Jenbens Couch to 5k running and walking together - come and join in (1 Viewer)

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Well I'm doing my 6.27k walk whenever weather permits. Arctic clothing and boots don't work too well for running. There’s a couple of hills to get the heart pumping.
When it's too cold to go out I've been managing with aerobic exercises and the gym kit I have at home.
Also stretches.
I'd quite like to do a bit of running though.

Conrad J

Free Member
Jul 10, 2020
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 646
Exp
Since 1999.
Good luck Jenben, stick with it, we started it last April, both had a bit of a break with muscle strain (we are wrong side of 65!), but successfully finished it and soooo pleased we did. Feel fitter, and as such fingers crossed better able to fight off any nasty bugs, have heard there is one of particular concern.......as the very least have boosted our vitamin D by being out, as well as mental well being for enjoying nature. Now trying running with our cocker spaniels, but as they are basically noses with a body attached, they peel off track every 10 meters!
Found the NHS app great, music good and you get useful tips from the coach. There are follow-on ones as well, to improve once you've done 5km.
Weather tip - it may seem cold but you'll soon warm up so don't wrap up too much! Focus on where you get cold - I use running hat and thick gloves, but get nicely warm legs. Don't bother with stretches before you start, shown to be a waste of time but worthwhile when you've finished.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 1, 2017
eastbourne
Funster No
MH
van conversion, Peug
Exp
4 years
Its a brilliant app and theres an associated forum that is a great support, like this one.
I did it following a heart issue, with no running background, my top tips would be,
Stick to the programme even if you feel like you can run further/longer,
Dynamic stretch before run, static stretch after
If you get an injury, no sweat just stop and wait until its 100% better
Treat yourself to a new bit of running kit when you hit goals
Put a Parkrun on your goal list, it feels like a real achievement
I read this post with a grim face, only yesterday I made the decision to stop jogging, and go to less impact exercise, it seems that if I do pull a small muscle it aggravates riveting gout which lays me up for a week , bah, will so miss the runs, but I have found some nice 5k walks locally now, and its kept me fitter in this infernal lockdown
Good luck to anyone who does couch to 5k its really doable ...

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Glad you added your last bit 👍🏻👍🏻

Warm up before an activity and stretch after it. Never stretch before

OP
OP
Jenben

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
I read this post with a grim face, only yesterday I made the decision to stop jogging, and go to less impact exercise, it seems that if I do pull a small muscle it aggravates riveting gout which lays me up for a week , bah, will so miss the runs, but I have found some nice 5k walks locally now, and its kept me fitter in this infernal lockdown
Sorry to hear this but could you power walk instead ?

I find that really good exercise as well , I did do a Nordic walking course a few years ago and whilst it might seem slightly bonkers striding along with a set of poles I do enjoy it.

Not running this week as my mate is at her mums , I think she feels she can’t commit any time to it at the moment, we will get back to it when she feels up to it. Getting the poles out instead !

Jan 1, 2017
eastbourne
Funster No
MH
van conversion, Peug
Exp
4 years

I find that really good exercise as well , I did do a Nordic walking course a few years ago and whilst it might seem slightly bonkers striding along with a set of poles I do enjoy it.

Not running this week as my mate is at her mums , I think she feels she can’t commit any time to it at the moment, we will get back to it when she feels up to it. Getting the poles out instead !
Nice suggestion, live near south downs so thats ideal! 👨🏽‍🦯

Jan 1, 2017
eastbourne
Funster No
MH
van conversion, Peug
Exp
4 years

Nice suggestion, live near south downs so thats ideal!

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Colin and I have decided to join in, a bit late but still. We used to run a lot, particularly me, but not ran in a structured way for at least 6 years.

Downloaded the NHS app and did our 1st run today. With the dulcet tones of Michael Johnson telling us when to run and walk.
Screenshot_20210210-122040_Strava.jpg

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Just started week 2. As we did a lot of running in our not too distant past, we are finding it too easy at the moment. However, we are going to stick to the plan as joints and body weight are not what they were! Also our dog is running with us and she needs to get fit gradually too.

How is everyone else getting on?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back