JP Combi Diesel & Hot Water Heater (Chinese Truma?) (1 Viewer)

Hotpot

Free Member
Sep 16, 2020
Sunny Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Camper Van
Exp
I am new to this forum so if anything I have posted below isn’t allowed just say and I will remove it.

JP Combi Diesel Hot Air and Water Heater (Truma Copy?): I was wondering, has anyone in this forum tried one or even seen one of these units? I searched for anyone in the UK that had installed one. I couldn’t find anyone but I did see some very good reviews from Australia. To cut a long story short I took the plunge and bought one. Maybe the following information may be of use to others in this forum.

I know some Chinese suppliers don’t get good reviews but I have to say this looks to be a very well made unit. So far its working great, but I have to be fair and say I haven’t tried it for very long (about 5 weeks). It provides excellent heating, bags of hot water and is surprisingly quiet. I’ve connected it directly to my diesel tank, I am diesel and electric throughout and don’t use any LPG.

I have a lot of images showing the installation perhaps too many images to go on here. I have documented the build on a website (the site isn't finished yet), btw, I don’t make a penny from the site and none of the items are sponsored, it’s purely for my own use and anyone that wants help.

Parts appear to be compatible (maybe identical) with the Truma. No doubt you would invalidate the Truma warranty but if anyone has a heater out of warranty that needs parts then it may be worth finding out more.

Here are a couple of links if anyone wants to know more about the Diesel Combi Heater.
Unfinished Website: of my Peugeot Boxer camper-van build
www.diyvan.co.uk

JP Combi Heater Installation:

Installing the Fuel Line to the Diesel Tank.

IMG_2657.JPEG

IMG_0690.JPEG

Agirl

Free Member
Sep 18, 2021
Funster No
MH
Do not own one yet
(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Looks like he signed up just to get traffic to his website then never came back. unlikely to get an answer I don't think sadly.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Ah. Annoying!
but at least anyone can still access his links and see his installation, which seems to be pretty informative and useful information .....

RogerIvy did you do a youtube video on your install of your JP heater, after the unboxing one? i like the other videos from both you and your son related to batteries etc and have followed the advice on a few occasions where appropriate. The one where you used a piece of 2.5mm cable (insulation removed at appropriate points) was the subject of lots of ooohhs and aahhhs on different sites as some people thought it was in lieu of proper busbars when the battery was assembled !! i also bought the 'top balancer' your son recommended - which has worked flawlessly (prior to assembling my Seplos 280L 14,3kw battery - another one ready to go when i get chance!)

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2007
Wantage, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Motorhoming since 2006, 30 years tent camping in Africa
but at least anyone can still access his links and see his installation, which seems to be pretty informative and useful information .....

RogerIvy did you do a youtube video on your install of your JP heater, after the unboxing one? i like the other videos from both you and your son related to batteries etc and have followed the advice on a few occasions where appropriate. The one where you used a piece of 2.5mm cable (insulation removed at appropriate points) was the subject of lots of ooohhs and aahhhs on different sites as some people thought it was in lieu of proper busbars when the battery was assembled !! i also bought the 'top balancer' your son recommended - which has worked flawlessly (prior to assembling my Seplos 280L 14,3kw battery - another one ready to go when i get chance!)
Below are the three YTs we’ve done so far.
After a few months we’re going to release a comprehensive review of it in action.
In between we’ve asked JP a number of questions. I have to say I’m hugely impressed with their customer service so far. Way better than Truma.

Unboxing

Preparing to install

Installing

It‘s hilarious some people thought that the thin wire was in place of busbars 🤣 … even though we explained.
Ah well - gone are the “Good Old Days” of Daly BMSs that required cells to be top-balanced. JBD and JK are so nice to work with.

Sep 29, 2007
Wantage, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Based on the success of the first one we decided to buy a 2nd JP Combi to install into Nigel’s motorhome. We have to drive increasingly long distances for LPG as the local one is always out of order.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
Based on the success of the first one we decided to buy a 2nd JP Combi to install into Nigel’s motorhome. We have to drive increasingly long distances for LPG as the local one is always out of order.
It's something I would now consider as a replacement as repair costs are very expensive for the Truma if I ever needed to. Thanks for the updates

Re the top balancing, I still need to do it for my other Seplos 280L which is still sat there waiting patiently in boxes! It has the V2 BMS same as my original

Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
So if you are currently on LPG it's going to be very expensive swapping over to this system if you also have to change the fridge. But what about the cooker and oven ? What powers them?

Sep 29, 2007
Wantage, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
So if you are currently on LPG it's going to be very expensive swapping over to this system if you also have to change the fridge. But what about the cooker and oven ? What powers them?
By far the biggest consumer of LPG in my motorhome was the heater (in Winter of course, Summer was a different story), followed by the fridge.
I my case I already changed to a compressor fridge as my old 3-way hardly called down after the Romanian roads.
So now all I use LPG for is the hob and external BBQ, I'm guessing I'll be filling the tank every two years or so.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
i agree with your comment, however i would only be considering fitting one as a replacement IF i had an issue with my Truma - i have heard of VERY expensive repairs being sometimes needed ....

as for some who may wish to spend their hard earned as a matter of convenience - ie no local LPG or to reduce reliance on it, then that is no different to lots of things that are bought for motorhomes, caravans etc, whether on the initial purpose (list of toys you add from new or ones that a previous owner added/had added) or as an 'add on/must have/really need' upgrade further down the line !

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back