Just finished an installation (1 Viewer)

Jan 11, 2018
Malvern Link, Malvern, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 85
Exp
Since 2018
I thought I would post my experience
Follows on from this comment

I bought a 200w mono panel , which is big for my roof.
I bought 'traditional' corner brackets but added 2 sets of in between brackets due to the panels size.
The panel is about 1.3 x 1.1m and can produce , so it says . 11A maximum.
I wired it in the way I was inquiring about in this thread:, ie with the CBE system , using the -B2. +B2 and +B1 posts on the 12v distribution unit (a CBE DS-304TR)

Used Sikaflex 252i as the adhesive.
used 6mm sq cable.
Used 30A inline fuses.
used a two battery 20A PWM controller.

All when well and appears to be working fine.
I tested it by starting the engine and connecting the EHU, all seems to be OK.

The plate you can see in the picture before mounting the panel is covered up by the panel and does not touch it at all.

The hardest part was working out a plan to get the panel up there (weighs in at 15Kg) and how to apply the adhesive and get it into place.
In the end I whent for getting the panel up dry, inverting it, and then applying the adhesive once up there.
I then placed it perpendicular to the roof and walked around it and guided it down into position.
The wiring was no mean feat either.
before.jpg
before.jpg

Before

after.jpg

After
conduit box.jpg

Conduit box
conduit box.jpg

vehicle.jpg

contoller.jpg

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Looks nice and neat a good job done. You just need to fasten the cables under the panel edge or use some stick on conduit to run them in, save them flapping about when your driving.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Jake Royd
Jan 11, 2018
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 85
Exp
Since 2018
Looks nice and neat a good job done. You just need to fasten the cables under the panel edge or use some stick on conduit to run them in, save them flapping about when your driving.
Yes, you are right.
Some finishing off to be done.
I might stick them to the underside of the frame.
I decided to site the cable gland box sideways to reduce the quite noticeable fight in the cables , ie. to give them the best stress free run. I should have, I know sited the cable exits downwind , pointing backwards but it did not work without having the cables in a big circular arc.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Nice panel shame about the controller. :) I know it's more money but a Votronic MPPT controller would be better than the PWM type you have and they can charge both sets of batteries like the one you have. I have a Victron controller but for dual outputs Votronic are probably better.

I'm not criticising what you've done but a few extra pounds for a better controller would have been best.

OP
OP
Jake Royd
Jan 11, 2018
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 85
Exp
Since 2018
Nice panel shame about the controller. :) I know it's more money but a Votronic MPPT controller would be better than the PWM type you have and they can charge both sets of batteries like the one you have. I have a Victron controller but for dual outputs Votronic are probably better.

I'm not criticising what you've done but a few extra pounds for a better controller would have been best.

You are right #DBK but so far the cheap controller looks like it's doing it's job. 200w is enough to not require too much optimizing by using an MPPT controller. hopefully

OP
OP
Jake Royd
Jan 11, 2018
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 85
Exp
Since 2018
I thought I might give an indication of costs:-

Panel £140 in January sale
Brackets 8 off & cable gland £35
Adhesive £32
Cable £24
Fuse holders £5
Controller £35 SH from the Forum

Apr 25, 2020
Funster No
MH
Fiat Rapido 7096f
Exp
Since 2010
Good installation,
Quick question.
Did you use pre-wired cable to your cbe unit or did you run all new cables to batteries?

thanks

OP
OP
Jake Royd
Jan 11, 2018
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 85
Exp
Since 2018
Good installation,
Quick question.
Did you use pre-wired cable to your cbe unit or did you run all new cables to batteries?

thanks
I used the terminals in the CBE distribution box -B2, +B1 and +B2
These in my motorhome , are under the foot of the fixed bed.
Using a multimeter I could check which +B was the cab battery and which the leisure battery.
I made up 6mm2 tails with looped ends and connected these to those terminals , quite a careful job due to all the cables in the area.
The solar output , downstream of the controller was then connected to these tails, via an inline fuse on each positive.
the controller needs an earth for both the cab and hab batteries. I used the tail with the -B2 (earth) on it and commoned both earths together.

My reasoning was that this avoided the need to run a separate cable to each battery.
When the engine is running the rise in voltage on both +B1 and +B2 means that the solar controller 'sees' fully charged batteries and does not pass any current.

I assumed (fortunately correctly) that the resistance in the opposite direction (diodes?) meant that current from the alternator does not pass through the controller to the panel.

Anyway, it all seems to work and I could get the cables from the panel (6mm2 and quite thick) also down and into the area under the foot of the bed easily.

Attachments

• wiring diag.jpg
    wiring diag.jpg
    265.4 KB · Views: 81
OP
OP
Jake Royd
Jan 11, 2018
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 85
Exp
Since 2018

I might do this later , I know there is a Votronic MPPT controller which looks very similar in case shape and terminal layout to the PWM one I used. (y)

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
From the look of the roof before the panel was fitted can I not see slightly whiter areas where a previous panel's corner fittings might have been fitted, perhaps by a previous owner? I originally thought that the plate was from a Satellite dish but who knows? Just an observation and the new panel looks great!

OP
OP
Jake Royd
Jan 11, 2018
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 85
Exp
Since 2018
From the look of the roof before the panel was fitted can I not see slightly whiter areas where a previous panel's corner fittings might have been fitted, perhaps by a previous owner? I originally thought that the plate was from a Satellite dish but who knows? Just an observation and the new panel looks great!

The whiter areas were done by me to prepare for the fitting of this panel, there wasn't one before :)
The plate probably was from a satellite dish. This is the first motorhome we bought and I must admit when we bought it I never looked on the roof so only discovered it later.
The new panel covers it up nicely , and remains well clear of the upstanding nuts and bolts (y)

Mar 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
AutoCruise Stardream
Exp
Newbie April 2019
Looks good.

We have exactly the same plate on our roof. Assumed from an old sat setup.

Gonna cover it with our new panel like yours did, ideally would like to get rid as would save a few kg but doubt it will want to come off without a fight.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back