Just bought a Palace (1 Viewer)

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Yep, me too!! How do you think I feel, I live 80 seconds away from premium motorhomes, so have to see them coming and going. I do try to look the other way tho, but it is hard to fight Morelo envy??
On a lighter note, at this rate there’ll be more Morelo‘s out there than Adria Sonics, so I’m nearly happy I’ll be in quite an exclusive club!????
So,exactly what is good about them?

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
What is the length of it David, your Morelo that is? :giggle:

......and are you just intending to use it in Europe only.

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
So,exactly what is good about them?
I don’t have an in-depth knowledge of them tbh, then again I don’t have an in-depth knowledge of Rolls Royce either, but they both look nice!?

Seriously did you really need to ask???‍♂️ Do you not like them?

Rear wheel drive could be useful???

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
I don’t have an in-depth knowledge of them tbh, then again I don’t have an in-depth knowledge of Rolls Royce either, but they both look nice!?

Seriously did you really need to ask???‍♂️ Do you not like them?

Rear wheel drive could be useful???
Seriously,yes!
I know little about them. Hence...I ask the question..what is so good about them?
Not difficult is it..a serious question.
I could ask one of their dealers.....but they may be a tad biased.
I could look at pictures of them...not really very analytical.

What is their USP?
Why would I buy one,as opposed to another?

With that amount of money at my disposal I expect something very special,but it has to be value for money.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Seriously,yes!
I know little about them. Hence...I ask the question..what is so good about them?
Not difficult is it..a serious question.
I could ask one of their dealers.....but they may be a tad biased.
I could look at pictures of them...not really very analytical.

What is their USP?
Why would I buy one,as opposed to another?

With that amount of money at my disposal I expect something very special,but it has to be value for money.
Value for money? I don’t think so really as you can get a van for a lot less money that will do the same basic job.

But these aren’t basic vans and you do get,

Quality build on the IVECO chassis with options like Telma retarder, 8speed torque converter auto, extra capacity fuel tank, active air suspension. Chassis optimised for A class motorhome with the dashboard raised and pushed forward giving a good driving position and one level raised floor. Alde heating OK lots have that but these have heated floor as well. Lots of living space inside with good storages inside and out, big garage, over 2000kg payload so you can have big tanks for gas, fresh water, grey and black water, Lithium batteries roof space for plenty of solar etc etc so great for self sufficiency and luxury accomadation for long trips.

it’s not just one thing though it’s a package, and it either suits you or it doesn’t.

Martin

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Adding to Martins detailed answer, there is the issue of design and standard of finish. Little things one can see that are obviously well considered. For example I continue to find hidden access points to serviceable parts. The laminate has smooth curved lines (current models) with intricate, cleanly executed, but not fussy mouldings. I had a N+B Flair not a down market van but differences show up in the Morelos more substantial and well executed plumbing, doors and drawer closures that whilst more analogue than digital are much more practical. For example the whizzy electromechanical locking of drawers on the Flair was a very modern concept with interlinks to alarms, solenoids and locking bars. BUT they were flimsy and poorly assembled so in an emergency stop my rear under bed drawer ripped out the locking bar and flew across the bathroom. This was due to the weak assembly unable to contain the G force. Now the Morelo may be more analogue with its push lock buttons for draws but a simple glance around reveals those not locked, and it is a positive locking mechanism.
It is hard to answer your question as from one angle it could be construed as disingenuous however on the basis that it is genuine you have to go and see them, examine them with your experience of motor homes and compare to Morelos peers like Concorde and Phoenix. It is easy to say that something is not worth the money or it is not value for money but when you compare what you get in the real world peer group you get a good package that appeals to all the senses as you explore the van in the flesh.
Michael

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
I often find it difficult to understand the build quality of some top end vans, for example I was talking to someone with a new Concorde who had to have a complete new habitation door after a few months
Damp had got into the keypad, he had a complete new door fitted and is already having further problems.

How utterly ridiculous is that, I mean, why can't you just get a new keypad?
The main point for me is concentrate on build quality and longevity, someone is going to own the van in 15 to 20 to 30 years etc

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
I often find it difficult to understand the build quality of some top end vans, for example I was talking to someone with a new Concorde who had to have a complete new habitation door after a few months
Damp had got into the keypad, he had a complete new door fitted and is already having further problems.

How utterly ridiculous is that, I mean, why can't you just got a new keypad?
The main point for me is concentrate on build quality and longevity, someone is going to own the van in 15 to 20 to 30 years etc
Couldn't agree more Paul. Give me good engineering over gizmo s every time.
Btw when I asked southdowns about concordes electric doors, they reckoned the solenoid s are VW

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015

Things fail from time to time no matter how high end the vehicle. We've never had a problem with our keypad and we really like not having to bother with keys.

In your friend's case I expect that the water got into the door itself and put the keypad out of action and that is why the replaced the whole door. The keypad is a touchscreen in the glass below the door window. The window and the glass touchscreen are one continuous glass unit so there wouldn't have been a way for water to get into the touchscreen alone.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Things fail from time to time no matter how high end the vehicle. We've never had a problem with our keypad and we really like not having to bother with keys.

In your friend's case I expect that the water got into the door itself and put the keypad out of action and that is why the replaced the whole door. The keypad is a touchscreen in the glass below the door window. The window and the glass touchscreen are one continuous glass unit so there wouldn't have been a way for water to get into the touchscreen alone.

Yes each to their own, brand new door fitted and further problems already, I know what system I would sooner have.
Doesn't sound too good for another owner a few years down the line

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+

You can ! Don’t ask me why you can’t from Concorde as I’ve no idea,however, once the door was stripped down to gain access to the Keypad it actually shows the Manufacturer if the unit , contact them and they supply the unit direct to you at little cost actually.
This is factual but please don’t ask for more information as it was a friend that did this but I witnessed it.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
My suspicion is that it’s easier / quicker for the dealer to swap the door than to strip it down and replace Componenets.

We had an issue with pitting on our alloy wheels.N&B agreed to replace them under warranty. Imagine our surprise when we found that we had 4 new tyres too

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
My suspicion is that it’s easier / quicker for the dealer to swap the door than to strip it down and replace Componenets.

Sadly as is normal it’s more likely profit orienated,many moons ago we had a Flair 2012 just over a year old and to cut a long story short the LCD screen that operates the Water/Gas/ info etc went haywire, nobody appeared able to reboot it TW etal, therefore,we opted to replace it, we had to go through TW the Dealer and the cost was £1700.00. Unbelievable but true. N+B didn’t want to know unlike Concorde that willingly assist and supply direct.

2015 We were at Düsseldorf where we actually ordered our first Concorde. But guess what the Manufacturer of the LCD screens were there and I had taken the old one with me in the hope this would happen and I could ask if it could be rebooted in that I might be able to sell in order to recoup some of the cost of the new one.Very nice people ,unfortunately what I had hoped wasn’t possible but it was a long shot so nothing lost.

Finally, I told them I paid £1700.00 and they were astonished and the words that came out of the guy’s mouth were;

If we got anyway near that price we would be ordering a Ferrari in the morning and Maserati in the afternoon.

Say no more.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
The person you referred to with a new Concorde and the door keypad issue I assume was not a good acquaintance then? Southdowners Karen is your door a Rhein Composite one?
Michael

No, we didn't go into the details of what type of door it was, just the issues which astonished me.

At least if it happens out of warranty there maybe a solution according to Littlewheels post for a poor unsuspecting owner

Last edited:

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Paul do Concorde use the Rhein Composite doors?
Hi Michael

I think the answer to that is yes, if you look at Rhein composite web site it shows a couple of Concorde vans, I was looking for information on their remote key fob locking (which I believe is standard on Palace now) when I saw the Concorde's.

Martin

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
The person you referred to with a new Concorde and the door keypad issue I assume was not a good acquaintance then? Southdowners Karen is your door a Rhein Composite one?
Michael

Yes it is.

The door is very well made. We find not having to bother with keys a real bonus. It also means there’s little chance of the lock freezing in low temperatures unlike conventional locks.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
funflair Southdowners Thank you Martin and Karen, I thought that was the case. As I have reported I dismantled my door (A Rhein Composite) due to the lock linkage failure and reinstalled new redesigned linkages which I received 2 sets of, one from Morelo and one from the manufacturer. They are easy to repair and replace items of construction once you have removed the inside cover and that was my reason for asking Paul CazPaul so he could have told his friend. But that is now moot anyway.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Hi Michael

I think the answer to that is yes, if you look at Rhein composite web site it shows a couple of Concorde vans, I was looking for information on their remote key fob locking (which I believe is standard on Palace now) when I saw the Concorde's.

Martin
Yes Martin they are standard, 2 off, that said I just use the keypad. There is also a remote mechanical override lever hidden in a locker for emergency release. Remember to ask about both that one and the one for the garage. You will need an external locker flap key so a hidden one outside the vehicle is belt an braces for lost keys and pad failure.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Yes it is.

The door is very well made. We find not having to bother with keys a real bonus. It also means there’s little chance of the lock freezing in low temperatures unlike conventional locks.
Exactly right Karen, the only risk is dead hab batteries or an electrical fault in the door/pad, however as I have outlined to Martin Morelo have that covered, and assume Concorde have a somewhat similar emergency release too? Our keypad also allows the control of the outside under awning LEDs if they are fitted (option on Palace) is that the same with Concorde?

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Yes Martin they are standard, 2 off, that said I just use the keypad. There is also a remote mechanical override lever hidden in a locker for emergency release. Remember to ask about both that one and the one for the garage. You will need an external locker flap key so a hidden one outside the vehicle is belt an braces for lost keys and pad failure.
Sorry guys that alone would be a strong argument not to buy it for me. Give me a key every single time. In fact I don't get all this keyless etc - you walk up to something put in your key and turn it, what can be simpler? We had a keyless Suzuki on our Sri lankan trip what a pain! you couldnt even open a window with starting it and to start it you had to sit in it. It also had stop start and collison avoidance ACC lane whatever? it could have been a nice little car but all it achieved was irritation and confusion.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Sorry guys that alone would be a strong argument not to buy it for me. Give me a key every single time. In fact I don't get all this keyless etc - you walk up to something put in your key and turn it, what can be simpler? We had a keyless Suzuki on our Sri lankan trip what a pain! you couldnt even open a window with starting it and to start it you had to sit in it. It also had stop start and collison avoidance ACC lane whatever? it could have been a nice little car but all it achieved was irritation and confusion.
I understand that Jon but at the same time I love the keyless on our BMW, walk up to the car and open the door sit inside and start it (y) job done, walk up to the boot with two bags of shopping and the puddles are inches deep so you don't want to put down your bags, swish a foot under the bumper and the tailgate opens(y) job done.

Anyway back to motorhomes, for sure part of me is in the keep it simple camp and then the other part loves this techno stuff but the acid test for me is wether it is reliable or not?

Watch this space.

Martin

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Bugger it Jon, get a horse save all that worry;)... second thoughts it might go lame :cautious:

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
We had a keyless Suzuki on our Sri lankan trip what a pain! you couldnt even open a window with starting it and to start it you had to sit in it. It also had stop start and collison avoidance ACC lane whatever? it could have been a nice little car but all it achieved was irritation and confusion.
Had a few key less entry cars but not a Suzuki one, but in ours you can adjust electric windows without having to start the engine - if that’s what “start it” meant.
Because to get the engine running in our vehicles you have to drip the clutch (manual) or press on the break (automatic) while pressing “start”, if you press start without using a pedal you just turn on the electrics.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007

And me too Jon, give me the simple traditional engineering anytime
Michael sallylillian how long did you have the brand new van before you had a problem with you door?
How long did it take you to sort the problem yourself?
Could anybody have done it bearing in mind you are very knowledgeable with van maintenance?
Most owners are not as knowledgeable as you you nor do they have the time and inclination to start dismantling whole habitation doors on mega expensive vans
Our key has worked and the Concorde is in its 16 year, that will do me, it must be ready for a new lock soon lol.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back