Free Member
Jul 3, 2016
Yorkshireman living in Surrey
Funster No
MH
Majestic 180
Exp
...so he sets the rules but,

Anyone else think its bad form for people to join up just to use the sales forum ? Seems some just join to flog their van, giving rubbish descriptions and no images !!

Another forum I frequent doesnt allow access to the sales pages until over 50 posts have been reached, its not perfect but it stops the free loaders posting without contributing to the community.

Hey, just a suggestion. Jims train set .

OP
OP
EyUp

EyUp

Free Member
Jul 3, 2016
Funster No
MH
Majestic 180
Exp
ah no it isnt at all. I didnt realise that was there... I will have a look through it..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
It's wrong but tend not to worry too much about things like that, I know other forums have strict rules about such things and I do have a word sometimes.

A similar thing, we see non members sneak into our refreshment tent at show rallies, we know they are not members, they have a cup of tea and 6 biscuits. Like other clubs I could ask them to leave or spend £70 on a smart vinyl banner saying Members Refreshment Only. But I'd rather spend the £70 on tea and be a little more welcoming. Yes some take the pee, but many are impressed by the laid back attitude and word gets around that we really are a friendly bunch. Even when you're stealing our bickies we'll give you a cheery "Hello again, how are you?" :)

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
It's wrong but we tend to not worry too much about things that, I know other forums have strict rules about such things and I do have a word sometimes.

A similar thing, we see non members sneak into our refreshment tent at show rallies, we know they are not members, they have a cup of tea and 6 biscuits. Like other clubs I could ask them to leave or spend £70 on a smart vinyl banner saying Members Refreshment Only. But I'd rather spend the £70 on tea and be a little more welcoming. Yes some take the pee, but many are impressed by the laid back attitude and word gets around that we really are a friendly bunch. Even when you're stealing our bickies we'll give you a cheery "Hello again, how are you?" :)

Hi.
NOW you tell us,after we have remortgaged our house and had a loan from the bankl,cancelled a weekend at...Skeggy!. We could have used the £15 joining fee by doing a monthly shop at Waitroses,with extras and had change!
Bah Humbug
Penniless Tea Bag

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years

Anyone else think its bad form for people to join up just to use the sales forum ? Seems some just join to flog their van, giving rubbish descriptions and no images !!

Another forum I frequent doesnt allow access to the sales pages until over 50 posts have been reached, its not perfect but it stops the free loaders posting without contributing to the community.

Would you not buy said item on principle then even if it was a bargain price?:whistle:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
At a show we often 'do our bit' to try to encourage membership when we're scoffing nibbling biscuits at the stand so sometimes being able to offer a free tea and bikkie helps encourage them to become members as they can have a sit down and natter with other members to see what we're like o_O before committing ... so far I don't think we've put anyone off!:D

OP
OP
EyUp

EyUp

Free Member
Jul 3, 2016
Funster No
MH
Majestic 180
Exp
Would you not buy said item on principle then even if it was a bargain price?:whistle:

Thats not the point.
Communities like this depend a lot on trust. Whats to stop some toerag posting a nicked van up for sale at a bargain price just for a quick off load !

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
At a show we often 'do our bit' to try to encourage membership when we're scoffing nibbling biscuits at the stand so sometimes being able to offer a free tea and bikkie helps encourage them to become members as they can have a sit down and natter with other members to see what we're like o_O before committing ... so far I don't think we've put anyone off!:D

BEST PANTOMIME VOICE......
"OH YES YOU HAVE ".......... Well,Might'ish?:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Could have?...Didn't?(y)
Tea Bag

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
On the bike forum I run we have a 10 post rule.. It is not really to stop folk advertising without doing anything else, but more to let peeps get a feel for the sellers attitude.. The scrotes are easily spotted !
And bottom line, would YOU buy something from someone who is a complete unknown and gives a poor description and no pics ?
Unlikely, so if they wanna waste their time and effort it is kinda up to them ;)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Regarding non-paid-up members being able to advertise ... its a difficult one ... we've had some people on here who 'visit' who have needed to sell a loved-ones pride and joy due to a bereavement so they wouldn't want to join just to do that, but then there are those who 'visit' purely to advertise and but they are few and far between. It is sometimes simply because the person selling the motorhome related stuff thinks that others on this forum might be interested in what they have, rather than just putting it on a non-motorhome one.

I must admit that a 'member' funster (ie one who's paid subs) is more likely to be trusted than a 'visitor' funster but as with all things like this you MUST check for yourself - it is very easy to fall into the trap of believing that someone you see 'chatting' on the forum is okay and that every 'member' funster is trustworthy/honest.

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009

Does that make him the controller?;)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Going back to actually chatting to non-members at shows (not just at the tea stand :D ), one thing we try to do is get across to them that this isn't just an online forum/community but that there is much more to it than that and that they can partake of other things as they wish with no pressure at all to have to 'conform'. Most we've spoken to think it is JUST a forum so don't see the extra benefits of membership ... not a criticism Jim ... just wondering if there's a way this could be made more obvious to entice more members?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Does that make him the controller?;)
Are you trying to saying surreptitiously he's FAT!!!!!!! :eek:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Going back to actually chatting to non-members at shows (not just at the tea stand :D ), one thing we try to do is get across to them that this isn't just an online forum/community but that there is much more to it than that and that they can partake of other things as they wish with no pressure at all to have to 'conform'. Most we've spoken to think it is JUST a forum so don't see the extra benefits of membership ... not a criticism Jim ... just wondering if there's a way this could be made more obvious to entice more members?
I think the funniest ( and I do apologise up front if the person is still a member but hopefully you will see the funny side ! ) thing was the the couple that joined Fun, paid subs etc and then complained long and hard to Jim the subs were a complete rip off as £15 ( or what ever it was then ) for a weekly news letter was just wrong
They had not managed to find the forum or any of us at all !

Norfolk Red

Free Member
Nov 18, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Chieftan
Exp
2 Years
Hi people,

being new on this wonderful forum, how do you know if someone is a paid up member ?

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Yes some take the pee, but many are impressed by the laid back attitude and word gets around that we really are a friendly bunch. Even when you're stealing our bickies we'll give you a cheery "Hello again, how are you?"

Would that admirable attitude remain the same if the freeloading, scumbag bicky stealer was wearing a Welsh Rugby shirt?

JJ :cool:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Would that admirable attitude remain the same if the freeloading, scumbag bicky stealer was wearing a Welsh Rugby shirt?

JJ :cool:

Yes, you have to feel sorry for welsh rugby fans these days. :rofl:

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
Drat

I was hoping this had pictures of Jim's trainset so I could swap modelling stories

BUT

You mean there's a weekly newsletter usually on the forum so often not read it

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
@
It's wrong but tend not to worry too much about things like that, I know other forums have strict rules about such things and I do have a word sometimes.

@Jim could you not buy broken biscuits for non members
And blame it on brexit
:pray:
Save us poor impoverished members a copper or two

:whistle2:

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I have a confession...

I got banned !

From the Chickens as Pets group on Facebook

I honesty do love me chickens.

I built them a beatiful home (Cluckinham Palace)

But I like eating them too !

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Coz you, my Narrfolk lovely has your name resplendent in Blue.

Newbies in green and those not erm.....wanting to pay are in black.

And the continuously naughty little buggers are banned and are "Red"... :giggler:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Can't see a problem making advertising for paid up members only.
Where else can you advertise for a miserly £15 a year and reach out to a 'captive' audience of thousands of prospective buyers.
Even a classified on Ebay will cost £15+ and once it's run its time that's it...nothing more to show for your £15.
As a paid up member here you can advertise again and again.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back