patch

Free Member
Nov 25, 2012
WEYMOUTH
Funster No
MH
Just bought first MH
Exp
Have just received my first sim from joemobile and it came with a note saying that when I activate the sim card I will need a European credit card and an IDENTITY CARD to buy the plan. Has anyone else had to do this and if so what did they use? Also....

Am I best waiting till the day before I go to activate it and hope I don't have a problem but will get the whole month of wifi

I am looking at the 20 euro package which says there is free calls to UK landlines and mobiles included. Have I got this right? Seems a bit too cheap to me. (Unless I forget to cancel it after the first month)

Am sure one of u out there will be able to help!

Steve304

Free Member
Nov 29, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
2 Years (12000 Miles)
I got one of these last year complete with a set of instructions as to how to use their website, which seems very straightforward. I purchased my sim from a French guy, here in the UK, so HE would have provided all the identification necessary to Joe Mobile, in order to get the sim in the first place. It is the law in most other EU countries that you have to provide them with full verified ID before they will supply a sim.

Just check the joe mobile website for confirmation and if they only need payment details, then you should be able to set it up before you go.:thumb:

OP
OP
P

patch

Free Member
Nov 25, 2012
WEYMOUTH
Funster No
MH
Just bought first MH
Exp
thanks for your reply. I already have received the sim from joemobile with instructions of how to access their site to activate it. I didn't want to don't want to do this too early in case it is time sensitive so was wondering how people dealt with the Identity Card problem. It maybe , of course, that the card is only on countdown from when I first use it as opposed to when I first activate it which would make investigating it easier!!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jazzbow

Free Member
May 13, 2012
West Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
new
I got one of these to use next month :Smile:
my understanding is that the clock would start ticking as soon as you bought the credit, presumably you do this to activate the card.
The person that sent my one didn't mention anything about id cards or french credit cards, maybe someone here can clarify this please?

OP
OP
P

patch

Free Member
Nov 25, 2012
WEYMOUTH
Funster No
MH
Just bought first MH
Exp
I am going to email the company y again and try to clarify the situation. You don't need a free h credit card just one that works in Europe. Am fairly confident that all credit cards would work in Europe.

Will post any reply I get from joemobile

Steve101uk

Free Member
Jun 6, 2012
EUROPEAN UNION
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740 C
Exp
since 2007 caravan before that
I have Le French mobile (although changing to joe mobile)as its cheaper). Le French require ID. I read on the motorhome wifi site that it is EU law to send photo ID, usually a drivers licence or passport. This has not been adopted in the UK but is something that I had to do when activating the Le French sim card.

Therefore I suspect that Joe Mobile will require photo ID and an address. However with Le French I was able to use my UK address so maybe that's not a problem with Joe. I am interested to find out if any one knows?

cheers Steve

OP
OP
P

patch

Free Member
Nov 25, 2012
WEYMOUTH
Funster No
MH
Just bought first MH
Exp
Have has a reply from joemobile and the situation is this...

Instead of identity card you can put in your passport or driving licence number.

I have inputted my info into site and got as far as paying without too my h trouble. Where it is asking for postcode it wouldn't accept English postcode so I just put in 12345 and it was happy with this.

Joemobile suggests that the package is bought 3 days before departure to ensure everything is working OK. I am going to do this on 28th may cos we are lead ing on 1st June and returning on 28th so should still get whole month.

Hope this helps. Fingers crossed!!!

All the joemobile site can be translated automatically into English

Steve101uk

Free Member
Jun 6, 2012
EUROPEAN UNION
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740 C
Exp
Think I need an idiots guide to joining Joe:cry:

OK, so I can't see where I get a sim sent to me without paying first. I assumed I got the sim and then subscribed. I cant find the email address you guys are using to talk to Joe, as I obviously need that lol.

If some one could explain and point me to the correct webpages I would be grateful. looks like a much better deal than Le French Mobile.

thanks

Steve

Jazzbow

Free Member
May 13, 2012
West Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
new
You need to register with the site then go to the community tab and post on the forum a request for someone to send you a sim to the uk. You don't have to pay anything til you activate the sim ( I did this no bother yesterday)The guy that sent mine declined my offer to pay for postage too. His English was perfect, docteur x was his username I think. My French is rubbish so I used google chrome to auto translate the page. Hope this helps

Jazzbow

Free Member
May 13, 2012
West Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
new
I've not made any calls because I'd be charged for roaming as I'm outside france, but everything looks as it should and I've had both texts and emails welcoming me to Joemobile.

Steve101uk

Free Member
Jun 6, 2012
EUROPEAN UNION
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740 C
Exp
Update on Joe Mobile.

I did as suggested and went on the forum and within minutes a guy offered to send me a sim which arrived about 4 days later. He didn't want postage or anything.

Activated the sim this morning with some help from google translate. I had to manually set up the apn. One thing to note if you want to check its all working while in the UK then you need to add some credit to 'extras' in the cockpit. I got 5 euros free for sim activation, as did the guy who sent me the sim. once all set up, tested, and everything working fine including tethering.

I also added additional gig's so for 30 euros a month I have 7 gigs plus the inclusive calls to UK landlines and all French phones etc. Very happy with that.

Its very similar to giff gaff which I use here so the idea isn't unfamiliar.

will update how I get on in France in three weeks time...

the guy in France also sent me this link

http://jmsim.eu/

OP
OP
P

patch

Free Member
Nov 25, 2012
WEYMOUTH
Funster No
MH
Just bought first MH
Exp
After a bit of a shakey start, once everything working Joemobile great value. Can't believe that I can call any landline in Britain for free. Standard amount of internet has been more than enough. Just hope I don't forget to stop the next months payment cos then it won't have been such a bargain!! Joemobile site always happy to help with any problems you might have. Will def use them again next time we r in France.

lou020

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 5, 2010
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
autotrail chieftain
Exp
since 2010
I have used joe mobile in france quite a few times and is brilliant, pretty fast data/internet. for the price i think it is the best value.
I had an email yesterday saying for 2 euros per day you can roam in most of europe.

There is also a post on here about three sim cards, whereas they dont charge you for roaming abroad from the 1st of july, so if you have 3gb in uk you also have 3gb in europe. also with pay as you go:thumb:

Steve101uk

Free Member
Jun 6, 2012
EUROPEAN UNION
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740 C
Exp
I have used joe mobile in france quite a few times and is brilliant, pretty fast data/internet. for the price i think it is the best value.
I had an email yesterday saying for 2 euros per day you can roam in most of europe.

There is also a post on here about three sim cards, whereas they dont charge you for roaming abroad from the 1st of july, so if you have 3gb in uk you also have 3gb in europe. also with pay as you go:thumb:

I don't think you can tether with three like you can with Joe. This makes the difference for me as we may have 2 or 3 devices tethering at anyone time.

Jazzbow

Free Member
May 13, 2012
West Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
new
We just got back :)cry:) I was a little disappointed with the 3g coverage. I did get a good phone signal but I really wanted the sim for the data and it only worked well in one of our stops. I just thought that I should let you all know not to rely on being able to get online with this.

Steve101uk

Free Member
Jun 6, 2012
EUROPEAN UNION
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740 C
Exp
Update on Joe

Just had two weeks in France visiting Normandy. I used 5 gigs out of the 7 I paid for. I used Joe to tether two phones and two ipads, a kindle and the laptop, all worked fine using a HTC Desire C as the Joe phone. Speeds were generally adequate highest was about 3 mgs lowest went to about 0.2 at Omaha Beach Campsite where I also had a very poor signal.

One one occasion I streamed a movie from Netflix through my VPN with no buffering at all. Listened to radio most days using Joe and read emails and news daily, and also made some skype calls. Also made some UK landline calls.

Its very similar to Giff Gaff and I would say the quality of it is about the same. I like being able to monitor my usage very easily and for the price I think it was a bargain.

Hope this helps...cheers Steve

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back