Apr 30, 2018
Mid Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670DC
Exp
Motorhoming since 2018.
Hi

I'm just about to order a set of jump leads to keep in the MH (no other reason then as a contingency should the inevitable happen to either myself or someone else who finds themselves with a flat battery). noticed there are a number of options 200 - 1000amps and 3 - 8meters long. I'm looking for a good advice ref amps, length and manufacture. preferably the lighter weight the better, please. Might be something I purchase and never use, but seems to be a vital part of a lot of fellow funsters tool kit.

Thanks

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
Why not consider something like a NOCO Boost unit, the thinking mans jump leads?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Santa brought me a set for Christmas.
MP353. 500A
4metres. Copper.
Says suitable for “mechanics and light commercial use”
Maypole Ltd,Birmingham.
Longer may be better,but at least my battery is very accessible.
Hope I (and you) never need them,but I’m a “just in case” sort of a cove.

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
Jump leads have many more uses.
Can a booster unit double up as a temporary earth for instance.

Can't disagree with you there, in an ideal world where weight isn't an issue I'd have both jump leads & (heavier duty the better) a jump start box, jump leads cannot charge a phone lol.

OP
OP
DerryW
Apr 30, 2018
Mid Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670DC
Exp
Motorhoming since 2018.
Why not consider something like a NOCO Boost unit, the thinking mans jump leads?
Just had a look at NOCO Boost GB30 Genius boost on you tube, very impressive. I suppose the biggest benefit is you're not reliant on another vehicle.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
I have 5m jump leads never go anywhere without them only used them abut fore times in seven years to jump other cars and vans and one time on my van when I left the lights on
Bill

Mar 30, 2019
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Trigano Tribute
Exp
Since 2017
Bought some after the car battery died, luckily we had some at work at the time.
Hope to never need them myself.
You won’t ever need 1000amp jump leads if they even exist, the cables would be as big as your thumb surely.
Got our lorries started no problem with the 500amp ones

RobWid

Free Member
Sep 25, 2018
Exmouth (at the mo?)
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2018

Just bought a Noco unit after having a series of electrical issue (now sorted). Bought the one that’s rated for 6ltr petrol and 3ltr diesel and despite being a tiny unit started my 2.2 hdi no problem. Vehicle battery too low to start but not flat but it didn’t seem to have drawn much charge from the NOCO. Love I can also use it to charge other USB devices and it recharges from USB so ok off my leisure/solar. Also a wonderful light. So my thoughts are why keep my jump leads - probably because I’m a belt and braces person! But would I buy jump leads again ?

rob

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Just had a look at NOCO Boost GB30 Genius boost on you tube, very impressive. I suppose the biggest benefit is you're not reliant on another vehicle.
You aren't reliant on another vehicle anyway......you have a leisure battery.
American motorhomes are even wired, with a switch in the van, to use the leisure battery in an emergency.

Campervan_man

Free Member
Jun 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus
Exp
Fit a Dual Solar Charge Controller to charge your engine battery as well ?

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I bought 8m jump leads so I could reach my leisure battery, they reach but the battery is too close to top of enclosure to get clips on ? would have had to remove the battery to use as jump

now bought a NOCO unit ? also makes an awesome juice box when out and about ? keeps any USB device charged if you remember the lead ?

GSD

Free Member
Dec 31, 2016
North Scotland
Funster No
MH
Fifer Touring "M" 2017 E6
Exp
10 years +
I'm with those who favour a Jump Start Pack.

That's what rescue companies such as the RAC use nowadays. Just make sure it has sufficient capacity for a diesel engine.
They take up much less space and weight (bearing in mind that proper heavy duty copper cables are heavy) and they work without needing to involve a third party.

OK I appreciate that you could connect to the leisure battery if the cables are long enough and/or the relative position of the batteries allows. Using a JSP is less faff and also eliminates the danger of damaging the slave battery. You have to keep it charged of course but that is easy.

I used to carry heavy duty jump leads and they have rescued a couple of other people but my JSP can do that as well.
My unit was bought from Costco for about £70. Good HD Leads are around £40.

Incidentally there is a view that Jump Starting any battery in a modern engine runs the risk of the started (as opposed to the donor or slave) battery being damaged, or even killed if it is an old battery, by the very high charge which a modern alternator will impose on a flat battery. At any rate it is likely to shorten battery life so care should be taken if at all possible to avoid the neeed to jump start in the first place.

I know this is not easy if your vehicle is stored off hook up especially if it is also alarmed but a good solar panel setup configured to charge the vehicle battery is a possible solution

jumpstart.jpeg
Jumpstart 2.jpeg

Aug 31, 2019
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur.
Exp
Since 2019
I have the 6in1 jump starter pack, it has the jump start, air pump for tyres a light for when it's dark and a usb for charging phones, you have to charge it every 3 months or if you have had to use.

Dave

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
Go for the chunky copper cored ones but do a trial run and make sure you can actually get the clips/clamps onto your positive pole of battery as can be quite tight with the bigger crocodile clips.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
I think if you install a good battery monitor you know your battery is getting discharged well before having to use jump leads. By the time you need jump leads the battery may be damaged beyond repair.

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
I believe those jump start packs will help with a partially flat battery, just do not see it starting a battery that is too low to pull in the start relay.

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
I have the 6in1 jump starter pack, it has the jump start, air pump for tyres a light for when it's dark and a usb for charging phones, you have to charge it every 3 months or if you have had to use.

Dave
And there’s the rub. “You have to keep it charged up”
And a lot of people don’t,so quite a lot become useless.
OK though for those “on the ball”

Mar 30, 2019
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Trigano Tribute
Exp
Since 2017
There is one advantage to using leads over those jump packs if you can’t get the dead vehicle to start after a few goes the jump pack might discharge too much to be useful.

One tip that has helped a few times especially in the winter is to turn on the headlights for a minute or two before attempting to start the vehicle, this warms up the battery which can increase the current flow.

Mar 30, 2019
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Trigano Tribute
Exp
Since 2017
I’ve always left the 2 vehicles connected for at least 5 mins before jump starting, actually usually longer so it looks like I’ve been doing the right thing.
I’m not surprised those jump packs are not recommended,

Apache

Free Member
Jun 22, 2014
Rotherham
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
5 Years
Just bought a Noco unit after having a series of electrical issue (now sorted). Bought the one that’s rated for 6ltr petrol and 3ltr diesel and despite being a tiny unit started my 2.2 hdi no problem. Vehicle battery too low to start but not flat but it didn’t seem to have drawn much charge from the NOCO. Love I can also use it to charge other USB devices and it recharges from USB so ok off my leisure/solar. Also a wonderful light. So my thoughts are why keep my jump leads - probably because I’m a belt and braces person! But would I buy jump leads again ?

rob
That’s the one I bought to start ours. Even after a long mains charge ( overnight ) it didn’t do anything at all !
I now wonder if it’s the old earth lead problem although she starts fine now after a few runs out and EHU at home. Maybe my failure to start with the Noco was operator error ?

RobWid

Free Member
Sep 25, 2018
Exmouth (at the mo?)
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2018
That’s the one I bought to start ours. Even after a long mains charge ( overnight ) it didn’t do anything at all !
I now wonder if it’s the old earth lead problem although she starts fine now after a few runs out and EHU at home. Maybe my failure to start with the Noco was operator error ?

Mine didn’t work first time until I watched a Utube video and realised it needed to be off until connected and then given time to assess the battery. But in my case it turned out not to be a battery fault.

I have shared my own struggles on another thread which ended up as fuel issues - injector and high pressure fuel pump. Everyone said that because it started with a jump start it had to be electrical including a mobile mechanic, garage and auto electrician. So I bought the Noco, a new battery, replaced glowplugs and their relay and replaced all the earth leads and even added an additional one and had it checked for a battery drain.

But it turned out to be air leaks and in effect fuel pressure which meant it needed a really good turn over and anything other than peak battery performance meant no start. Now the injectors and high pressure fuel pump have been refurbished it starts first time regardless of the weather.

Some parts of the other work was needed so not totally wasted though.

So just be open minded about any faults and good luck.

Apache

Free Member
Jun 22, 2014
Rotherham
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
5 Years
Ours did start on a jump and then after being on hook up has never missed since. Interesting to know about the Noco needing time to assess the battery, I will bear that in mind when it happens again

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back