Just fitted a 1TB SSD drive to my MacBook Pro (1 Viewer)

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
My old hybrid drive started giving me problems last week so decided to change it. I tried a 2TB hybrid drive but that arrived DOA so thought I would bite the bullet and buy an SSD. I decided to go for a Samsung Evo 850 1TB SSD.
It came this morning and I put a cloned copy of my system on it. All done and working in a couple of hours or so using Carbon Copy Cloner.
And boy, is it fast!
My 5 year old MacBook feels like new again. After shutting down, startup time is down from about 40 seconds to around 16. Not sure how long it takes to wake from sleep ( I almost never shut it down fully) but I guess it will be almost instant.
Well worth the outlay. Everything just works so much quicker. Lightroom 6 used to take about 12 seconds or so to start, now its 6. All my new camera raw files are about 30mb, so working on them use to take a good few seconds for changes to be applied sometimes, now its near instantaneous. Processing a hundred or so new files is so much quicker.
With getting older and less time in the future to enjoy it, every second saved counts!

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Would you be able to upgrade my Sinclair ZX Spectrum?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Allanm

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
Would you be able to upgrade my Sinclair ZX Spectrum?
No problem, you need this .....

IMG_5468.JPG

The Dotties

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie
And I'm trying to download a simple file, never mind go faster, just go would do me!:D

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
being an absolute dinosaur when it comes to computers i had no idea what an SSD was until my semi tame professor bought a new Mac about 3 years ago. The thing arrived at what I would consider paying for a good car, he then proceeded to unscrew the back, take out the works and fit an SSD. God only knows what the SSD cost combined with the new Mac. One year later he trundles off to Germany and the company he was working for give him a new Mac. he then gave me the "old" one which is still sitting under my office desk awaiting my old Toshiba to conk out. By the time this old lappy gives up the Mac will be obsolete.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I fitted a similar SSD to my PC - best upgrade I've ever done.

But I did a fresh install, not cloned, this was Windows after all. An OS which benefits from being killed and resurrected every now and again. :)

OP
OP
Allanm

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
Good thing about Macs is that you can clone a drive or swap drives between computers and they work without any messing about ( assuming the computer will run the OS version you are putting on it)

OP
OP
Allanm

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
......he then gave me the "old" one which is still sitting under my office desk awaiting my old Toshiba to conk out. By the time this old lappy gives up the Mac will be obsolete.
I still have an early 2008 MacBook Pro running the latest OSX Sierra. Still works fine, but getting a little slow now as most programmes need more memory than I can fit in it. It's great for anything but photo editing and HD video

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back