Just bought a sat nav (1 Viewer)

Jul 4, 2016
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
V-Line 636 Sport
Tom Tom Trucker

I haven't opened it yet as I'm thinking of taking it back for a refund. Its a very expensive bit of kit and I'm not sure if its any better than the Tom Tom built into the Fiat. I thought it would be useful to avoid low bridges and narrow lanes.

I did look at Snooper but the reviews were not very good.

Does anyone use this type of sat nav and find it useful?

IMG_2616_zpsxdrq4dzz.jpg

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
I bought the Garmin 660 Camper from Aldi last year. I also use it everyday for my truck. Cost me £199.00 but some got it £60/70 cheaper but I still think o got a bargain.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Problem with all these "Trucker" styled SatNavs is that they are only as good as the mapping data allows.
If there's no height, width, weight data recorded for your route, you could be sent down inappropriate roads by any brand of GPS

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
I personally don't have one but my son who had a Snooper 8500 that didn't perform as expectedly, a month ago he replaced it with the TomTom Truck unit as he'd previously had a 1005 that was good and he loves it,totally confident in the directions, his MH is 9m x 3.4h

M1ke

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Tracker FB
Exp
5 years
The Tom Tom built into my 2016 Fiat drives me crazy. No matter what settings I put into it, the darned thing has a habit of taking me off an A road driving along a windy B road just to take me back onto the original A road. :mad:

John&Kate

Free Member
Aug 30, 2015
Waterlooville
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Sept 2015
Personally .. .. ..

I prefer Google, free on my Android HTC. No updating required. It assumes your in a car only.
I find it more useful to read road signs when driving a vehicle over 3.5t, rather than rely solely on a device. Google is great to see ahead (as in junctions and turning) but you cant beat old fashioned road sense.

:cool:

Dec 11, 2011
Nr Hastings, East Sussex
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Tracker RL
Exp
since 2010
If it comes with free map updates for life then I'm sure it will be fine! I'm still using the TomTom Camper & Caravan model that they don't sell anymore. It annoys me every time I have to pay for a map update (it didn't come with lifetime updates when I bought mine!) :mad:
The TomTom seems to work just fine.

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
i have a tomtom truck 6000, it is better than all the other sat navs i have tried (garmin/copilot/fiattomtom) but as with all satnavs common sense should prevail.It has worked for us both here and in Europe with virtually no issues. The new motorhome has a pioneer satnav built in which is supposed to be good but i have to pay for map updates where as with the tomtom truck 6000 the map updates are free so for the moment this is what i will continue to use. I should also point out tomtom support are very unsupportive if you get an issue which i did with the traffic side of things. Took them 3 months to sort it out which they did in the end.

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
If it comes with free map updates for life then I'm sure it will be fine! I'm still using the TomTom Camper & Caravan model that they don't sell anymore. It annoys me every time I have to pay for a map update (it didn't come with lifetime updates when I bought mine!) :mad:
The TomTom seems to work just fine.
I have the tomtom camper version as well which has free lifetime map updates, dont use it anymore but it is still a good piece of kit.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back