chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Don't know where we are going to stop tonight, heading to south coast, couple of lay-bys on park4night, see how it goes.

Dec 31, 2017
South East
Funster No
MH
Burstner T690G
Exp
Caravanner 40 years. Motorhome 8
We
Was at Canterbury park and ride the weekend and it was nearly full even the extra bit mainly foreign vans the Italians arrived in packs
we were there yesterday just with car but noticed the actual “aire” was almost full and the overflow Motorhomes parking had at least another 20, these did appear to be foreign. Wondered if it was a rally. Would suggest if aiming for there arrive early. This park and ride gets really busy in summer school holidays anyway.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Just! Depending on exchange rate assumed.

Ian
Well according to today's rate on Google, it was €1.11 so €1.399 = £1.26. Of course sterling can rise and fall as we know but that's today's exchange rate. Variables include pre payment cards at a higher rate or cards like Halifax Clarity but £/€ today
Screenshot_20190715-202210.png

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Well according to today's rate on Google, it was €1.11 so €1.399 = £1.26. Of course sterling can rise and fall as we know but that's today's exchange rate. Variables include pre payment cards at a higher rate or cards like Halifax Clarity but £/€ today
View attachment 318419

As I said; just!

Ian

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
As I said; just!

Ian
Yes but over the last 12 months or so, diesel has increased quite a lot and I certainly can't see it going down in either country but around June 2018 when we were in France, it was €1.09 and it was quite a bit cheaper than the UK and by that increase, I can only see it getting worse.
Just is just but why now go to France and except for wine, EVERYTHING is more expensive. Overall here this year it cost me no more for camping (using Brit Stops/car parks (authorised) and camp sites than it did in France using Aires. Fuel similarly priced, food more expensive x eating out very expensive (mind you so was cream teas), beer at bars more expensive and we had an exceptionally good time touring the South West and returning later in the year.
I will never knock France as we've had fantastic holidays there but now it's getting more expensive then I'll happily tour this beautiful island.
Just is just this year admittedly but let's see the difference next year and the year after. Plus, no train fare, no extra money for my dog travelling in the Moho and no vet's fees prior to the return to the UK.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Having very recently (7/7) returned from 5 weeks in France and Germany I can only agree with EX51SSS. I loved my trip but did think France was more expensive than the uk, especially food. Germany was marginally better than France price wise imho.
I will however return as I thoroughly enjoy the experience, and the driving is easier!!

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
We've joined the C&CC so we can use the cheap temporary holiday sites in the UK.
The diesel price increases in France effect everything, it's all transported by road.

Instead of going twice a year to Spain we'll just go once. Having said that, when we've been drenched on this sodden island we'll probably say never again ?

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
France might be more expensive than the UK but it has many advantages.

Yesterday and today we have driven from Suffolk to Gloucestershire and it was traffic, traffic, and more traffic. Plus potholed, winding roads in many places.
For the driving experience give me France anytime. Don’t care if it costs a couple of bob more.

Richard

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Personally if I was to stop in the UK all the time for my holidays I would sell the motorhome and buy a caravan its just to restrictive touring the UK in a motorhome.
I dunno, I've just spent a month in the South West and used Brit Stops and car parks in a variety of towns and usually free overnight and daytime varied between £2.00 and £5.90. Couldn't do that with a caravan.

Bobby dazzler

Free Member
Jan 8, 2011
Debyshire
Funster No
MH
hymer c640 c class
Exp
since 2009
Is it legal to camp over night in car parks in the southwest? And would there be plenty of space during the school holidays this interests me I've never booked anywhere in France even during the school holidays. I just don't think you could do that in the UK

Dec 31, 2017
South East
Funster No
MH
Burstner T690G
Exp
Caravanner 40 years. Motorhome 8
We've joined the C&CC so we can use the cheap temporary holiday sites in the UK.
The diesel price increases in France effect everything, it's all transported by road.

Instead of going twice a year to Spain we'll just go once. Having said that, when we've been drenched on this sodden island we'll probably say never again ?
We stayed in uk this year until the B word sorted itself out??? big mistake. Too complicated, roads, traffic, having to book to make sure you can get into a site over a weekend etc etc. Back to France or Spain or Croatia, however the mood takes us, in September and will get back to our two trips next year. Haven’t tried Temporary sites so be interested to hear what you think.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Is it legal to camp over night in car parks in the southwest? And would there be plenty of space during the school holidays this interests me I've never booked anywhere in France even during the school holidays. I just don't think you could do that in the UK

If it don't say you can't, then you can. We're often away for weeks at a time, all over the country and never stay on sites. Just keep your eyes open and be flexible. Park4Night phone app can also be a saviour.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Agree with above. We don’t find France expensive, just not as cheap as it was. Certainly cheaper than the uk.
France might be more expensive than the UK but it has many advantages.

Yesterday and today we have driven from Suffolk to Gloucestershire and it was traffic, traffic, and more traffic. Plus potholed, winding roads in many places.
For the driving experience give me France anytime. Don’t care if it costs a couple of bob more.

Richard
We stayed in uk this year until the B word sorted itself out??? big mistake. Too complicated, roads, traffic, having to book to make sure you can get into a site over a weekend etc etc. Back to France or Spain or Croatia, however the mood takes us, in September and will get back to our two trips next year. Haven’t tried Temporary sites so be interested to hear what you think.

?????

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
At Lyme Regis and Ilfracombe there are dedicated motorhome spaces.. At Glastonbury, the tourist information sent us to the St John's Square car park. Other places we visited, we either stayed at camp sites or Brit Stops..

Bobby dazzler

Free Member
Jan 8, 2011
Debyshire
Funster No
MH
hymer c640 c class
Exp
since 2009
so brit stops is like the aires system in france with service points ect do you have a link to a list of the brit stops sounds intreasting. thanks in advance

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
so brit stops is like the aires system in france with service points ect do you have a link to a list of the brit stops sounds intreasting. thanks in advance
No. Brit Stops is like France Passion. It's a network of pubs, farms, ice cream parlours, vineyards etc that allow overnight parking. Unlike France Passion, the vast majority don't expect you to buy anything in agreement with Brit Stops but inevitably we either have a few drinks or a meal but not pressurised to. Some may, most don't, supply electricity at a charge. We stayed at one in Cromer and paid £5.00 for the ehu but that also entitled us to use the fitness centre, showers, toilets etc. It was our choice whether to have ehu or not. Stayed at one in the South West (can't remember the place), had ehu and they allowed us to use the end apartment for shower and toilet whenever we wanted. Yes, had a couple of drinks there too. Very genial landlords.
Think if you Google Brit Stops, you'll find them. It costs about £28 I think but you can use park4night for some on an app or moonfruit but I find that awkward.

Bobby dazzler

Free Member
Jan 8, 2011
Debyshire
Funster No
MH
hymer c640 c class
Exp
since 2009
well I aint gone cancel mine might extend it though :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back