just collected our motor home yesterday I’m now very depressed because (1 Viewer)

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
Gromett are you edible then?

and pray tell are you a tasty morsel :Blush:

sorry just couldnt resist :thumb:

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Hi John and Cheryl!

Really sorry to hear about this, we agree with a few of the replies given, namely EthnGeoff and Ralph-n-Bev's. There is probably a bit of the green-eyed monster as well.

His "one meter too long" conservatory might help though, we were thinking you could pop over and try to approach it with the "we turned a blind-eye to your conservatory", so why can't he be reasonable about your motorhome? As you've said you don't need to put a light on in your kitchen, so this might very well be sour grapes.:Angry:

After all, it would be more of a problem to him surely to be asked to take down his "oversized" conservatory. You could mention to him that the conservatory is actually blocking out sunlight from your garden and you have kept quiet about that:Cool: maybe this could be a bargaining point and solve it amicably.

Perhaps drop it into the conversation that you could have gone to the Council (Planning Dept) about the conservatory being larger than it should be, however, you kept quiet about that.

First and foremost, your first port of call is to check your deeds and see whether it is permissable to keep the vehicle where it is. If there is no covenant to say that you can't park the motorhome where it is, then really your neighbour doesn't have a leg to stand on.

After you've established your position (and hopefully you will be ok), we would then mention to him about his conservatory that you've kept quiet about. Some years back we had a shared driveway, where our kitchen window at the side of the house looked across the shared driveway to the neighbour's kitchen window. So perhaps if this is a similar situation where you are, maybe your neighbour has just decided that he doesn't want to have to look at your motorhome from his kitchen window.
Good luck with this, neighbours can be a real pain in the butt, we really hope you can work something out.:thumb:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Just park it on the road outside his house nothing he can do. As for not being able to keep it at home in our last house the builder had stated no caravans allowed on drives this last for 10 years but ours was a motorhome so didnt matter. It also stated no works vans allowed on driveways so if this did exsist at yours you could point this out to him that if you have to remove van you will want all builders covenants met as im sure he will be breaking some also.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

harryoxford2

Free Member
Sep 14, 2010
Bishops Stortford Herts
Funster No
MH
B
Exp
2010 and camper all my life
Planning Laws, rights of light, etc etc all free for the public to gaze down the District Council.

Covenants, are in your docs of the house, free to view if you dont have a copy.

The key here is he works for the council, and so a natural tendancy to be afraid he will pull strings...not so anymore as the Council have to be transparent, in fact he could get himself into a heap of bother if he tries the string pulling. In my experience those people havent a clue about planning laws rights to light etc....but he may just be right in the end.
The paper trail will point the way however and with the relevant clauses deeds and docs produced to him proving you are doing nothing wrong will perhaps pacify the situation. If you are right any action he takes after that is just unfriendly.

Also tour your neighbourhood and see how many other m/homes are parked on drives.

As far as solicitors go..you dont need one until and if it goes to court, and even then you can do it yourself if confident.

Google earth and capture pictures of your property and the neighbour and the suns arch will tell you if light is affecting his castle.But if there are no regs governing the loss of light then you win.

If all else fails, a wet fish duel at 50 paces as depicted in Python will I am sure bring this whole incident to a resolved finale. (PS please remember to fill your fish with lead shot as this often gives a slight advantage)
(PPS. I favor the Carcharodon carcharias in my duels.)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Hello all
We just collected our motor home yesterday and all the excitement has just been knocked out of me, I’m now very depressed :Sad: because we live in a semidetached and our neighbour has just popped round and said its blocking the light and they have to have the light on in the kitchen and that’s not true because its in front of our kitchen window and we don’t need the light on.
He works for the council and said we will need to move it :cry:but we have nowhere else to keep it and we have said on our insurance we will keep it there.
We try hard to get on with our neighbours when they had a conservatory built to replace the old one it extended out a meter longer than the old one and as it faces south stops our sunlight in our garden but for the sake of good relations we said nothing
I am at a total loss now to know what to do:cry:

I think you have pretty much found your 'argument' even if he does pursue the 'right to light' claim - you park the van on YOUR drive and it does not stop the light into YOUR kitchen which is it parked RIGHT NEXT TO ... so if you aren't having any problems, then how can he ...?

He is simply trying it on because he thinks he can dictate to you what you can/can't do and because he works for the council.

From the way you word your posting and your experience of him putting up a larger consevatory (which I assume he didn't even bother to tell you about) he comes across as one of those people who thinks he rules the street - I've lived next to these sorts of people before and the only way to deal with them is to ignore them as they really aren't worth wasting your time on. Now that he has mentioned it and if you don't do exactly as he has told you, you will always be in his bad books anyway I'm afraid. I suspect in the past you/others have let him, unintentionally, have the upper hand, and he's got used to 'being in charge' - stand your ground, literally! Don't go out of your way to antagonise him or anything like that though, if he gets a bit 'aloof' or disgruntled, just let him get on with it ... he's the one with the problem, not you. Anyone else would've been keen to see your new 'toy' and wish you lots of enjoyment from it ... sounds like they are selfish to me and/or jealous.

My advice would be to ignore him and don't worry about it. The onus is on him to show that you are doing something wrong, not for you to prove you aren't. If he brings it up again, tell him that he needs to let you have the exact details (in writing/officially) of why you can't park it there, I suspect he can't prove it, and if by some chance he does, at least he has then had to do the work to find out, not you.

slverdreamers

Free Member
Nov 22, 2009
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
18yrs
Hi,
If you think of putting motorhome into storage just google motorhome storage, we found one just three miles up the road, and because it was secure we got a reduction on our insurance. It only cost £30.00 per month which we thought was great. We have our motorhome at home now, but our neighbours dont talk to us. Their problem not ours.

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
A friend of ours had the same problem He told his neighbour that as it was taxed and insured he was entitled to park it on his drive or on the road outside his house He now parks on the drive.:thumb::Eeek:
sounds good in principle BUT then it is in the open easy target for criminal damage
have you priced up an aluminum door or plastic trim on these motorhomes damaged in seconds and cost a fortune to repair
my advice put it in safe secure storage it is not worth the sleepless nights as time goes on it will become more a problem hope you do not go through what we went through do not rely on police to help they can not be bothered with domestic problems

Ps i got storage for the motor home + toad for £175 a year was about time i had some luck

Lindylooj

Free Member
Jun 24, 2011
Weymouth, Dorset
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Newbie from Oct 2011
Such a shame your neighbours have spoilt your excitement. we have had trouble with neighbours and no longer speak but hey ho. Hope you get it sorted soon. Our bessie blocks our lounge window but we are not in darkness, am sure they can still see.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Hi John & Cheryl

Any developments???

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
John & Cheryl,
Your motorhome is a taxed, insured road vehicle unlike a caravan. Speak to your insurers and ask them if moving to the road in front of your house,in sight, would affect your policy. If not [HI]you can vary it between your drive and the road.[/HI]

Philk

Why should they have to?
To satisfy a pillock just because he works for the council?
Think not.
Parking on the road will adversely affect any insurance premium.

Your land, within reason use it as you will.

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
you could always get a fellow funster with an RV to visit you for a couple of days.
then they would see what its really like to be in the dark.

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
Yours is a motorised vehicle, not a carvan, as long as it is road legal, it is surprising where you can legally park it. As jar as i am aware, nobody has a "right to light " anymore, that went out of the window when planning applications started allowing 40 houses to the acre. i suggest you show some restraint and brinksmanship...and only hit him the once!::bigsmile:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
So, are we and RVOC having a meet at your house or what, you two? LOL

:ROFLMAO:

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Why not apply to be a Funster CL :ROFLMAO:then you can have a few mates round and all park on the drive:ROFLMAO:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Yours is a motorised vehicle, not a carvan, as long as it is road legal, it is surprising where you can legally park it.

Check your V5 ..

last time I checked it was described as a 'motor caravan' and under the 1960 Caravan act they (motorhomes) come under the same regulations as caravans.

CURRENT LEGAL DEFINITION OF A CARAVAN
Section 29 (1) of the Caravan Sites and Control of Development Act 1960 (“The 1960
Act”) a caravan is defined as
“… any structure designed or adapted for human habitation which is capable of
being moved from one place to another (whether by being towed, or by being
transported on a motor vehicle or trailer) and [HI]any motor vehicle so designed or
adapted[/HI]

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp
Legal issues to one side as previous posters have covered most if not all possibilities.

For me the first question would be do I want to fall out with the neighbours over this, how nasty could it get?

If you don't mind upsetting them and there will be no backlash I don't see the point of upsetting them further by getting strident or bullish about it. I would play the issue down as much as possible. Try to see it from their point of view as much as is reasonable and try to keep it friendly.

If they get stroppy and you are entitled and legal to park there (which is likely) then a firm but polite response is usually best to prevent the situation getting inflamed further.

Basically a firm, fair, polite and patient response at all times will usually be more effective and cheaper than escalating things with legal, verbal or physical threats/responses.

Good luck with the situation and don't let the buggers get you down :thumb:

This neighbour seems the type who will thrive on confrontation so my advice is to ignore him completely. When he realizes there's nowt he can do & whilst he won't speak to you he'll get fed up.

Remember an argument needs two to keep it going

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back