Just heard -Italy won't refill any LPG anywhere??!! (1 Viewer)

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Therefor if you own a car converted to run on LPG, it will also run on natural gas?

No different gas, need new tanks for a start. Natural gas is either stored at high pressure, 3000psi or cryogenic.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
No different gas, need new tanks for a start. Natural gas is either stored at high pressure, 3000psi or cryogenic.
Thanks for that. I have used LPG over many years in different vehicles, but have never seen natural gas for sale.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
They are very rare ( for good reason !!.. storing the stuff ! )

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Make sure you have a "Proper" outside fill point and they wont know what your filling(y)
Having to open a locker to fill makes you a target for refusal:(
G
I had a choice to have internal or external filling point but as I didn't want the integrity of my moho broken, I chose the former. Plus, if there is a sign saying no motorhomes filling with gas, it won't matter if it's internal or external

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Thanks for that. I have used LPG over many years in different vehicles, but have never seen natural gas for sale.
There's quite a few sites about that pump and/or store natural gas. Mid sized on near Carrington called, weirdly enough, LNG. It's not something an individual would buy as it's not for sale like that. To use it in our gas systems it has to be diluted with other gasses and odour added.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
mind years ago it was incredibly common for garages to ask if you were using uk bottles when travelling in italy and coming out and topping them up for you . most had adaptors to fill anything .
how times have changed .

Jan 23, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 660SP
Exp
25 years
The service stations on the autostradas won't fill MHs but away from it was OK when we were there. I seem to recall it is a tax thing. Gas for cooking is taxed more than gas for vehicles. But I could be wrong. :)

Someone pays tax in Italy? :)

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Since 2012 + Caravanner for 20+ years
Have just got back from Italy, we have filler point in locker, had hose connected as attendant rushed out to say no, not for cooking. Thought ok will fill on motorway then. Got hose connected, but no gas. attendant came out and asked how much and was happy to fill even though he is looking at 2 cylinders. So it seems some will, some wont. Just try the next one. On second pump the button was the cut off, the fill was a switch so no need to keep it held in while filling.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
There's quite a few sites about that pump and/or store natural gas. Mid sized on near Carrington called, weirdly enough, LNG. It's not something an individual would buy as it's not for sale like that. To use it in our gas systems it has to be diluted with other gasses and odour added.

LNG=Liquified Natural Gas, this is done by cooling it to below -163C
CNG= Compressed Natural Gas, according to wiki, between 2,900-3,600psi

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Seems like those refusing to sell it will be loosing out , as there are a fair few MH's out there :)

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Seems like those refusing to sell it will be loosing out , as there are a fair few MH's out there :)
It may be that certain companies have issued guidelines and some are open to interpretation and some decide to err on the side of caution and not allow filling for any other reason than gas powered vehicles

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
I was passing on a text I got.
He wasn't scare mongering.
He was telling me he hadn't been able to fill up anywhere in Italy this week (around Lake Guardia)

Dazzlin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 31, 2012
La Marina, Costa Blanca.
Funster No
MH
1986 Hymer A Class
Exp
From 2013
Thanks for pointing
But he texted saying he has been refused everywhere he had tried everywhere en route to and at Lake Guardia
,@Dazzlin could you tell me where you filled up? I want to try and collate obliging garages. Also we are heading to the dolomites for skiing later so that is good news. Is there any snow there yet,?

It was just a few km from Taibon Agordino cc 10187.

We then proceeded over the 'hill' at peaks of 1,800 & 1,900m to Conegliano. Saw snow on the mountain tops in the distance and it tried to snow on the peaks as we were driving over but not enough for a snowman!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back