Just bought a spare wheel/tyre for my Chausson (Mk8 Transit). Should I get a jack as well? (1 Viewer)

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Not Cheap but the purfik solution
A couple of 2ft square carpet tiles for protection top and bottom and you can change wheels on Tarmac Grass Mud and Sand
4 Ton Exhaust Jack
View attachment 138867 View attachment 138868
Link Removed
Used to be plenty about back in the 80's. work a treat. Sure they used to be about 25 quid. They certainly weren't dear.

That's a handy looking bit of kit..
Have you or anyone else looking used one..
I've used high and low pressure air bags in my old job but never seen one run off the exhaust...
Just wondering how long it takes to inflate off the exhaust and any likely problems with modern vehicles and sensors...
I'm thinking exhaust back pressure..
Anyone???
Re the alloy wheels.. never had them but a mate has them on a new car... he couldn't believe what it took to shift them with a sledge... greased and replaced them and a month or two later still had a job and still needed a big hammer..
Andy.

Yes I've used them . work a treat. inflate on exhaust in no time. Back in the late 80's we never even used anything to protect the bags. They didn't cost much either.
We even used to use them for changing 4' square air conditioning outlets 26' in the air off of a single man hoist & using a compressed air line for inflation.:xlaugh::xThumb: Amazing the things that you can use them for. I thought that they had vanished & you couldn't buy them anymore.
I'll have to track one down next time in Uk.

Most breakdown services carry "universal spare wheels" along with adaptors to enable them to fit the majority of modern cars with five-stud wheels, nowadays don't they?

Pete
Never even heard of that one.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
will certainly look at the air bag , but one or two initial thoughts..
they do rely on getting as large a surface area of the bag in contact with the load to provide the lift, and i doubt many modern mh with plastic side skirts would support the lift as shown in a lot of pictures.. so the pictures of them working on vehicles with metal or structural sills may not be applicable on a mh..
sticking them under the axel may not provide the surface area contact to provide enough lift...without a plate of some sort to spread the load to the bag..(similar to load spreader you might use with an ordinary jack to prevent it sinking )
andy.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
When we had a blow out on our transit based van the lad in the tyre place had a walk round went to get his jacks and 2 sledge hammers and it took him 15 minutes a side to get the 4 wheels off, not a road side job
when i took the wheels of our MH the other day i made sure they went back on well greased up with copper grease :)

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Your jack mat need to have a cupped top welded to it to carry the axle as most seem to come with a button end on them for some reason. anything put on those jacks WILL FALL OFF. the added pies will secure the axle in the cupped bit.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Chose this as it shows the guy getting it wrong and re adjusting.
You can google air Jacks, especially the Russians they dont give a S**t it doesn't need full contact to work but you wouldn't balance on a 6" bolt Would you ??
You will have noticed in a previous reply I have used AND Abused these remember they are emergency lifting equipment get a
proper set up for servicing and precise jacking
Never get under a vehicle using an air/exhaust jack.
In case you hadnt worked it out yet
Twin rear wheel Motor Homes (Flatt outer wheel only) and tag axle vehicles and trailers can use a leveling a ramp as a speed Jack, simply place one ramp under the same side good tyre and drive or reverse up simples

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
Chose this as it shows the guy getting it wrong and re adjusting.
You can google air Jacks, especially the Russians they dont give a S**t it doesn't need full contact to work but you wouldn't balance on a 6" bolt Would you ??
You will have noticed in a previous reply I have used AND Abused these remember they are emergency lifting equipment get a
proper set up for servicing and precise jacking
Never get under a vehicle using an air/exhaust jack.
In case you hadnt worked it out yet
Twin rear wheel Motor Homes (Flatt outer wheel only) and tag axle vehicles and trailers can use a leveling a ramp as a speed Jack, simply place one ramp under the same side good tyre and drive or reverse up simples

All I can say George is I'm glad I'm not an off-road fanaticFFS I couldn't be doing with all the hassle
Brian & Jo

Last edited:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Know what you mean Brian But im 99% sure they deliberately got themselves in that mess for the vid :xdoh:
I hope they did or they should give up off roading:xrofl::xrofl::xrofl:

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
[QUOTE="GWAYGWAY, post: 2162278, member: 33216" the added pies will secure the axle in the cupped bit.[/QUOTE]

How many pies & do they need carrots ?:xgrin:

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Not Cheap but the purfik solution
A couple of 2ft square carpet tiles for protection top and bottom and you can change wheels on Tarmac Grass Mud and Sand
4 Ton Exhaust Jack
View attachment 138867 View attachment 138868
Link Removed

Well, Bu88er Me. I no sooner started thinking "what about those exhaust jacking bags that used to be advertised". that Geo come up with this!. You reading my Mind at distance? do I need the "Tin foil" Helmet!.?.

On a serious Note I have seen some Fire Brigades have them?, For RTA`s?. and some where used to support carriages during recovery, when that Train was De-railed Near Great Heck.

BTW. I`m in the "Only Carry a spare Tyre Camp". Not being allowed to go beyond the limits of these islands any more, for health insurance reasons, (Hugely expensive!!) We are nearly always within calling of a Tyre fitter.

EDIT:- I once closed N/S Lane M25 Friday Afternoon, Even got a Mention on "Sallys Traffic"!!!. Blown O/S Inner on R-V. When we got off the 25 and into a layby by on the 217?. They had the send for a Torque Mulitiplyer, before they could move the Rear inner!.

Last edited:

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
My recovery on the 7.5 tonner only covered puncture call out if you had a wheel with you . I just got a nice Air Wrench , so i will be good to get the nuts off, although the bar i carry should be good enough, its a steel tube with a a sledge hammer head on one end, so you can get the wheels off.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back