Just another solar panel thread (1 Viewer)

Jun 2, 2018
Beautiful North Wales border
Funster No
MH
Carado T449
Exp
Since 2015
About to plan and install the solar kit for the moho.

7m van, just the Memsahib and me. We are about to be given early parole from full-time emplyment so planning plenty of long trips (once monkeypox allows overseas travel) and not keen on staying on sites/EHU. Usual power requirements - LED lights, a little telly, laptop/phone charging and heater pump in the winter. We also want it to recharge the e-bikes (via DCDC not inverter) and possible in time an electric moped thing.

We are planning winter trips/Scandianvia as well as southern Europe, so our needs are quite diverse. I'm planning on two 100ah agm leisure batteries. I've got plenty of roof space.

Anyway - the key question:

Other than the extra weight/cost, is there any downside to overspeccing the solar panels provided you have a reasonable MPPT controller? If 150w is sufficient to replenish our use in summer, is there a reason not to put in 250 or 300w to cope with a run of a week's miserable weather or winter trips?

Thanks as always, for the collected wisdom of the Funster crowd.

BigDean

Free Member
Mar 31, 2018
Bath, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria
Exp
Since 2017
Would read the many threads on here and consider lithium or gels rather than AGM.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

BigDean

Free Member
Mar 31, 2018
Bath, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria
Exp
Since 2017
I was trying to keep the cost down and already have one 100ah AGM leisure battery - so was simply planning to match it.
That makes sense, but AGM can only be discharged (generally) to 50%. Gels and lithium much more so far more useable power in same footprint. But of course it all costs…..

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
eBikes carry quite a lot of angry pixies in their power cells. Recharging a bike will eat into a lot of your budget. I'd get at least 300w. Even that won't get you much juice in a northern winter.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Deleted User
I originally had 200 watts of solar and two 100ah AGM batteries, ok for summer use but pretty poor from 0ct-March in the UK.
If travelling in winter to Scandinavia with limited sun which will be low lying this system will struggle to meet your needs.
Investing in lithium batteries with a inverter is the only way.
Lithium also has the advantage of rapid charging when the engine is running.
My system was fitted by Roadpro, they have some useful guides on their website.
Expect to pay a minimum of 3k plus costs of solar panels.

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
West Yorkshire occasionally
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
Lithium also has the advantage of rapid charging when the engine is running.
Pure Lead Carbon is similar to Lithium (not the same) as in they charge from a DC to DC charger when engine running in around 40 mins or my 2 x 100ah ones do, also the no. of cycles is well up on lead acid batteries and mine were around a quarter cost of good Lithiums

Just an option if the OP is trying to keep costs down a bit (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back