John Cross Motor Homes TEN points Marquis ZERO - Delaware SOLD (1 Viewer)

Aug 21, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
A/T Impala 615
Exp
I'm a slightly less experienced newbie and still learning
Thought I would like to make other Funsters aware of my experience.

Forced out of my 2016 fully loaded (2500 miles, Auto box, 3 litre, Media 3 sat system, leather, aircon). Autotrail Delaware by DVLA owing to unanticipated age 70 license renewal problem.

Desperate to put this behind me I sort to sell my pristine motor home at the trade price through Marquis Southampton the dealer from whom I bought it from 11 months ago.

As they are now owned by Trigano who are also owners of Autotrail and having also checked their website to find they had no Delawares across their used stock in all 10 branches. I felt it would probably be a formality that they would be interested.

This was originally the case but a week later I was advised that the big bosses say no!

John Cross was next on the list and immediately came to the rescue buying it at what my investigations determined to be the current trade price albeit at a very large loss to me, which I had expected.

Two other dealers I contacted as back up to John Cross also were willing to purchase it for a similar sum.

So once again Marquis fails to earn easily available Kudos by looking after their customers!

Whilst previously more than happy with Autotrail they are now also tarred with the same brush as their dealers must obviously lack confidence in their own product.

OP
OP
R
Aug 21, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
A/T Impala 615
Exp
I'm a slightly less experienced newbie and still learning
Scottie

The branch manager and the sales manager that I bought the moho from had both left in the 11 months I was an owner.

The current manager was at the NEC when he indicated that they would be interested but wished to deal with it after the show. Upon his return it was him who had to advise me that the big bosses were saying NO! as well as saying that they had had a good show.

He did say he would try again but I have not heard to date and it is to late now anyway.

I would have felt sorry for him but for my predicament

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Cannot see why this is the fault of the DVLA but it is horrible the OP can no longer keep his pride and joy. Perhaps Marquise already had enough or an excess of stock and simply didn't want to have more money tied up doing nothing, after all, they would not have any idea how long they would have it before out sold even thought its a desirable motorhome. Why should they take in more stock especially when it does not appear the OP was going trade in and buy something more suitable to his needs. Johns Cross may well have had a customer in mind or been looking for stock anyway, but great for the OP they bought it.

I am not defending Marquise, just putting a business point of view.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Marquis offered £25000 on a van we bought from them for £50000 a year earlier.
All their work on the warranty had to be redone and some work wasn't even started after booking it in for that particular work. We've got no time for them.

Jan 31, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
10 years +
I've dealt with Marquis at Preston for my last 2 vans and have found them very good.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Don't do dealers, but if you want to why doesn't everyone on here use john cross, he's on here , he's got to get it right or he's going to get slaughtered (y)

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
Lowdhams at Nottingham offered me "Half price" on a less than a year old Timberland Endeavour,so off down to Marquis N/hampton branch and got a cracking deal. Its the circle of life,the only sure thing in this world is that if you start to eat once you are born,your going to die sooner or later .. Have a nice day.
Tea Bag

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Just bought our new van from Marquis at Poole...

Seem to be a nice bunch... keep you in touch on what`s what, PDI, delivery date (Collection) etc...

Watch this space.... :whistle:

SandJ

Free Member
Sep 14, 2007
North Yorks
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Too long lol
We have had dealings with quite a few dealerships and found David-Fuller to be good on price as well as after sales, they don't sell new though.

cornish boy

Free Member
Jul 24, 2016
Body in Hampshire, heart in Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki 669.
Exp
not so newbie anymore - since 2016
Had an email this week from Marquis to remind me that about a small outstanding job on our Motorhome. Not many would have bothered as it is only cosmetic and unless you know it was there you would be unlikely to even notice it.

Personally we have had superb service from Marquis and have nothing but praise about the way the Chieveley branch have looked after us.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Personally I found Marquis at Newcastle unhelpful, and did a wasted journey down to Newcastle as they failed to inform me they can't do their testing of possible PX vans at weekends !!!
They do put you up overnight in their compound (or did) with EHU though.
Anyway very happy with what I got, and no purple sink either :Eeek:

Augusta08

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2015
Morbihan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Augusta
Exp
Since 2001
I've found Marquis to be totally untrustworthy. They fraudulently passed off a bankrupt stock Autocruise for a new Swift Motorhome to me in 2008. I ordered the MH on the Swift stand at the 2008 NEC, they gave me a build week about 10 weeks later. They then called and said "Your vehicle has arrived" I went to collect and despite my questioning some graphics changes and leisure batteries re-located, I was assured that the vehicle was what I ordered. I did question the change of lockers, but was told "the show van may have had some extras that I hadn't ordered". So I took the vehicle and booked it into my local Swift agent for a tracker to be installed, as my insurance company requested it. To be told, my van was NOT a Swift MH, I had no warranty and the upholstery had been swapped over to make it look like the latest Swift vehicle.

I threatened them with legal action, they admitted the fraud and we settled out of court.

Would I use Marquis again? No my next vehicle will be from JC.

Augusta08

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2015
Morbihan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Augusta
Exp
Since 2001
How can you turn an autocruise into a swift easily? I am perplexed at this post.

A good question I was just a simple punter looking at vans at the NEC in march 2008. I knew nothing of the history, but I was comparing fixed bed 2 singles vans with end bathrooms. I went onto the Swifts stand liked it and it fitted my layout requirements so I ordered one.

The order was taken by Marquis.

The original Autocruise went bust in October/November 2007. Swifts bought the name and tooling and started making a new "Autocruise Augusta" in early 2008. The first vans were presented at the NEC in March that year.

Marquis had acquired my van from the bankrupt stock the previous year, it was in fact a 2007 vehicle and they swapped out the upholstery because I had selected it from the Swifts options brochure.

The differences I'd picked up on at hand-over were dismissed as options on the show van. They failed/omitted to tell me it wasn't a Swift vehicle and I had no manufactures warranty.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
A good question I was just a simple punter looking at vans at the NEC in march 2008. I knew nothing of the history, but I was comparing fixed bed 2 singles vans with end bathrooms. I went onto the Swifts stand liked it and it fitted my layout requirements so I ordered one.

The order was taken by Marquis.

The original Autocruise went bust in October/November 2007. Swifts bought the name and tooling and started making a new "Autocruise Augusta" in early 2008. The first vans were presented at the NEC in March that year.

Marquis had acquired my van from the bankrupt stock the previous year, it was in fact a 2007 vehicle and they swapped out the upholstery because I had selected it from the Swifts options brochure.

The differences I'd picked up on at hand-over were dismissed as options on the show van. They failed/omitted to tell me it wasn't a Swift vehicle and I had no manufactures warranty.
Just a passing thought, with the slating that swift get on here, were you in fact getting a better motorhome?(y):)

Augusta08

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2015
Morbihan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Augusta
Exp
Since 2001
Just a passing thought, with the slating that swift get on here, were you in fact getting a better motorhome?(y):)

Perversely you are correct, although I was at risk, had the MH suffered damp or delamination problems I would have been in questionable territory; I was fortunate and it has been problem free.

I can count myself lucky that the end of line Autocruise was put together with some care and skill. I have no complaints.

Jul 4, 2016
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
V-Line 636 Sport
Sorry to hear bad reports about Marquis. I bought my Autotrail from Devon and found them to be very good and especially helpful. I had a problem on the new autotrail gas, one phone call and was booked in next day. problem fixed and so many thanks to Marquis Devon.

looks like a regional problem, but don't slate all Marquis!

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Sorry to hear bad reports about Marquis. I bought my Autotrail from Devon and found them to be very good and especially helpful. I had a problem on the new autotrail gas, one phone call and was booked in next day. problem fixed and so many thanks to Marquis Devon.

looks like a regional problem, but don't slate all Marquis!

We bought our first MH from Marquis Sussex
Total disaster from start to finish
Should be closed down by Tradiing Standards

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back