Jock McPlock from Scotland 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 (1 Viewer)

JockMcPlock

Free Member
Jul 20, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet
Hello,

Im going to be doing some lurking around here trying to find out information, here’s why…

I am considering buying an American school bus and converting it into a home away from home, commonly referred to as a ‘Skoolie’.

Whilst I can get plenty of information from the US about the conversion itself, other aspects I will need to find out from here possibly.
Some of my questions and concerns relate to parking of a 30-40ft vehicle on campsites &
shore power, filling up a 400 litre water tank, grey & black water disposal, solar panels with UK weather.

Using this Skoolie is not a full-time swap of lifestyle. In preparation for something, I may find myself needing to live out of hotels for weeks on end and from one city or area to the next. My ideas have tumbled down the rabbit hole to this point with the big bus.

Hopefully I will be able to get some questions answered here to give me a better understanding of life on the road and campsite rules, regs and the Law.

Jul 10, 2018
Worcester(U.K)
Funster No
MH
Tamar Ducato160multi
Exp
Welcome Jock, have you seen FunForLouis as he has converted a similar american school bus? Good luck with your build whatever you decide we all would love to hear about it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Morning Jock, not sure where you’re from, if Edinburgh area someone in Colinton has one that’s sits outside their house. If like the rest he or she will love talking about it.

OP
OP
J

JockMcPlock

Free Member
Jul 20, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet
Welcome Jock, have you seen FunForLouis as he has converted a similar american school bus? Good luck with your build whatever you decide we all would love to hear about it.
I’m not sure. I know there’s a few Skoolies in the UK though I’ve only seen a ‘shortie’ converted which also featured on an episode of George Clark’s Amazing Spaces. The one I plan for will be over twice as long. I tried to search the name on here but it didn’t come up, is there a link on here for his thread?
Morning Jock, not sure where you’re from, if Edinburgh area someone in Colinton has one that’s sits outside their house. If like the rest he or she will love talking about it.
I’m further up the road near Inverness. But would love to see others that have been done in the UK to see what process they took with it all.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
I’m not sure. I know there’s a few Skoolies in the UK though I’ve only seen a ‘shortie’ converted which also featured on an episode of George Clark’s Amazing Spaces. The one I plan for will be over twice as long. I tried to search the name on here but it didn’t come up, is there a link on here for his thread?

I’m further up the road near Inverness. But would love to see others that have been done in the UK to see what process they took with it all.

Here a UK base Skoolie conversion that CJ of the YouTube channel Project Amber had a look over.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
I have a funny feeling the one in Edinburgh has a website, it’s something hostel so might be worth googling it.

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
Welcome from Surrey! (y)

(and ‘Good Luck’ with your project!)

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
saw a full length one in france sking 2 years ago not something i would fancy Owner said it had the largest turning circle he had ever driven

Nov 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Golden Girls Hello GIF by TV Land

phillipsheila

Free Member
Jun 23, 2020
Swansea, Wales, UK
Funster No
MH
autotrail 660se
Exp
since 2000. 18 motorhomes and counting
:HelloThere: :welc:
2_bus5JPG.jpg
lives 1 mile from me. its big

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Welcome to the fun house 🤪🤪🤪
I remember seeing an Ex Yank military school bus near Mildenhall air base around 10 years ago, the guy had bought it at auction and converted it, kept the drab green colour and had a big Star and bar painted on the side, not sure if you woukd want to draw that much attention to yourself 😉

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back