just how good should my 2.8 fiat pull? (1 Viewer)

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
We have the "newer" 2.8jtd and I think we have the same 5th gear as you, if we hit a hill doing 65-70 I will have to drop to 4th gear. We don't tow anything and are under 3.5t. So with your weight I'd say dropping to 4th gear is normal.
I have a 2.8JTD Tag 5ton and I used to have to drop into 4th for anything steeper than a gradual climb. I had the exhaust upgraded to a vortex system and can now climb the Pennines in 5th gear, that is unless I am running into a headwind. It made a big difference in driveability on hills but it still cant be classed as fast though.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
I have a 2.8JTD Tag 5ton and I used to have to drop into 4th for anything steeper than a gradual climb. I had the exhaust upgraded to a vortex system and can now climb the Pennines in 5th gear, that is unless I am running into a headwind. It made a big difference in driveability on hills but it still cant be classed as fast though.
Never heard of them, what are they and where from?

Got your earlier posts now. :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
friar tuck

friar tuck

Free Member
Nov 15, 2011
redruth cornwall
Funster No
MH
a class rv
Exp
im a newbie
jezport thanks for that it turns out i had my van motd 2 miles away by a garage who is an agent for Vortex exhausts,he was trying to sell me a system then as mine is very rusty (passed mot) and he suggested a new one before any euro trips.He was quoting me £350 plus vat admittedly no mention of Vortex just a stainless exhaust custom made.i will need to go back to him and ask about the vortex silencer?

jtp890

Free Member
May 16, 2014
wakefield
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7014
Exp
13 years on n off
Many years ago I ran a compass drifter on a fiat base. Test drove on country roads fine, purchased and found waggons overtaking me on motorway inclines. Found turbo cut in stuck closed.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Many years ago I ran a compass drifter on a fiat base. Test drove on country roads fine, purchased and found waggons overtaking me on motorway inclines. Found turbo cut in stuck closed.
Hence why I asked what the top speed was ... as it goes over 60mph then the waste gate (ie the problem you had) is working fine.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back