Just bought a motor home (1 Viewer)

Oct 11, 2016
Bognor Regis
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 69-4
Exp
6 years
We have camped for for many years and now that there is just the 2 of us at home we thought we would give a motor home a try.
Before we took the plunge we hired one to see if it was for us. We travelled through France as far as the Camargue. We obviously enjoyed it as we have bought our own and we are now awaiting a delivery date.
I've sorted storage and am now exploring insurance. We are members of the Camping and Caravanning Club and they have provided one quote so if there are other good companies I would welcome a recommendation.

Paul

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
There is a big list of insurers in the Resources section.. But I dont think you can access it without being a subscriber..
£15 a year... Might be the best money you spend on a Motorhome (y)

Welcome anyway... :)

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
IMG_0855.GIF

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Depending on the motorhome you have bought be careful about windscreen cover when buying insurance.
If you have an A class the cost of a screen can be well above the amount that most insurance companies will cover, although a coach built on a Ducato or similar will usually be OK.

Safeguard gave us a good quote when we changed vans and they include unlimited screen cover and European recovery.

Just picked up a couple of chips on the screen and it's now splitting so a claim is in and am very relieved that the cost is covered. It's a big screen.

Richard.

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
:HelloThere::welcome4:

We used NFU this time for insurance very good quote and good sensible policy.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Safeguard on my last Moho but had to switch to NFU for this van and I'm well pleased with them. Welcome aboard Paul. It is without doubt the best mo Ho forum by far.
I'm sat in cite-europe thinking about the meaning of life and the sad loss we've all experienced today and lo and behold I got chatting with the guy next door. He had purchased a brand new Burstner in April this year and to day he was heading for home after just spending 4weeks racing around France. It was only his second time out in his van and guess what......

He was a MHFun member and his name was @sussexlad hayling from Haywards Heath.

Small world but hey, still wouldn't want to clean it.

Welcome Funster........ Griff

Golygfor

Free Member
Oct 1, 2016
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G781
Exp
Ex tower now converted
There is a big list of insurers in the Resources section.. But I dont think you can access it without being a subscriber..
£15 a year... Might be the best money you spend on a Motorhome (y)

Welcome anyway... :)

Hi! I Agree with @tonka. I am a newbie too (picking up new to us, MH up on Saturday squeee!) I have and am learning so much from this site. £15 is the price of a good book and way more advice here and resources.

Enjoy! Comfort (never heard of them until this site) quoted us £200 less than the others! Shop around, of course.

Enjoy! :)

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi & Big Welcome from the Isle of Wight
We've used Saga for a number of years but changed tothe caravan club this year £239

Terry & Ann + ASBO our cocker

Trevor Pettifer

Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Niesmann Bischoff Arto 83
Exp
3 months
Hi, we're with Comfort Insurance. Never had to claim so can't comment on that aspect but their rates and cover provided were the best we could find.

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Safeguard on my last Moho but had to switch to NFU for this van and I'm well pleased with them. Welcome aboard Paul. It is without doubt the best mo Ho forum by far.
I'm sat in cite-europe thinking about the meaning of life and the sad loss we've all experienced today and lo and behold I got chatting with the guy next door. He had purchased a brand new Burstner in April this year and to day he was heading for home after just spending 4weeks racing around France. It was only his second time out in his van and guess what......

He was a MHFun member and his name was @sussexlad hayling from Haywards Heath.

Small world but hey, still wouldn't want to clean it.

Welcome Funster........ Griff
Found cite Europe this time ok then Paul lol

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Yes but then I had no old codger slowing more time to concentrate. ;)
Yes know what you mean , not too many farm tracks around cité Europe that need reversing out of . I had problems with a old tank I was following doing just that ..lol

Last edited:

Muriel

Free Member
Oct 5, 2016
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Hi and :WelcomeFlag: I've also just purchased my first motor home. I've used AIB insurance and found them to be very reasonable.

I wish you all the best with your motor home,

OP
OP
Bognor Saint
Oct 11, 2016
Bognor Regis
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 69-4
Exp
6 years
Thanks for the welcome.
Still waiting for a date for pick up.
It's an auto trail tracker EKS.
I will be asking more questions!

Oct 19, 2015
Burgess Hill, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 580
Exp
Since 2016
Welcome Paul Blackman and welcome home @sussexlad

Thanks Movan and hello to Mr & Mrs Popeye.

We bought our first MH 6 months ago. We used Scenic Insurance who are part of Swinton. They are acting as Brokers and we accepted a quote from AXA. One advantage was that although the Van was brand new they didn't insist on an alarm. Also they would insure it on the VIN number initially which we needed because we imported it.

Somebody else quoted AXA to us but on that occasion an alarm was required?

OP
OP
Bognor Saint
Oct 11, 2016
Bognor Regis
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 69-4
Exp
6 years
Just beard today that we can pick the motor home up on Thursday. After the handover we shall take it home, explore it and then Friday we shall set off for the camping and caravaning club site at Corfe Castle.
Sadly this is likely not be the only chance to get away this year as one daughter about to deliver and another getting married in December.
Anybody know the site the Corfe Castle?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back