just collected our motor home yesterday I’m now very depressed because (1 Viewer)

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Legal issues to one side as previous posters have covered most if not all possibilities.

For me the first question would be do I want to fall out with the neighbours over this, how nasty could it get?

If you don't mind upsetting them and there will be no backlash I don't see the point of upsetting them further by getting strident or bullish about it. I would play the issue down as much as possible. Try to see it from their point of view as much as is reasonable and try to keep it friendly.

If they get stroppy and you are entitled and legal to park there (which is likely) then a firm but polite response is usually best to prevent the situation getting inflamed further.

Basically a firm, fair, polite and patient response at all times will usually be more effective and cheaper than escalating things with legal, verbal or physical threats/responses.

Good luck with the situation and don't let the buggers get you down :thumb:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Treacle, for the past 6 years it is absolutely spot on..
The time of a 'right to light' has now gone.
The changes came about due to the massive need for housing, and it being crammed together being something that just had to be accepted

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
Sounds like a hint of jealousy to me. If he does work for the council, and thinks he has powers to make you move it, let him do it the council way. Letters, orders, then eviction notice. Not just, "you can't park that there, you will have to move it"!
Ask him to tell someone that gives a $hit!

Craig

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Treacle, for the past 6 years it is absolutely spot on..
The time of a 'right to light' has now gone.
The changes came about due to the massive need for housing, and it being crammed together being something that just had to be accepted

A right to light can still be enforced in court though. Nothing to do with planning laws. It is set in Common Law or case law that preserves these rights of enforcement. The OP concerned about the council getting involved though can relax:thumb:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Ok.. This has, within the last 6 to 8 weeks, been up before the local bench..

A developer was stopped in his tracks as a solicitor sort an order to stop building when he discovered the proposed development would greatly reduce the light entering his kitchen window ( cannot remember the figures but it was zero direct sunlight )

Case dismissed. 2006 act of parliament changed the law.

Planning laws are usually based on court law in the first instance Treacle :Smile:

Mind you, for all I know there may be local laws which supersede the national law 'case law', though that is certainly not the case in this area :Smile:

I am nothing more than a layman after all.. Just quoting the guidelines the bench worked by

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
Bugger Hope my neibour dosn't get upset when my new RV comes, the old one is 35' new one 40' :whatthe: :ROFLMAO: might even have them both here till the old one sells :Doh:

All the best Rick

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
If it was me I would not have a confrontation, I would merely say, this is my house, my drive and I am entitled to park whatever I like on my own property.

Sorry and all that but its my hobby and relaxation.

Peter

scran

Free Member
Jan 22, 2008
washington
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
parking

If it was me I would not have a confrontation, I would merely say, this is my house, my drive and I am entitled to park whatever I like on my own property.

Peter

we have a large trailer parked at the end if our drive a couple of the neighbours from the new estate have commented about it but not to us we have friends who live on the new estate who told us i was tempted to paint it bright colours some people have to moan they have nothing better to do a motorhome is not the same as a caravan i don t think your neighbours can do anything about it they prob jealous good luck

billy

Free Member
Jan 10, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
since 2009
Funny folk neighbours before we got our motorhome we got on great with our neighbour across the road he would always stop to talk or give a helping hand when i was doing any jobs in the garden.
But when i arrived home with our motorhome i noticed a change in his attitude and now he very rarely speaks.
That was over two tears ago.

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004

Peter
and that is what i would say:thumb:
and there is no right to light,common or any other law:RollEyes:
been there done that:Doh:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Ok.. This has, within the last 6 to 8 weeks, been up before the local bench..

A developer was stopped in his tracks as a solicitor sort an order to stop building when he discovered the proposed development would greatly reduce the light entering his kitchen window ( cannot remember the figures but it was zero direct sunlight )

Case dismissed. 2006 act of parliament changed the law.

Planning laws are usually based on court law in the first instance Treacle :Smile:

Mind you, for all I know there may be local laws which supersede the national law 'case law', though that is certainly not the case in this area :Smile:

I am nothing more than a layman after all.. Just quoting the guidelines the bench worked by

Jaws - Planning laws are statutory and not based on case law. it's the case law that develops the exceptions or ways round the statutory rules.

Rights to light still exist especially if that right has been enjoyed for 20 years plus.

They won't apply in terms of the OP's post though and probs didn't apply in the case you quote cos the chaps house was a recent build

scek

Free Member
Jan 12, 2011
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Couple of years or so.
The deeds to our house actually says no caravans or trade vehicles can be parked in the drive. Our estate is full of trade vans up peoples drives and a couple of caravans.
But before I came home with our motorhome I made sure that I had told all of our close by neighbours that we had bought a motorhome and that it would be parked in the drive. So far no complaints and its 7 months on.
I was talking to a guy on a campsite a few months back who had the same problem with parking on his driveway and the next door neighbour complaining. He fixed it by parking the motorhome outside his house, the neighbour came round and complained again. He told him it was taxed and insured and legal to park on the road. He gave the neighbour the option of it being on his drive or on the road. Its now on his drive and they haven't heard a dickie bird since.
Be nice to him. Let him be the angry git. Let him do all the running around. You just sit tight, read your deeds and wait for him to make the first move - if ever he does.

blamehofman

Free Member
Oct 31, 2010
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
2 years
Tell him to think of the advantages , you'll empty your cassette on his garden and fertilise his plants for free .

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
Hello all
We just collected our motor home yesterday and all the excitement has just been knocked out of me, I’m now very depressed :Sad: because we live in a semidetached and our neighbour has just popped round and said its blocking the light and they have to have the light on in the kitchen and that’s not true because its in front of our kitchen window and we don’t need the light on.
He works for the council and said we will need to move it :cry:but we have nowhere else to keep it and we have said on our insurance we will keep it there.
We try hard to get on with our neighbours when they had a conservatory built to replace the old one it extended out a meter longer than the old one and as it faces south stops our sunlight in our garden but for the sake of good relations we said nothing
I am at a total loss now to know what to do:cry:
TYPICAL they are just jealous you have a motorhome they dont
just leave it where it is its on your land i had to move mine in to storage and it buggs me every day ( mine got criminal damage to it but could not proove who did it hence the storage):cry:
Bloody people think they have the right to dictate to you :Angry:

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
If as I see the picture you reverse onto your drive and it is the bulk of the rear that is supposedly stopping the light...

Why not drive in that way the bonnet is not so high as the rear and should be less of a problem..

I believe the right to light does not stand now...

But I believe the two meter high new fence is still in force..:RollEyes:

Which makes a mockery of some one planting Fir tree`s which can grow to over 50ft.. We had some over 60ft, but had them took out for our own benefit..

But the neighbor complained cos we could see into their kitchen... Tough says I they are on my property and belong to me, I will do what I want with them.,, put some bloody net curtains up..:RollEyes::Doh:
would not work as ours is an A class as big at the front as at the back

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
The council do not have the power to officiate on right to light issues.
It's a non issue because as someone else posted you would be entitled to erect a fence as high as your motorhome.

Obviously you need to pacify your neighbour.

Just tell him it wont be there most weekends:winky:
sorry but your wrong fences can only be 1.58M high Six foot in old money
you can not erect a fence the 11-13 feet the hight of the motorhome
if you do the LPA can take enforcement against the infringement and they will make no mistake I lived on a farm miles from the town i put up a 1.58M high fence from the next doors riding school would jump up on to it so i extended it by another 12 inches within one week i had a letter from Hartlepool borough council planning department giving notice to have it lowered i have battled with them for over a year they are jobsworth but i know i will not win in the end hope to sell the place soon any way:Eeek:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
sorry but your wrong fences can only be 1.58M high Six foot in old money
you can not erect a fence the 11-13 feet the hight of the motorhome
if you do the LPA can take enforcement against the infringement and they will make no mistake I lived on a farm miles from the town i put up a 1.58M high fence from the next doors riding school would jump up on to it so i extended it by another 12 inches within one week i had a letter from Hartlepool borough council planning department giving notice to have it lowered i have battled with them for over a year they are jobsworth but i know i will not win in the end hope to sell the place soon any way:Eeek:

I can see that makes sense. I thought the leylandi rules was 12 feet though?

Still don't think it applies to a temporary structure like a parked MH or van.

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
would not work as ours is an A class as big at the front as at the back

I was commenting on the original posters vehicle, which I believe is a Laika ecovip...

In which case if I am not mistaken is similar to a "B" class, which would allow more light in..

By virtual fact it would be similar and built on a pick-up type chassis.

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
I was commenting on the original posters vehicle, which I believe is a Laika ecovip...

In which case if I am not mistaken is similar to a "B" class, which would allow more light in..

By virtual fact it would be similar and built on a pick-up type chassis.
would not work as ours is an A class as big at the front as at the back still applies ours is an A Class but do not take it too seriously :RollEyes:

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
would not work as ours is an A class as big at the front as at the back still applies ours is an A Class but do not take it too seriously :RollEyes:

Oh... sorry..... I didn`t realise you had problems with your neighbors as well.... :RollEyes:::bigsmile:

geoff1947

Free Member
May 20, 2008
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
10 yrs
A friend of ours had the same problem He told his neighbour that as it was taxed and insured he was entitled to park it on his drive or on the road outside his house He now parks on the drive.:thumb::Eeek:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Mine doesn't fit on the drive.

First motorhome buying lesson-

Measure the drive before you purchase:Doh:

I was only 2 metres out in my mental calculation::bigsmile::Doh::Eeek:

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
Mine doesn't fit on the drive.

First motorhome buying lesson-

Measure the drive before you purchase:Doh:

I was only 2 metres out in my mental calculation::bigsmile::Doh::Eeek:
WOW as much as 2Metres out
would love to see your measurement of a foot :ROFLMAO:

May 6, 2010
Doncaster
Funster No
MH
Exp
April 2010
We took an L shaped area of conifers out on the front of our house to get our RV on, we are the first house in a private road cul-de-sac so I am able to drive on and off no matter what is parked in the road, garden is 45ft across and RV is 33ft long so when its parked in position still gives me 12ft width of drive to get cars in and out to garages, No neighbours have said anything apart from asking questions about it as do the bin men delivery drivers and anyone else that catches me out the front :Smile:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Jeez.. You guys are talking about "The Law" as though it actually matters.

We have no idea the actual situation here? They may have the two end terrace house backing up to each other with only inches between their drives. On the other hand they may have £600K houses with 20 foot between the drives. They may be nodding acquaintances or may pop round to each others houses and pinch cups of sugar whenever they need to.

The law is pretty much an absolute that will cost everyone a shed load and will probably take years to resolve.

Wouldn't it be a better idea for him to pop round and have a cuppa and try and see it from his neighbours point of view and at the same time mention that he is not doing it to be an arse? Keeping it friendly as a first point of call can pay dividends...

If I wasn't an MH'er or a tugger and one of the bigger ones was parked in the garden next to my old house I would have been quietly fuming to myself as it would have prevented me enjoying my garden....

Sorry guys, but why does everyone immediately jump to "The law", "it's my garden", "Nimby" or "tough shit" responses???????

My first plan would be to try and work it out in a friendly and amicable manner.

However if the guy is just a total ar^e then by all means look at the more aggressive options but please lets try and be good neighbours first it may be easier?

I would apologise for being a weak and pathetic morsel but I am sure quite a few of you would find a legal way to punish me for that apology:Eeek:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back