Jump Starter Power Pack (1 Viewer)

Dec 2, 2013
West Yorks
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Back after a 3 year break.
I'm thinking of buying a Topdon V2000 jump start power pack off Ebay as my engine battery is flat. Looking at the good reviews this power pack is more than adequate to start my engine. The question I'm asking is ; .... How is the power pack itself charged ? Neither the advert or reviews have given me the answer. Is it by Usb lead, or some other mains cable ? Any ideas ?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
If your battery is totally flat and has been for a while I would consider a new battery instead.
The power pack may well start the van but if the battery has failed it will need the power pack every time.
Dead batteries calcify in a short time and won't hold a charge for long.

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
NOCO power pack jump starters are said to be good. NoCo May be worth a look ;)
I was looking at them but got a deal on a Trakpow which I prefer because you can disconnect the jump leads and you are left with a power pack that can be used to charge phones etc. My one is charged via usb but sorry don't know out the one you looking at.

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
If your battery is totally flat and has been for a while I would consider a new battery instead.
The power pack may well start the van but if the battery has failed it will need the power pack every time.
Dead batteries calcify in a short time and won't hold a charge for long.
I had a mate that did this with his car . Kept using the jump pack like he was some kind of genius because he didn’t have to get a new battery . What a lot of stress to have to start the car like that every time , rather than just get a new battery .That said , the power jump packs are still worth having as a bit of emergency kit 👍🏻

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
The question I'm asking is ; .... How is the power pack itself charged ? Neither the advert or reviews have given me the answer.
The specifications say: Type C In & Out: 18W
Also: Input 5V/3A (Type C)
That means it needs a USB-C supply. The plug is NOT the same as a micro-USB.
It will work from a standard USB socket, using a cable with a standard USB 'Type A' plug on one end, and a USB-C plug on the other end. But charging may be very slow depending on how up-to-date the socket is.

I would buy a USB-C charger 'with PD', capable of at least 18W. You can get a cigarette-lighter-plug USB-C charger, and/or a mains USB-C charger. Cables with USB-C plugs on both ends are readily available.

For example
<Broken link removed>

PD means Power Delivery. 18W is fairly modest, and enough for this job. If you really want to, you can buy PD adapters that deliver up to 100W from a single USB-C socket - for charging a laptop for example. These will work fine when only 18W is required, but are unnecessarily expensive if you don't need the full power.

Last edited:

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
The specifications say: Type C In & Out: 18W
Also: Input 5V/3A (Type C)
That means it needs a USB-C supply. The plug is NOT the same as a micro-USB.
It will work from a standard USB socket, using a cable with a standard USB 'Type A' plug on one end, and a USB-C plug on the other end. But charging may be very slow depending on how up-to-date the socket is.

I would buy a USB-C charger 'with PD', capable of at least 18W. You can get a cigarette-lighter-plug USB-C charger, and/or a mains USB-C charger. Cables with USB-C plugs on both ends are readily available.

For example
<Broken link removed>

PD means Power Delivery. 18W is fairly modest, and enough for this job. If you really want to, you can buy PD adapters that deliver up to 100W from a single USB-C socket - for charging a laptop for example. These will work fine when only 18W is required, but are unnecessarily expensive if you don't need the full power.
Won’t the correct type of usb charger come with the starter then ?

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
I like the sound of these small Jump starters, they could be very useful in certain flat starter battery situations, that there is no denying.
However, one thing that would concern me now having learnt about Ducato's is that if I had tried to start the engine only to discover the battery was flat, in doing so have I fried my Airbag ECU?:eek:
If so that's a load of hassle in taking it out, wrapping it and sending it off to Crash Data Engineering to get it fixed, plus minimum of ÂŁ70 for the privilege.

Others with experience of airbag ecu's being fried in these situations will, hopefully help address my concerns of being a potential problem or not.
Will using the jump starter packs have any bearing on the vans ECU's in general?
Is it purely luck of the draw, happens sometimes, doesn't happen others?:unsure: That's the impression that I have been left with reading threads on this problem.
Hopefully I am over thinking this as being a potential problem.
Thanks.
LES

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back