anything you need to know just ask away and we shall do our best to confuse you with conflicting answers.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: /Do check out the chatroom.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi and welcome to fun

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Hi Harry, I'm the owner of your van that did all the superb DIY, I saved a fortune with P.T.F.E Gaffer and Duc Tape.

Only Joking, :welcomefunster: .... Griff

Motor-Home Travel, on Tarmac or Gravel

A Week or Two in the Sun

If you have any trouble or Technical Muddle

Find the answer in Motor-Home Fun

Welcome to the bestest Motor Home forum on the interwebbythingy

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries