Just decided on this major life change! (1 Viewer)

Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Hi everybody
We are Jackie (61) children's entertainer, home educator, currently childminder and Martin 67 retired molecular biologist for Smithkline Beecham.
Last child of four leaving home in the summer so we have on a whim - decided to dive in and live the motor home lifestyle dream....
We are going to sell the big house and buy a small flat for our student daughter where we would retain a room for a base. Yesterday we went up in the loft and threw away the artificial Xmas tree which was a start to our decluttering....
This all came about through my skiing obsession and my suggestion to rent a ski pad for the whole season each winter in my retirement. On a hop and skip we extended that to the idea of travelling in a van for the rest of the time.
We are at the very beginning of our plans having only decided a week ago to do this. And only 48 hours ago to go for it this year not next. We've already worn out the wii button watching you tube clips !
Still figuring out basic things like van size - we know we want a loo, shower, and a fixed double bed (above driver's cab?) plus pull out couch for visitors and awning option, further than that open to ideas. We like the idea of being as small and flexible as possible - not a luxurious cruising beast but still comfortable enough and with four seat belts.
Just decided to go to the Peterborough show to meet people and look at vans.
Excited is not the word any more! We are like little children on Xmas eve and are annoying our kids by coming out with random musings like I 'I like the idea of not eating meat in the van' (Ali Kingston's book) or 'shall we carry skis or rent them?' Or 'who can have the cat and the chickens?'
We bought a paper map of Europe but the dog kept walking on it on the floor so all we have vaguely decided is France and Italy this year, Greece next and Spain and Portugal the following......
We are delighted to hear about the existence of aires - what a fab idea!
We were going to take our dog for company and security but our daughter can't bear to lose us all at the same time so may keep him.
I have so many questions but maybe the dog one first - if you did - are you glad you took one? Problems? Secondly how do you dry your clothes?
Maybe I should start new threads with those questions.
I forgot to say Martin was diagnosed with Parkinson's two years ago which is partly driving our haste to get going to make the best of his mobility . He already can't ski or drive any more but we are hoping he can still ride a bike as we want to take two with us. We were former unicyclists and jugglers (which he believes paved off the condition for many years)
We live in Sheringham North norfolk.
Sorry for long rambling intro.
This seems like a fab group and I have just subscribed and have no doubt this will become our life line. Thank god for the internet :)
- looking forward to chatting with you guys x

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
You sound like you have the enthusiasm to make it work - good on ya! We have been FT over 3 years and there are many on here who have done and are currently doing similar things !
Good luck - and ask away!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
I would say get a cheaper van to start with, so you can find out what is more important to you in a van. And try not too buy too many toys to start with.
Also worth visiting as many dealers as you can to get an idea of layout.
Good luck and welcome :)

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Wish you all the best whatever you decide to do. Go for it you only live once. (y)

lesleyjean

Free Member
Jun 21, 2008
Funster No
MH
A class
I love your enthusiasm and instant decision making.
You know what you want and are determined to make it happen.
Now is the right time for you.
I wish you all the luck in the world and I know you won't regret it.
Buying a flat is a great idea as when you both need a break then you can go home for a while. After a week or so you will be ready to start all over again.

Good luck and welcome to FUN.

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
Wishing you both the very best of luck with your plans. You have made a good start by joining in the discussions here!

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Good morning Jackie n Martin and welcome to Fun(y)

Go for it, and I would say that Van layout is probably the most important consideration, it may be worth hiring a couple for a weekend or two to see how you get on with them, (We did) it might also be worth coming to one of the Funster Rallies and having a look though our vans to see what you think;)

And yes post loads of questions on the Forum and you will always get an answer, some of them might be way out there though as we have our fare share of mad bu**ers on here:confused::D

Anyway I do hope your dream comes true and please keep us posted, it may even be worth starting a Blog(y)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Sounds like you should go for a fully winterized MH, even if you aren't going to go skiing you might like the idea of visiting the mountains in winter, otherwise it will be joining the hordes in Spain every winter!
You might want to consider renting your house out rather than selling it, this is what some folk do and your hubby's condition is also a factor to be taken into account - depressing I know buy my father had Parkinsons and it stopped him getting about quite quickly. However, it strikes people differently so get out and get travelling while you can. :)

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Thank you for your kind replies.
Lesleyjean - making instant decisions seems to be the style of my life and no I have never regretted it,
Yes we are using that flat out daughter will be using as a base to sell when we finish travelling to move to where hopefully our (by then) grandchildren will be living.
We will be renting a ski place every winter - martin won't ski but doesn't mind if I do plus the family will join us for ski holidays.
Yes we have signed up for the Peterborough rally.
Already am convinced to rent for a few weekends first now having read these posts. Thank you

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
It's good to have a plan. Good luck. Enjoy every moment.

Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
Hi and welcome to FUN the best forum on the net for all and any motorhome question. When you book in for Peterborough, book to join our section then you can meet many of us as well as see loads of vans, etc. (y)

Yorkshirefreckles

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2015
Leeds
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F
Exp
Forever
Hello to you both and welcome. If you have your own skis, you can get vans with ski lockers on the outside for storage. If you're going to Peterborough you'll be spoilt for choice - make sure you look at everything, including your neighbours on the rally field. I'm sure nobody will mind!

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Personally I would go for a fixed French bed layout or a fixed over garage....you don't want to be making beds up or climbing over things... If your intention is to live in it then size will matter the bigger you can cope with the better imo...have a look at a hobby 750...it may meet your requirements...again of you can cope with the size

Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Been around the block a few times😉
Welcome & good luck with your future plans :)

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Welcome! Blimey you are very decisive. :)

A few tips: get the right German van and you can happily and comfortably stay in ski resorts. You can buy adult stabilisers for bikes, no joke, just look on google. Consider centre drive e bikes, they cost a good bit more but excellent for hill climbing...

Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012
:welc: From another Jackie with a retired scientist husband and Daughter living in flat purchased for her, there the similarity ends. Go for it if it's what you want,(y) sometimes wish we were more adventureous.:(

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
A Warm Welcome from Wales.(y)
Jackie, you've thought this through well imo but I have to support what @DevonBeekeeper says in #13.
Nothing like enthusiasm, Good luck to you both!
PS You've joined the best forum for detailed answers from people who know what they are talking about to any question you may have.

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Welcome to Fun

Great first post Jackie and Martin. I can understand why you are so excited. As others have said I would make sure you get the right layout if fulltiming. You mention an overcab bed, this is not a bad compromise (better than having to make the bed up every night) but its not so good for those nocturnal trips to the bathroom!

Don't forget to sign up at Fun's sisters site for fulltimers - www.motorhome365.com.

I also have Ali Kingston's book (link), essential reading for prospective fulltimers I would have thought.

You could try reading a few blogs, some of my favourites are:

www.motorhomelifers.co.uk
https://ericandshazza.wordpress.com/
www.ukgreynomads.co.uk
http://www.magbaztravels.com/
http://adventuresofbigbird.co.uk/

Vicarious Books have loads of books you might find useful.

Good luck

Paul

Deleted User
Hello, wow, what an adventure, brilliant, look forward to hearing all about it :)

Lin & Nige

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Thanks for the warm welcome .
Paul I will certainly read those blogs as I was wondering where to start....
Yes we had sensed a German van might be a good idea.
We definitely want a fixed double bed but I assumed over the drivers cab was the best idea space wise? Otherwise it makes for a very large size which we didn't really want for flexibility and parking etc. Higher fuel etc?
I will look at the Hobby 750 haganap thanks x

Scotties

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2006
A very warm welcome to fun Jackie and Martin from fellow Funsters from Norfolk.
It would be a much better idea to get a fixed bed, either over the garage or French Island bed. Not easy getting out of an overcab bed unless you are really fit.
Sign up for the Thetford Bash. you will be given a very warm welcome from Funsters from all parts of the country ( even Wales). Some are already full timing and can offer you lots of tips.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Hi and welcome.

I would second suggestions for a fixed bed if you are full timing. Consider a drop down if required for guests.

I wouldn't buy a new van - at least until you have decided exactly what you need and like; second hand vans may offer better value, especially if this is your first time motor homing. Get a van that can cope with severer winter conditions (good heating, insulation, protected water tanks etc) because even if you do not use your van to tour ski fields in the winter, it will be easier to deal with the cold conditions if you are using it as your main vehicle.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
A very warm welcome to fun a lot of good advice already, think the essential one for you is that it needs to be winterised, also find out about payloads and understand it, use this forum for specific questions the answers are out there, good luck and enjoy :welc:

Deleted User
Forgot to say we travel with our 3 dogs and without a doubt, they restrict what you can do, and where you can go. It's very easy to take them away on the pet passport scheme if you need.
But if your dog is as happy to be with your daughter as yourselves, I would recommend a share arrangement, some trips take along others let daughter look after. It depends how adaptable your dog is. Our eldest Biskit stayed with my parents last year, whilst we travelled around Portugal and Spain, but is coming on our trip starting next week for 12 weeks. She loves staying with my parents, but I'm sure she will equally love some winter sun.

Lin

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back