Just Bought Motorhome Yesterday (1 Viewer)

John69

Free Member
May 4, 2015
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Talbot Swift Kon-tiki
Exp
Im a newbie
Hi all,
Just bought our first motorhome yesterday its a Talbot Express Swift Kon-tiki 2.5 TD. I just bought it and was driving it back home and within less than a mile the gearstick went floppy!! How embarrising , ive had this happen to me before.......On another vehicle that is! So after the shock of thinking ive just blown 10.5k I got underneath and had a good look turns out it was just the gear linkage had popped out phew relief anyway drove it home about 80 mile and it was running sluggish and stuttering put some fresh diesel in it and she was ok then. Think it had been standing a while look forward to more adventures in her and meeting likeminded people. All the best John&Linda

OP
OP
J

John69

Free Member
May 4, 2015
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Talbot Swift Kon-tiki
Exp
Im a newbie
Thanks Stef & Di.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Momo

Free Member
Sep 19, 2008
Valencia City, Spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie.
Hi John & Linda and welcome to the Fun!:welc::party:

Just teething problems which you will soon sort!(y)

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi John and Linda, wishing you the best of adventures. Welcome to the Fun (y)

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
Welcome - where's the photo's,,,,, only as we used to have one and loved every minute of her.

Trikeman.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hello Welcome, this is were the Fun starts. :welc:

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Hi & welcome, sounds like you're going to have plenty of adventures:D

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Hi from Devon

animated-gif-emoticons.jpg

OP
OP
J

John69

Free Member
May 4, 2015
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Talbot Swift Kon-tiki
Exp
Im a newbie
wow thanks guys for all your response and welcomes I appreciate it. Just got back from Ashdown forest with the wife and dogs. And it wouldn't start from hot had to wait till it cooled down anyone have any ideas what that could be ? And on the way back it stuttered again when I was giving it some revs so backed off a bit I still think it just needs a good clear out bit like me now and then, but other than that im happy with her, im bonding with my ride.

It was nice pootling down country roads getting waves from other motorhomers cd playin easy listen driving music I felt at peace. I could have kept on going but I came back to base until I figure out the teething problems. Thanks again all for your welcomes and any ideas on said problems would be appreciated....And Mel 69 is the year I was born, 1969 that is :)
All the best, John.

trekkin

Free Member
Sep 12, 2014
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Rv
Exp
5 years but still learning
Sorry cannot help with your questions,

But stick at it through the teething problems, most of have been there, and once you get out the other side life is great...

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Hiya, welcome to the Fun house!

Fuel starvation/evaporation possibly? Also could be blockage in the fuel line/filter.

If it won't go above about 50 then check the turbo charger waste gate valve as they can stick shut and prevent the pressure being released for the turbo which in turn makes the engine limit the speed so as not to cause damage - aka sleepy van syndrome.

Dec 27, 2014
Funster No
Great to have you aboard.
Consider spending a tenner on membership of this forum....
Promise.... be the best tenner you'll spend on motorhoming.
image.jpg

Dec 27, 2014
Funster No
@MinxyGirl ..... won't have an engine light on that one , too old...
but yes the waste gate could be stuck open causing low/no boost.
The 2.5 TD has a boost sensor pipe from the pressure side of the turbo that travels across the rocker cover, down the front and into the injector pump. They can leak pressure and cause a poor fuelling/boost issue. The likelihood also is your fuel filter needs replacing and if it's a Lucas/Cav unit it is prone to the diaphragm in the top unit detoriating and cracking and may require replacement.
That particular engine is pretty bombproof and while sluggish compared to modern units it has no fancy ECU's or gimmicks to go wrong so it's a good reliable workhorse.
Maybe a good service and check over would be a good move and would hopefully resolve any issues you're having.
Enjoy the fun in any case.

Flook

Free Member
Jan 1, 2015
Chelveston, Northants
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 4th January 2015, first registered in January
Hi and welcome from Northamtonshire, I see the fun for you has already started with your heartsick comming adrift, and Mel asking if 69 is your age or what. AHHH I reckon Mel is on her pills again

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back