Jez & Lin (1 Viewer)

D

DM14742

Deleted User
Hi all, joined the site a little while ago but just invested the Tenner for full access. (I am a Yorkshireman therefore you can imagine how much deliberation that one took!!) We have a selfbuilt Van conversion on a 2001 Fiat Ducato & a lovely thing it is too. We have had a wonderful 2011 in it & looking forward to getting away sometime soon. Plans include a trip to the Dordogne in September with our young Labrador, this would be my first venture abroad so any pointers would be welcome especially experiences of Eurotunnel & the journey down which I would like to do over a couple of days & possibly use Aires on the stopovers. all advice would be most welcome. Anyway I look forward to chatting with you & soaking up your combined wealth of knowledge & experience.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
:welcomefunster:

The tunnel is the best way to take a dog, making sure the dog has a passport (PETS scheme) of course as they just travel with you in the van and won't get stressed.

If you use a satnav just set it to avoid tolls and get a POI file of aires.

Using my pre-satnav scheme just head south and when you feel you want to stop just look for the signs. Booking sites is unnecessary and inconvenient as the places you find by accident are usually much nicer than your planned destination. Everywhere is open in September and it is out of the peak holiday season. If you are planning on using any sites it is worth getting the ACSI book and card as you can save a packet.

Popular aires can get full if you leave it too late before you stop, I usually aim for early afternoon as it gives me a few hours to look round the town/village in a leisurely fashion, particularly to locate a baker for my pre-breakfast walk the next morning:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
Hallo & :welcome:

Peter & Caroline

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
Hi Jez and Lin and welcome. We aren't too far from you and I know of at least another 3 Funsters in the Wakefield area. This is the place for the books you will need. 'All the Aires in France' is a great book, as is the ACSI book and card. We haven't used the tunnel yet since we don't shop at Tesco. All those who do get club points and go over cheaper. At the moment, we usually do the DFDS crossing from Dover to Dunkirk and Ellie, our dog, is fine in the van for a couple of hours, although I hate leaving her. When you are coming home, try to get a vet further down the country since they are more expensive the nearer to the port you get. Happy travels. ::bigsmile:

Ivy

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hello and welcome, sounds as if you will fit in well here.:welcomefunster:

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
Hi and welcome

Most yorkshire men realise the value of the site and its content pretty quick usually

France is a doddle, great to look around, main things to remember is 2 triangles (incase of breakdown) spare glasses (if you wear them), reflective jackets (accessible before leaving vehicle at side of road), first aid kit, spare bulb kit, and the new breathalyzer kit

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Hello from all of us , just down the road in Wrenthorpe :thumb:

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
hello and welcome to the nut house:ROFLMAO: