JULY CMC Magazine "Caring for You page10" (1 Viewer)

Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
Having been away for the last month while catching up on the post and Magazines I came upon page 10 of the all gripping CMC July issue. They have outlined the H and S guidelines or rules for pitching requirements and even given plans with measurements of where you should be positioned with your MH , car/trailer and awing.
My immediate thought was "You couldn't make it up" having not seen it.
While away in the 'Big Outdoors' the Campers have roaring log fires in the fire pits around the pitches in wooded areas.
No doubt Grenville would have coronary arrest!

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
Guess what we have just cancelled our membership after 23 years

we no longer have a caravan so no longer use their insurance
We found better travel insurance than Red Pennant
Not used a Club site for years too expensive to regimented no enough facilities for the money
Not used a CL in ten years

but we did get that magazine and yes I did laugh/cry/ moan about that article just about summed up why we left

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
I am sure I would enjoy the article if it was available but like one or two others, having only used the club only twice in ten years, we left last year to save our money and missed the pleasure of reading it.

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
I am sure I would enjoy the article if it was available but like one or two others, having only used the club only twice in ten years, we left last year to save our money and missed the pleasure of reading it.
Same here.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
Here in Portugal,you would not be having Roaring log fires in Fire pits on pitches in wooded areas in the summer full stop.
As regards the measurements,there has allways been a minimum distance requirement,long before H@S came along,doubtless these were introduced as part of. "Lessons being learned". Down the years.
You did the right thing in leaving the club,freedom of choice,nobody holds a gun to your head to get you to join.
Tea Bag. Member of "Both Clubs"(y)

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
One thing for sure the so called CMC don't have any regard for there members we were touring Scotland a few years ago and decided we would hopefully stay on one of the club sites, we pulled up and asked any pitches, they were full, so we said no problem our fault for not pre booking.
We thought no problem we will wild camp, but we were very low on water, so we asked if we could have a small top up of water. NO we were told our policy not to give it if your not on site, I said we had been members for years and were willing to pay for the water, as we could manage with just a small top up. We were again told no and turned away. After being members for many years, thought if that's how you treat members when they ask for help it's not a club I want to be part of so we cancelled our membership.

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
I think they call it etiquete it goes back to the fifties and they can't seem to shake it orf old boy:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

Reactions: Pia
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Guess what we have just cancelled our membership after 23 years

we no longer have a caravan so no longer use their insurance
We found better travel insurance than Red Pennant

Where did you get your travel insurance?

Having used Red Pennant, following a bad accident, we found it superb. If you have found a better one please let us know the details. Red Pennant is the only reason we are still paying annual fees to the "Motorhome and and Caravan Club"(y)

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Where did you get your travel insurance?

Having used Red Pennant, following a bad accident, we found it superb. If you have found a better one please let us know the details. Red Pennant is the only reason we are still paying annual fees to the "Motorhome and and Caravan Club"(y)
We use Safeguard - insurance and European breakdown cover which we've used twice and both times its been brilliant.

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Edit - that is of course motorhome insurance and not travel insurance (note to self - always read the post fully before answering....) but I'de still give a shout out for Safeguard! (y)

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
a small top up of water. NO we were told our policy not to give it if your not on site...........if that's how you treat members when they ask for help it's not a club I want to be part of so we cancelled our membership.

I remember the thread well Carol and it stopped me from ever going near the club and I'll bet we were not the only ones either.

Griff

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
We joined CMC for the first time at the Peterborough show and then used two sites in Norfolk in May (Norfolk Broads near Wroxham & Seacroft in Cromer) and both had friendly helpful wardens.
We are staying at their Rosedale site in August, so hopefully 3 out of 3.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I find the CMC wardens far less objectionable than some of the members. I think their HO keeps a tight control over staff and initiative is outlawed. Far too much propaganda in the magazine, you have little idea what's really going on.
I do question why I still pay the fees...

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
We joined CMC for the first time at the Peterborough show and then used two sites in Norfolk in May (Norfolk Broads near Wroxham & Seacroft in Cromer) and both had friendly helpful wardens.
We are staying at their Rosedale site in August, so hopefully 3 out of 3.
Hi.
Stopped at Rosedale site a few years back,magic.
If you or anyone has a growler,there is a lovely fields walk. Turn left out of the site,cross the road and walk up past a villagy bit,past a pub with a nice lawn outside eating area and you will come to a finger post at the side of a house on your right,walk up alongside the house,go through a five bar gate and away you go,it follows a stream..'ish,at least 3 fields,maybe more. Enjoy.
The wardens then were ?.Salt of the earth couple,let it run itself more or less,proper. We did the train trip to Whitby from Pickering?,Fish and chips,a walk along the coast with the growler..... Do it!
Tea Bag

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
We stayed just up the road at the Holiday Property Bond cottages a few years back and did the steam train to Whitby and had fish and chips at the famous Magpie cafe.
Queued for half an hour to get a table, was royally ripped off with the price and had food poisoning for 3 days, luckily we got back to the digs before I started exploding both ends.

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
I like how unbiased their reports are (as long as you are a Bailey caravan owner that tows it with a Land Rover Discovery ..... ) :rofl:

Feb 9, 2015
Warrington
Funster No
MH
IH Oregon R
Exp
This should be their signs
FB_IMG_1499179113002.jpg

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
@maison - check out EHIC Plus for travel insurance ... we pay around £46 a year for annual cover for us both for up to 45 days away at a time.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
@maison - check out EHIC Plus for travel insurance ... we pay around £46 a year for annual cover for us both for up to 45 days away at a time.
Thanks.(y)

I have heard of them but never followed through on checking. Our annual insurance is current until next March, but I will check them out on renewal.

We are at "that age" where medical insurance becomes much more expensive.:(

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Given a choice, and I do have a choice, I would rather belong to a group, club, call it what you will, where I can speak to, moan at or enjoy the company of an owner, creator, leader. Anything but be ruled by a committee.
I have nothing against caravans but they do seem to have different priorities to Motorhomes. They seem more inclined to arrive somewhere and stay, whereas Motorhomes may be more inclined to independent travel and move on after a shorter stay.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Apologies in advance for a Looooong Post!. Following the recent "safari" to deepest darkest Scotland. I had reason to communicate with the aforementioned C&MC. as follows:-

Dear Sir's.

Reading the July copy of the newly reconfigured "Caravan and MOTORHOME Magazine", prompts me to take issue with some of what was written in the article on page 10, under the title of "caring for you". Bearing in mind that the name of the club has been Changed "To better reflect the pattern of Membership and increased use of the Clubs facilities by MOTORHOMES". I would wish to state that this has not been my experience, based on a recent visit.

Staying on a Club site recently, I had extreme difficulty obtaining an acceptable level for my MOTORHOME on one of the few "nearly level open pitches" that where not rain soaked. Having eventually elected to place the MOTORHOME At right angles to the marker, I did find a satisfactory level which did not require raising the door of the vehicle beyond the height my disabled wife can manage. Having achieved this, I proceeded to erect the (porch) awning to protect the said entry. As this operation was nearing completion the site assistant came by on his "Chariot", with the immortal words "you cannot park it like that". Having asked in a level voice as to why?, I was informed that it was "NOT within the rules". This led to a prolonged "discussion" as to what I was expected to do when all the other "suitable" pitches where taken?. And to which the only reply was to the effect that there where other pitches. (ALL under trees, in the gloom and a wet environment, and with more rain expected, not conducive to a restful stay!).

After a long discussion with said site assistants superior, I was persuaded for the furtherance of harmony to try another pitch, not before we having by that time proven to the gentleman that despite all his best efforts with timber and level blocks, the ONLY way it would level where it was, WAS at right angle to the "Normal". We finally managed to get a compromise level on this "new" pitch which was noticeably low in both planes but did mean my wife was not climbing a hill to access the MOTORHOME. To be then told that as this was a "non awning" pitch I could not deploy the (small) awning!. I would state that at this point had an alternative Campsite been available locally, I would have left and would have expected a FULL refund!.

The point I would make is that Wardens are allegedly being left with the (mistaken?) impression that they are unable to give leeway and flexibility. However (page 273, 2015/16) the Club site rules appears to suggest just the opposite in (4b) "site staff will advise where outfit should go in relation to pitch marker, "if you wish to park any other way please ask site staff" (implies an alternative?). I appreciate that (4b), does ask for a 6 M distance between outfits facing walls However in this instance the distance from the front of my MOTORHOME to the EDGE of the next pitch itself was a full 6 paces, never mind to any part of another outfit!, and well in excess of the 3m requirement in any direction!, as illustrated on page 11 of the magazine, all of which I note are based around the use by caravans and not MOTORHOMES.

I feel that "caring for ME" did not happen on this occasion. And I would definitely avoid using the Site again, as it is in no way suited for MOTORHOMES, unless you are "lucky" enough to find one of the few level sites free!. In my case I had a Level but was "persuaded" to move to a less satisfactory location, by an insistence on "THE RULES". To be fair to the warden, he himself remarked that they where having great difficulty with MOTORHOMES on that site, caravans being easier to level. But that to me is no excuse, all it needs is some leeway with regard to pitching orientation!, Not "rocket science" in my view?.

Incidentally I have photographs of the location(s) and note that in the background at least 2 caravans are parked "nose" in (to the "peg") and in event of an incident would have had to be turned 180 degrees before they could be hitched up, Unlike my "wrongly" parked MOTORHOME which would have driven off the pitch onto the road no less quickly than had it been "parked correctly"!!!.

By comparison, during our recent journeying we have used sites managed by the Caravan and Camping Club, where the ethos and regulation appear more oriented towards the "Member" and not the "Rules", and where "orientation" was less rigidly observed as long as safety was uncompromised!.

In conclusion. I feel that with hindsight, I should have ignored the Warden(s) and left the MOTORHOME parked where it originally was. It was safely parked and out-with the 6M "boundary" thereby causing no risk. The Club have a lot of work to do before they can say they are truly representing those who choose to buy and use MOTORHOMES. I am incidentally, someone who started with Caravans and is a 40+year member, with many years experience of Marshalling and Parking at Rallies and Festivals.

Yours. Pete

Reply:-

Dear Mr.Pete

Thank you for contacting the Caravan and Motorhome Club.

I do apologise for the negative impression you received at the Site.

I have forwarded this to the Regional Officer who deals with this site. She will be responding to you directly in due course.

They do ask for up to 20 working days in which to reply.

Thank you for your patience at this time.

Regards,

Alastair
Web Contact Team
THE CARAVAN AND MOTORHOME CLUB

I am afraid you have misunderstood, My intention was not a intended as a criticism of the SITE itself nor of it`s Managers which is in my opinion still suited to most use by Caravans.

My issue is with the ETHOS of the Club, which whilst positioning itself as being “MOTORHOME friendly” It in my view failing in that regard by not ensuring that the site managers (the boots on the ground) are actually aware that more flexibility is required in the management of MOTORHOME siteing arrangements. Which was why I made NO mention of which site was involved in my communication.

Since drafting the missive, it has been brought to my attention that there are indeed other members who have similar issues with how their MOTORHOME is handled, as opposed to the relative ease with caravan's are managed.

Which to me, only highlight's the fact the Club has some way to go in it`s approach yet. And, by the way, is falling behind the “competition” in this regard.

Hi Pete

Thank you for your reply.

I understand from the below that the reason why my colleague passed your email to the Regional Officer is because you were unhappy with the way the warden dealt with your situation. With the variety of outfits that we have on our sites, we do understand that there has to be an element of flexibility in the way that we ask you to pitch, as long as there is the space between outfits which you felt that there was. Motorhomers have been a part of the Club for decades so this is not an issue that is new to us, or indeed one exclusive to Motorhome owners.

The Regional Officer will get back to you regarding the discussion with the warden and the fact that it made you feel like you would prefer to leave the site. There may be points that would need to be passed on to all of our sites, in which case this would be fed back.

I hope that this answers your concerns.

Hi

Please be aware that, In my View, the site personnel. whilst offering as much assistance as they felt able. Felt constrained by the “RULES”, rather than anything. It is my view that all Site officers and assistants should be made aware that the “Rules” are for guidance ONLY and not the “be all and end all” to be rigidly applied. In the case I have outlined 1) The MOTORHOME was within the pitching area. 2) Within the 6M “protection” distance.

The Caravan Club, has in my view got to look again at the “Special needs” of Motorhomes, and, as on this site where level pitches are at a premium and a Motorhome is booked, ensure that LEVEL (in both planes) pitches are held back for their use. I appreciate the this is generally counter to the previous approach but until ALL pitches on ALL sites can be levelled to to an acceptable standard, folk, such as my wife, with her mobility issues, (the reason we have a Motorhome) are going to continue to be adversely affected. and their enjoyment diminished.

I currently Await their response.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
We stayed just up the road at the Holiday Property Bond cottages a few years back and did the steam train to Whitby and had fish and chips at the famous Magpie cafe.
Queued for half an hour to get a table, was royally ripped off with the price and had food poisoning for 3 days, luckily we got back to the digs before I started exploding both ends.
Sorry to hear about your experience at the Magpie.

Are you a 'Bondie'? We invested three-and-half years ago and currently staying at Physkos, in Turkey. Only have one more to go - Javea - then we will have tried out all locations in the UK and abroad.

Stayed at Bell End Farm earlier in the year. Often mix and match with the van and HPB - works well for us. Took the van to Alfaix in Almeria a couple of years ago. Likewise the sites in France, Austria and Scotland.

Mike

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Have had helpful employees and thse not so helpul, in one case husband and wife at same site. He was great she was, to be honest, a liar, no other word to describe it. Still waiting for feed back from my 'satisfaction' survey.
Was thankful to them though when we holidayed in Scotland early this year, our gas failed so our non site visit was changed, at the time, in the area we were in with one exception only CMC sites were open, so we were happy or should i say forced to use them. no complaints about sites or van siting. We arrived in brilliant sunshine at one club, but heavy rain was forcast, pitches which were liable to have standing water were marked out for us to avoid.
My main reasons for using are the per person fees for when travelling solo and also the 5 van sites. they also provided the best home and health insurance for us last year, although you don't need to be a member it is cheaper if you are, get our club fees back from the savings we make going to york site.

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
Crikey!! it would drive me to madness dealing with jobsworths like that.. thank god I have absolutely no need or interest in 'clubs' like that..

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Crikey!! it would drive me to madness dealing with jobsworths like that.. thank god I have absolutely no need or interest in 'clubs' like that..

The point is Les, that in my now 40+ years of Membership, I have never known the current level of "officiousness" that is current. There are those out there who think ONLY that Caravans should be catered for, and the "we" as a relative minority should be grateful to be allowed to use sites at all!. It got worse (for me) when I had the R-V`s. For YEARS I had been parking up BIG twin axle Caravans of the sites system and knew Exactly which pitches could be used. This would lead to some "Interesting Discussions" with some Wardens when the teams changed, as they do, and a "new" Warden was disinclined to listen to the voice of experience!. All it needs is a flexible approach!. Not Rocket Science!.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
Hi.
Any funster who has stayed "Only Oncccce :ROFLMAO:" on the CMC site at Plymouth sound,could have been there when a warden was running around making some "Units" As in c/vans and m/ho's move as they were a foot out of line.This was about four years ago approx. We were there2015 'ish,the warden this time,was barrowing wooden chocks down to a pitch up against the fence at the bottom of the site,so a "Unit",could park up and be level.
So,it is not the Club you need to blame,more the individual warden,so who else can we talk about.
Public servants,some go the extra mile,but... ? Once upon a time,you could tax your unit at a little office just off Matlock Green.Office opened at 09.00 hrs,three staff,two sat at desks and one stood,chatting away,at about 09.08hrs i asked if i could get the road tax and be on my way.Answer. " We will serve you at 0915hrs,09.00-09.15,we deal with post". After chatting away,with not a hint of any mail,i was served at 09.15....
Some people involved in road haulage are enough to make a shepherd interfere with his dog!:oops:
St. Tea Bag

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back