Juddering when in reverse (1 Viewer)

Apr 23, 2008
chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
Swift BESSACAR 597
Exp
Hi All

we have a lunar roadstar 780tsb 2.8 diesel engine, and when we reverse up the gearbox judders, anyone else out there had any trouble with this?

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi All

we have a lunar roadstar 780tsb 2.8 diesel engine, and when we reverse up the gearbox judders, anyone else out there had any trouble with this?

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: you and about 3,000 others :Eeek::Doh::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
terry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi,

I am not sure the 2.8 engine is part of the Fiat Judderish problem, I thought they dropped the 2.8 from the new ? Fiat line up that is supposed to be affected by the reversing problem.

If I am correct and you are new to the vehicle it could just be Driving technique or if it has developed over a period then perhaps a mechanical fault, something like engine mounts etc, I am sure one of our resident mechanics can suggest a number of cures.

Hope that helps

Hi All

Last edited:

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
I have a 2005 2.8 780tsb and have no such problem. I have to reverse up a slope to park at home and the vehicle behaves peferctly.

As previous poster says the judder problem is with the new Fiat cab.

Just had a look at your post from early 2008. You said that the van was new in 2008 which must be the new version Fiat and therefore will not be 2.8ltr must be 3.0 as I don't think Lunar offered the 780 with 2.3 engine

Last edited:

dshague

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
20 years
its the 2007 onwards 6 speed gear box :Doh:

OP
OP
RollingRog
Apr 23, 2008
chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
Swift BESSACAR 597
Exp
I have a 2005 2.8 780tsb and have no such problem. I have to reverse up a slope to park at home and the vehicle behaves peferctly.

Just had a look at your post from early 2008. You said that the van was new in 2008 which must be the new version Fiat and therefore will not be 2.8ltr must be 3.0 as I don't think Lunar offered the 780 with 2.3 engine

Yes my mistake its a 3lt.

ginge61

Free Member
Oct 29, 2007
n/wales
Funster No
MH
c class/t25 vw
Exp
since noah was a lad lol
FIAT stands for[ fix it again 2moro ] or [fix it again tony]:ROFLMAO:

Oscarmax

Free Member
Oct 22, 2008
Funster No
MH
Coach
Exp
may 2008
My Autotrail cheynne 660 2008 2.3 litre vibrates in reverse, I do not need the services of a steep hill, a smooth flat surface will do fine.

As regards a repair, dont hold your breath, Fiat have been giving all of us the run around for over a year :ROFLMAO:

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
I read recently that Fiat have now acknowledged that there is a problem and are trying to work a way out of sorting the problem by recalling vehicles with the problem. Logistically a nightmare I would suggest. Anyone with the problem should contact their supplier and register a complaint to at least get in the system.
regards, Dave:thumb:

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
There is an article about it in February's MMM, if you have the problem you must register your complaint with Fiat customer services Tel: 00800 3428 000

beemerboy

Free Member
May 22, 2009
wemyss bay(where?)
Funster No
MH
roller team
Exp
gearbox judder

an artical appeared in the april issue of Practical Motorhome seems the reverse gear ratio is not by the sound of the article vehicles are being recalled ducato/boxer
you may all know this already still mif you didnt you do now:Smile:

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
Trust no one REPORT IT. Fiat seem to be more reactive than pro active.
They are hoping we will all go away.

david price

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Bridgenorth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
5 years
Clutch went on mine among other things,just under 11000 miles and 2 years.Been without it now for about 10 weeks and still arguing with fiat.Puegot seem to be the only one with a satisfactory fix,fiat just trying to bodge it and are reluctant to admit there is a fault.
If they say they will ring you back dont wait for the call.
dave

Dec 30, 2008
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since Dec 2008 after 10 years caravanning
Good news from Fiat. Or is it ?

2007 ducato (suntor) 8600 miles, reported reverse problem to fiat january 09, was given a case no, then a letter of confirmation followed stating i would be contacted again in march, recieved phone call yesterday 1st june asking me to nominate a convenient dealership for modification work,once we agreed on the dealer, I was told I will be contacted by said dealer to arrange a date for work to be carried out, just what mods will be done I dont know but will keep you all informed.:Smile:

Eric

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
There clearly is a widespread problem here but it does not affect ALL vans. I have a 3 ltr peugeot, the second such van, and both have been absolutely fine. My dealer reckons the problem does not affect the 3 ltr (although I know some dispute this).

david price

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Bridgenorth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
5 years
There clearly is a widespread problem here but it does not affect ALL vans. I have a 3 ltr peugeot, the second such van, and both have been absolutely fine. My dealer reckons the problem does not affect the 3 ltr (although I know some dispute this).

I dont dispute this at all,i know it for a fact.
Dave

Dec 30, 2008
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since Dec 2008 after 10 years caravanning
Ive had the call

Hi folks, I was called today july 7th by fiat dealer who was nominated to carry out modification work on our MH. they said the parts were now instock and they can go ahead with work, I asked what the parts were and the lady said it was engine mountings, I said this had been tried on other vehicles and was unsuccessful as the problem is the gear ratio is too high,the lady said they have been told by fiat to do this work FIRST, and then test the vehicle. i will let you know the result.

Eric

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Hi folks, I was called today july 7th by fiat dealer who was nominated to carry out modification work on our MH. they said the parts were now instock and they can go ahead with work, I asked what the parts were and the lady said it was engine mountings, I said this had been tried on other vehicles and was unsuccessful as the problem is the gear ratio is too high,the lady said they have been told by fiat to do this work FIRST, and then test the vehicle. i will let you know the result.

Eric

you never know you could be the first that says it has made a difference but then again:Eeek:

Lunar Goldstar

Free Member
Apr 7, 2010
Sherborne
Funster No
MH
Lunar 640 Goldstar
Exp
Recently Retired - Absolute Begineer!
Are you still a Lunar Owner?

Hi,
Recently exchanged our Calder KountryLite 5th wheeler for a Lunar 640 Goldstar. Are you still a Lunar owner please?

dennis

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi,
Recently exchanged our Calder KountryLite 5th wheeler for a Lunar 640 Goldstar. Are you still a Lunar owner please?

dennis
Lunarman possibly wont see this post due to the thread being 5 years old.

he does have a 2006 Lunar Roadstar 786.

maybe a PM would be in order if you need some info off him :thumb:

find any post by lunarman, click on his name then select contact info from the dropdown box...select 'send a private message'

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back