Just had 4 new tyres fitted discount code in thread (1 Viewer)

Autowbars

Free Member
Dec 1, 2012
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
Since 2010
Hello folks, just had four new tyres fitted today.
Decided on Continental Vanco Camper.
£567 for four, fitted, balanced, new PROPER valves.
Really pleased with them. They look MUCH better tread wise than Michies XC camping which I have always used.
The only thing that upset me was that the ones being replaced, Michelins, had loads of tread but at 5 years old the walls were goosed.
Now for the interesting bit, to me anyway.
Bought on the net from tyres on the drive dot com.
Bought Weds eve, appointment confirmed Thurs morn by phone and email.
Fitter turned up BANG ON TIME.
Friday 11am.
checked everything on a computer, tyres fitted, balanced with professionalism.
Really nice chap.
Even fitted my new locking wheel nuts.

Well here is the bit for folk maybe wanting tyres
Use code T0TD57. Could be an o instead of zero.
For 10% discount.
They do say they are up to 40% cheaper than the high st.
I did a bit of research before buying, could maybe got them supply only cheaper, but then add fitting cost and travel to fitter did not add up well.
I have NO involvement with the company just
A VERY HAPPY CUSTOMER.
::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Wet and cold place outside of M25
Funster No
MH
4 wheels and a pointy end
Exp
still in nappies
Tyres

I was in getting a pair of boots on my company car today and asked for a quote for my van. They were very keen to do business. Local fitters that our firm had done a deal with, lorry's vans and cars.

Continental vanco campers 215x70x15's with metal valves, fitted and balanced £111 each.

Mine are coming up 7 year old with loads of tread and no sign of perishing. This year I shall not be doing anything strenuous, however like myself knocking on a bit, so will have them done before I hit any extended motorway jaunts.

Oh yes, I know, there is always somebody with a blacker cat ::bigsmile:

OP
OP
Autowbars

Autowbars

Free Member
Dec 1, 2012
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
Since 2010
Just make sure you are getting CAMPERs, I had a few quotes, then found out they had quoted for VAN tyres, not campers.
If quote correct I stand corrected.

Tyres fitted today actually have a MH silhouette on the wall

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Funster No
MH
Exp
still in nappies
Yes I understand they were campers but I haven't gone ahead with them, they (Soltyres Heathhall Dumfries) didn't know I had no immediate intentions so don't think it was a bluff.

Actually my van has ordinary vanco's (not campers) fitted as from new and as I said are visually in really good condition, however they are date of manufacture 2007 so on my list to be replaced :Sad:

They did also offer Michelin camper types at £123.

weejohnw

Free Member
Aug 3, 2008
Richhill
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Started August 2008
four Michilens fitted etc £400.oo
"08 van had 2007 tyres which were well cracked, though not too deep, decided peace of mind was well worth it.

jetsets

Free Member
Jan 26, 2012
derby
Funster No
MH
hitop
Exp
time to replace

Just had a tyre Blow on my MH.

It was a Continental Vanco Camper

Looks to be about 7/8 years old. Loads of tread, correctly inflated - Sidewall bllew, but tyre stayed partially inflated which was useful on smart section of M62 as it allowed us to creep to the emergency refuge ( at the request of the police - much safer than in dual purpose hard shoulder lane)

So I recommend changing tyres after a few years. Now looking for a supply of new tyres ( got ripped off by breakdown firm who fitted a cheapo Chinese tyre as a replacement)

OP
OP
Autowbars

Autowbars

Free Member
Dec 1, 2012
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
Since 2010
Update.

Drove 200 miles at the weekend, seemed very quiet, and maybe less roll than MIchies.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid

Looks to be about 7/8 years old. Loads of tread, correctly inflated - Sidewall bllew, but tyre stayed partially inflated which was useful on smart section of M62 as it allowed us to creep to the emergency refuge ( at the request of the police - much safer than in dual purpose hard shoulder lane)

So I recommend changing tyres after a few years. Now looking for a supply of new tyres ( got ripped off by breakdown firm who fitted a cheapo Chinese tyre as a replacement)
just proves the advice regarding changing tyres at 5 years old is very much valid. you can check the date of the tyres easily as its written on the tyre wall in a simple code
Broken Link Removed

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Funster No
MH
Exp
still in nappies

Snap mine same age, you have got me concerned ! :Sad:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Snap mine same age, you have got me concerned ! :Sad:
inspect the tyres under load, and if any signs of cracks, splits or bulges, replace immediately. a lot of the damage is inside the wall of the tyre so cant be seen

my mate who has been a tyre fitter all his working life regards any damaged tyre on a motorhome as a ticking timebomb waiting for the slightest reason to go off. remember these tyres are under full load conditions continuously and at a high pressure too. when people drive knowing a tyre is faulty and somebody gets injured its not just a moral principle you are legally liable up to and including manslaughter

there was a major coach crash a while back where the operator had fitted an old out of date tyre to the coach. they were prosecuted for manslaughter

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Funster No
MH
Exp
still in nappies
inspect the tyres under load, and if any signs of cracks, splits or bulges, replace immediately. a lot of the damage is inside the wall of the tyre so cant be seen

my mate who has been a tyre fitter all his working life regards any damaged tyre on a motorhome as a ticking timebomb waiting for the slightest reason to go off. remember these tyres are under full load conditions continuously and at a high pressure too. when people drive knowing a tyre is faulty and somebody gets injured its not just a moral principle you are legally liable up to and including manslaughter

there was a major coach crash a while back where the operator had fitted an old out of date tyre to the coach. they were prosecuted for manslaughter

Yes I am with you 100% I have been examining them VERY carefully and seriously they look in great Nick . However I am really concerned, I was just hoping to coax them thro to next year when I mean to hit the road big style, retiring ! Och I think I will get them done, if I get 5 or 6 years out of them then I may hang my keys up by then anyway. Will be hitting mid 70s by then . And who knows what may come along by then, but at least we should be safe.:winky:

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
Tyres and age

hi guys I have commented on many tyre threads on forums,trying to give advice but very few people take that advice.again tyres on RV,s motorhomes and caravans,regardless of wether they look in mint condition,should be changed at a maximum 7yrs.at that age there is a lot of internal degradation that cannot be seen,and they can blow out without warning.so from the safety and peace of mind aspect alone don't let them run any longer that 7yrs.:Smile:
brian and jo

jetsets

Free Member
Jan 26, 2012
derby
Funster No
MH
hitop
Exp
tyres on the drive no cover for derby area

Hi just tried TOTD and they don't cover where I live unfortunately, the derby area, although their website says midlands and has a circle on the map which includes our area, doh!

slverdreamers

Free Member
Nov 22, 2009
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
18yrs
Tyres.

Just got a new to us second hand Geist motorhome, took it to Dave Newell for full habitation and service. Brilliant service. He gave a photo of the middle of our tyres, we thought they were out of date, but this really shook us up. The previous owner had told he had had them checked and they were okay, rubbish they were 10years old. Up shot of it is we are having 5 new tyres fitted, including spare which has never been on a vehicle fitted at home today, ouch, then off on our adventures tomorrow.
Why don't they make it a requirement of the MOT. The previous owner had been driving around for the last two years with a one year old baby in the van. I am going to send him the photo.
Pete.

jetsets

Free Member
Jan 26, 2012
derby
Funster No
MH
hitop
Exp
etyres discount code refused as already discounted

just tried buying tyres with etyres and tried to use mmm subscribers discount code - man on phone says it doesn't apply as cost of two tyres is already discounted and that discount is more than the MMM one?

life is complicated ain't it?

Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
When I bought my TEC in November I was assured the tyres were fine. They looked to have plenty of tread left and it had just passed its mot.
I only did about a couple hundred miles in it over the winter.On having the vehicle checked prior to trip to Belgium end of April it was found that 5 of the 6 (twin rear wheel) were starting to crack in the treads. They had been on the van from new 2006
I had six new Hankooks fitted and felt a lot happier driving it over to Belgium .:Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back