LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
And me too Jon, give me the simple traditional engineering anytime
Michael sallylillian how long did you have the brand new van before you had a problem with you door?
How long did it take you to sort the problem yourself?
Could anybody have done it bearing in mind you are very knowledgeable with van maintenance?
Most owners are not as knowledgeable as you you nor do they have the time and inclination to start dismantling whole habitation doors on mega expensive vans
Our key has worked and the Concorde is in its 16 year, that will do me, it must be ready for a new lock soon lol.
Paul to answer your questions.
1. how long did you have the brand new van before you had a problem with you door? 4 months. I have covered this failure in another thread...on here I think? Problem was a design fault in the linkage which created inordinate forces on an already poorly conceived linkage. One of the 2 locking solenoids therefore was pulling nothing. I removed the inner door cover with the aid of some outlines from Peter OurMoreloLife and obtained replacements as previously mentioned.
2. How long did it take you to sort the problem yourself? Shorter than driving to Premium or Germany, if I was put on the spot to fix it with the assembly knowledge I now possess probably 2-3 hours labour or less if I was 17 again!
3. Could anybody have done it bearing in mind you are very knowledgeable with van maintenance? I would like to preface this answer by saying that you probably convey a higher skill level upon me than I actually possess, but thank you. In terms of skill required if you have a set of hex wrenches and Torx drivers then its a simple job in many respects, but it does assume a basic mechanical mind which I will accept I do have.
4. Most owners are not as knowledgeable as you you nor do they have the time and inclination to start dismantling whole habitation doors on mega expensive vans. At risk of repeating myself I think if you choose to buy a motor home you need to have some basic skills, whether it is an expensive van or a lesser one the problems are the same, money does not necessarily guarantee a problem free van. For me I started with boating nearly 40 years ago and my skills have been honed over that time by trial and error and preferring to spend 8 hours doing a job that I would consider a bill for 1 hour extortion from a professional. Very often skill is the mirage of knowledge, so my door for example, it took me 3 hours to get 2 essential fixings out, they were more or less blind and behind the handle. I finally sussed they were 5mm hex, but I needed an extended key to get to it. A guy who does this day in day out would have had them out in 2 mins! I later found a Janet and John on another forum. Both my boats and my vans, the Yankee and the Flair, came with caveats on warranty and or maintenance, drive hundreds of miles or fix it yourself. I choose the latter. Yes those who simply have no inclination or basic ability are going to be stuck but that will not stop these issues occurring and with people like you, me and all the others in this wonderful world of internet they can share "how to" and all become experts?

That's why I get dismayed when interesting threads on issues and how to fix them dissolve into drivel on occasions.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
And me too Jon, give me the simple traditional engineering anytime
Michael sallylillian how long did you have the brand new van before you had a problem with you door?
How long did it take you to sort the problem yourself?
Could anybody have done it bearing in mind you are very knowledgeable with van maintenance?
Most owners are not as knowledgeable as you you nor do they have the time and inclination to start dismantling whole habitation doors on mega expensive vans
Our key has worked and the Concorde is in its 16 year, that will do me, it must be ready for a new lock soon lol.
To be fair Paul there are plenty of keyed doors that fail as well but they are most likely cheaper to fix.

Martin

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
I understand that Jon but at the same time I love the keyless on our BMW, walk up to the car and open the door sit inside and start it (y) job done, walk up to the boot with two bags of shopping and the puddles are inches deep so you don't want to put down your bags, swish a foot under the bumper and the tailgate opens(y) job done.

Anyway back to motorhomes, for sure part of me is in the keep it simple camp and then the other part loves this techno stuff but the acid test for me is wether it is reliable or not?

Watch this space.

Martin

Me too... I have a keyless system on my Touareg - I love it! No more rummaging around in my handbag for keys! ?

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
I’m thinking of the narrow, single track roads with passing places.
A concern for any motorhome to be fair. Assuming that the dustcart uses the road in question then clearly it is possible, however there are roads I travel on in Cornwall on a daily basis with my car but I would not go down them in any motorhome that I cared about, maybe one of the small sliding door PVC thingys would be fine assuming it didn't meet the dustcart coming the other way of course.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
I really feel part of the motorhome fraternity now Michael - with my PVC thingy :(
Sorry was not meant as an insult I just have no idea what they are other than when they are parked next to me and do seem very agile in comparison, and they make their presence known by the zillions of door bangs 24/7 ;)

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Sorry was not meant as an insult I just have no idea what they are other than when they are parked next to me and do seem very agile in comparison, and they make their presence known by the zillions of door bangs 24/7 ;)

We have a zeeeeeeeee-click electric door so we're always good neighbours.

However, some people don't seem to like the resonance of the 2000W speakers that our stereo pumps out at night.

Anyway, enough of that Michael; please tell me why a Morelo is parking next to a lowly PVC in the first place. I though the whole point of owning a Morelo or Concorde was to park it on a site dedicated to other posh vans - I don't want to be mixing with other folk like me if we go posh.

Last edited:
OP
OP
dpsuk999
Jun 6, 2012
Leeds
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
Along with Martin funflair we also picked up our Palace from Premium Motorhomes today, the handover was done last week so it was just a matter of driving over (only 39 miles for me) loading the smart into the back, paying and I was in my way ???. Here are a couple of pics ??

B32DADC1-4B32-4D73-973A-D356CCC4C92A.jpeg

149E8FF5-0616-4262-92F6-BB7FC2CA44D3.jpeg

1D132889-4086-4B8B-BF0C-2E8808AAA205.jpeg

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Along with Martin funflair we also picked up our Palace from Premium Motorhomes today, the handover was done last week so it was just a matter of driving over (only 39 miles for me) loading the smart into the back, paying and I was in my way ???. Here are a couple of pics ??

View attachment 389958

View attachment 389959

View attachment 389960
Looking amazing ! Happy and safe travels!

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Congratulations lovely looking van, love the Smartie in the back enjoy.

Ian C

Free Member
Sep 4, 2016
Spain
Funster No
MH
Morelo Loft 82 LB
Exp
3 years
It looks fab, hope you can get out to enjoy it.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp

? Door banging. ?
? I only do that when I'm put in the shade when I have chosen not to be. ? Good to know it can be heard, ? it saves me getting the dog continuously barking. ?
At least I know I'm bring ignored. ?
I am joking of course, we only use our van in summer, and can only dream of getting some shade, ? but we have to get close. ? Bob.

OP
OP
dpsuk999
Jun 6, 2012
Leeds
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
It's a fantastic MH. Just one question. When you load the smart in the back, how do you open the smart door to get out of the van, do you have to climb out through the side garage door?
It’s winched in ??
Normally car garage type motorhomes don’t usually have the extra side garage door but this one does so it makes putting the handbrake on a lot easier ?? I do know of people who climb through the boot to put handbrake on but I’m lucky this one has the extra door ?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back