Rally Chat Jurassic Fields Festival & Seaside Meet, Highlands End Park, Bridport 12-16 July 2018 (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Will post some of the headline acts appearing at Jurassic Fields Festival to give an idea of the wide range of music styles.
The Dualers - a 9 piece Ska & Reggae band from South East London. They have performed alongside some of the biggest names in Ska and Reggae including The Skatalites , Prince Buster , Toots and The Maytals , Ziggy Marley , Jimmy Cliff , UB40 and Madness.

For anyone that has seen the excellent Si Cranstoun :notworthy2: at Retrofestival - the lead singer Tyber is his brother & they originally sang together.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Tankus The Henge have a great following at festivals & give an excellent performance "combining wild showmanship and musical dexterity their sound incorporates rock, funk, blues, ska, roots and gypsy rhythms and their songs tell stories of wonder and woe."

Last edited:
OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Have now added a suggested itinerary & list of possible things to do on the first post of this thread - this will be kept updated with the latest info. Please feel free to make suggestions & Funsters are welcome to gather together for trips & activities or do your own thing (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Blast from the past Dr and the Medics "are celebrating their 35th Anniversary this year! The band were created in 1982 by the Rev. Dr. Clive Thomas Jackson and, last year, they also celebrated the 30th Anniversary of the song that they are best known for – their massive 1986 No 1 “Spirit in the Sky,” which sold over 23 Million copies worldwide and was number 1 in 19 countries!
Throughout their career they have always been recognised as a great live act, never more so than with the current line-up that delivers a unique and sensationally flamboyant show, packed full of “Medic’d up” 80’s hits along with a few Medic’s originals that are going down a storm at every show.
2015 saw the band return to the recording studio releasing their acclaimed version of Dead or Alive’s “You Spin Me Round” with a great video "

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
We have grandchildren that weekend so cannot come this time, they are still at school, or it would have been worth a mad dash even for just the Saturday night at the festival. Problem is we would have to travel home on the Sunday. We will definitely look out for this next year.

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
We have grandchildren that weekend so cannot come this time, they are still at school, or it would have been worth a mad dash even for just the Saturday night at the festival. Problem is we would have to travel home on the Sunday. We will definitely look out for this next year.
Grandchildren are welcome if you could bring them :) The festival camping is just for Friday & Saturday night if you can't do all four at Highlands End.
Hopefully the take up will be enough this year to make it worth organising again next year as it's a great part of the country to spend time in.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Yep! we're down for that! will book tomorrow or Monday.

Jul 26, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
since May 2010
I'm interested! Are the campsite prices per van or per person? If it's per van is there any single person discount?

Thanks

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
I'm interested! Are the campsite prices per van or per person? If it's per van is there any single person discount?

Thanks
Prices at Highlands End are for the pitch with up to 2 people & they get fully booked at that time of the year so no more wiggle room on the discounted price (& 1 dog free). Another option & great value for those camping solo there is the festival camping for the Friday & Saturday nights @scottie has already booked this option & sure this will suit some others too.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
since May 2010
Prices at Highlands End are for the pitch with up to 2 people & they get fully booked at that time of the year so no more wiggle room on the discounted price (& 1 dog free). Another option & great value for those camping solo there is the festival camping for the Friday & Saturday nights @scottie has already booked this option & sure this will suit some others too.
Not sure if I'm being dense, but it seems like Highlands may be better value even for 1 person. The Jurassic Fields site says that a concessionary weekend pass with camping is £35, plus a camper van pass is £40. I'd rather pay a couple of quid more for the facilities that Highland offers.

Need to check now whether my friend would be interested in this, plus whether I can book time off work.

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Not sure if I'm being dense, but it seems like Highlands may be better value even for 1 person. The Jurassic Fields site says that a concessionary weekend pass with camping is £35, plus a camper van pass is £40. I'd rather pay a couple of quid more for the facilities that Highland offers.

Need to check now whether my friend would be interested in this, plus whether I can book time off work.
That is how most festivals do price it paying extra on top of the festival & camping ticket for a campervan (although normally a prime level separate area) but I'll check with the organisers how it works for solos as they agreed that for 2 adults with a motorhome would it be £27 (weekend ticket) each plus £40 campervan pass so £94 total for weekend then if over 60 £15 each plus £40 so total £70. The festival camping is basic camping in a field with water, waste & chemical loos. As they have said that campervan camping provided is the same as other camping then maybe it is ok just to book 1 weekend camping ticket for solos with motorhomes so £35 if over 60 or £47.50 adult & not another £40 on top? The organisers have been very helpful & responsive so I will ask & keep my fingers crossed that this is the case as sure that at those prices for 2 nights camping & a festival that would be a tempting offer for many solo Funsters :)
If you do decide to bring a friend & book Highlands End then please PM me for the Fun discount code & direct booking info.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2015
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Hoping to buy 2016
Exp
None whatsoever
We are interested...Chris will check with work tomorrow if he can get the time off.
Lesley,Chris & Muffin

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
We are interested...Chris will check with work tomorrow if he can get the time off.
Lesley,Chris & Muffin
Will PM you with the Fun discount code & booking details just in case :)

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Booked up today, arrive 12th leave 16th

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
With over 40 acts there are many more to be added including folk bands & other genres of music :dance2:

Dub Pistols are another headline act who have played at Glastonbury & Bestival festival:
"A rampant mix of dub, reggae, ska, punk, breaks, beats and drum ‘n’ bass, the album is a full-on dub-quaking extravaganza, built for big fields and summer sound systems. It also happens to feature some of the biggest names in the game including Dancehall dons Beenie Man and Cutty Ranks, reggae singer Earl Sixteen, hip-hop act Too Many T’s, seminal MCs Navigator and the Ragga Twins, and long-time collaborator Lindy Layton.
Proudly working class as a band, the Dub Pistols have been tearing up venues and festivals throughout their career."

Last edited:
OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Rusty Shackle " have been tearing up stages around the world since 2010. Brandishing their distinct folk-roots sound and armed with an electrifying mix of rampant fiddle, scorching electric guitars, pounding drums, searing trumpet and banjo, the band have built up a devoted fanbase with their captivating live shows.
Constantly evolving their sound, the band have released three albums over the last few years, each reaching the top 3 in the iTunes ‘Alternative Folk/Singer Songwriter’ charts. The songs are steeped in honest emotion and story telling and are born from the fires of Bruce Springsteen, Seth Lakeman, infused with the raw energy of Jack White and creativity of Tom Waits and mix it with everything in between."

Some might remember this Welsh group from BunkFest last year (y) Their most prestigious performances to date have been at Glastonbury, Cambridge Folk and Beautiful Days Festivals.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
That is how most festivals do price it paying extra on top of the festival & camping ticket for a campervan (although normally a prime level separate area) but I'll check with the organisers how it works for solos as they agreed that for 2 adults with a motorhome would it be £27 (weekend ticket) each plus £40 campervan pass so £94 total for weekend then if over 60 £15 each plus £40 so total £70. The festival camping is basic camping in a field with water, waste & chemical loos. As they have said that campervan camping provided is the same as other camping then maybe it is ok just to book 1 weekend camping ticket for solos with motorhomes so £35 if over 60 or £47.50 adult & not another £40 on top? The organisers have been very helpful & responsive so I will ask & keep my fingers crossed that this is the case as sure that at those prices for 2 nights camping & a festival that would be a tempting offer for many solo Funsters :)
If you do decide to bring a friend & book Highlands End then please PM me for the Fun discount code & direct booking info.
Have asked to have solo prices clarified & waiting to hear back - will update as soon as we hear.

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
The Rews are a gritty Belfast/London female duo that play edgy rock guitar and drums who have a record contract & appeared on one of the main stages at Glastonbury Festival last year.

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Flight Brigade "Think of Flight Brigade as a family as much as a seven-strong band and you start to understand the chemistry between them. Think of their songs as epic stories to which each member is essential and you begin to grasp what makes their music so powerful. Watch them perform and you can’t fail to be struck by the special bond they share.
Flight Brigade’s strength in numbers suits the scope of their songs. The grand orchestral sweeps, the crunching anthemic guitars, With male/female vocals & strings set amidst synths & heavy guitars, their explosive live show feels like it’s their last day on earth, ‘as if Arcade Fire had a face off with Fleetwood Mac and then Renaissance came in for the kill’. Festival appearances have included Glastonbury, Bestival, Great Escape, Beautiful Days, Larmer Tree, Blissfields, Boomtown as well as Reeperbahn in Germany."

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
@catspyjamas & anyone else travelling solo :hi:
UPDATE:
It has been confirmed by the organisers that those travelling solo with a campervan or motorhome would need to buy the festival ticket (£15 - £27.50) & the campervan camping ticket (£40) to stay in the Jurassic Fields Festival camping area (basic facilities but closer to the Festival than Highlands End) so for 2 nights camping & entry to the whole Festival on Friday & Saturday for one it is currently £55 - £67.50. For two people at Early Bird prices it's from £70 - £94. Link here

Please note that these Early Bird ticket prices will increase from £15 to £25 each & £27.50 to £37.50 each so best to buy now if you want to go to the Festival whether you opt for Festival camping or join the Meet at Highlands End campsite.

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
The 3 Daft Monkeys dynamic folk music - "after experiencing the band’s notoriously energetic live performance at Glastonbury Festival Mark Radcliffe declared them as one of his “Highlights of the Festival” . Their music is hard to pigeon-hole, mixing and crossing many musical genres from Celtic, Klezmer, Gypsy, Balkan, Latin, Ska, Dub Reggae, Indie, Rock and even a hint of Shostakovich. With a brand new 4-piece line-up, the band weave enchanting melodies with catchy choruses, virtuoso vibrant fiddle, rhythmic 12-string guitar, 6-string bass, bespoke hand-percussion and 4-part vocal harmonies. Fascinating lyrics of personal and whimsical observations on life, and folk tales both ancient and modern, are told within the swirling layers of their music, all with the essential catchy sing-along chorus. "

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
We are off to the CCM NEC Show soon so we will catch up with any messages on Sunday/Monday :active:

Cotswoldiver

Free Member
Sep 2, 2016
Beenham
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Broadway El D
Exp
newbie with MH, 9 years with VW Camper
Thanks for the info. We have been looking for a friendly festival for the summer, usually do Cornbury in Oxfordshire but opted out of that this year. So add us to the interested list and PM me the magic code and I'll get it booked

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Thanks for the info. We have been looking for a friendly festival for the summer, usually do Cornbury in Oxfordshire but opted out of that this year. So add us to the interested list and PM me the magic code and I'll get it booked
Glad that you might want to join us - have updated the list & sent you a PM :)

Cotswoldiver

Free Member
Sep 2, 2016
Beenham
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Broadway El D
Exp
newbie with MH, 9 years with VW Camper
All booked this morning and festival tickets booked as well
David & Hannah