Just found an attempted stowaway (1 Viewer)

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
on our way back via Eurotunnel, we stopped at the pet check in, joking about the illegals probably having a day off as its Sunday. We got back to the van and our beagle was very interested in sniffing under the van. So, I looked underneath and a young man was hanging on between the rear steadies. I told him to get down and he went on his way back to the woods with a smile and a handshake.
Scary place to try and hang on, there isn't much room and he was suspended between his neck and ankles. I would have given him less than an hour before he fell off!
We told French border security who looked under the van, then UK border control who were a bit more interested.
So, if you go to the pet check in, it's worth looking underneath before you drive off!
We are on the tunnel now, this happened at midday, so they don't all try it at night!
Allan

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Wow, Allan, thank goodness you found him. You would have felt terrible if the first you knew was a bump as he fell off under the wheels.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Well done Allan. I doubt anyone could hide from the nose of a Beagle maybe we should all get one :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 3, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
since 1998
Can't beat a good dog for scenting illegals, I think our new Staffie will put the wind up any who try it on our van

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
We made sure Meg had a good look under the MH the last time we stopped at the pet bit of the tunnel. I couldn't see how anyone could hang on underneath but apparently it can be done. My eldest son had one hang on under a coach he was on, only found after they left the M20.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Seems to be the Pet Area all the time, as I said we came through on Tuesday no pets no sign of them.

dewaltman

Free Member
May 19, 2008
south wales
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
5 years , tugging for 27 years
Simple solution that authorities seem reluctant to do is cut the bushes down and they have nowhere to hide or put some security guards there , it really is a small area to patrol and why the pet passport officials don't warn you is beyond belief since it happened to me this is the 6th motorhome that I've read about that illegals have been found under in the last 4 weeks no need to be nervous of calais or change plans just check underneath your van

Jackyboy61

Free Member
Jun 6, 2014
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Interesting program on 132 5*+1 on illegal immigrants trying to get into UK through Calais

Aug 6, 2011
Chester-le-Street, UK
Funster No
MH
Malibu 640 GtRb
Exp
since 2011
2014-09-19-766.jpg Our dog was supposed to be checking out the van while waiting for the ferry.....hmmm , obviously taking no notice as usual!!!

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
We came through last Wednesday and I stayed with the van while Val took the dogs to get their chips read, but on the way into Calais, on the eastbound carriageway we saw a guy possibly from Chad, doing an impression of Chad behind the wind deflector of an artic :eek:

OP
OP
Allanm

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
Simple solution that authorities seem reluctant to do is cut the bushes down and they have nowhere to hide or put some security guards there , it really is a small area to patrol and why the pet passport officials don't warn you is beyond belief since it happened to me this is the 6th motorhome that I've read about that illegals have been found under in the last 4 weeks no need to be nervous of calais or change plans just check underneath your van
The UK police seemed surprised when I told them. We also told them that when we told the French Duane, there were no Eurotunnel reps around so she was going to notify them to get patrols in the Pet travel centre car park. The bushes have been cut right back but the trees are there and you can see right into the woods, but the ground drops away from the car park ground level and I suppose it's easy for anybody to hide there. A couple of people wandering around would be a good deterrent
Allan

AuldCodger

Free Member
Nov 25, 2009
?
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Sorry to all the other posters but after seeing that Allanm has a Beagle that captured my interest. We to travel all over with our Beagle, great wee people they are.
Unfortunately ours would have more interest in a month old half eaten croissant than an illegal.

OP
OP
Allanm

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
Sorry to all the other posters but after seeing that Allanm has a Beagle that captured my interest. We to travel all over with our Beagle, great wee people they are.
Unfortunately ours would have more interest in a month old half eaten croissant than an illegal.
He only sniffed out the chap under the van because there was nothing left to eat in the car park!
They do eat anything ( and everything) though don't they?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back