Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
bob isuzu do automatic trucks so one of them could solve that problem.
but really an rv is either a truck or a coach. things are moving along quickly in the other side of the world.
honest try a bit of googling you will i,m sure be amazed . every car and truck company you can think of is producing in japan or china . and have been for along time.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
so it is

If you look closely at the gearlever, it is in fact an automatic.

So it is.. can see the button on the side.. some people are real eagle eyed:winky:

Sounds good if it was an auto.. A decent chassis with that option with that body would be nice.. bet it will cost a fortune.

Love one

Bob:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
.. part of driving a large RV is it is not a truck.

Bob

Not quite correct Bob, C class, B class American motorhomes are generally built on a truck or van derived chassis..

Generally it's only the larger, and more expensive A Class coaches, such as built by American Coach, Newmar ,Fleetwood, Tiffin, Winnebago, Georgieboy etc., mostly pushers, that have a proprietary coach chassis by either Spartan or Freightliner.. A class Winnies use Maxum built by Freightliner.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
yes Jim I did know

Yes Jim I did know.. did not want to cloudy the waters.. My RV is a commercial based Winnebago... being a B class it is based on the E350 Super Duty Ford Chassis (same as the E450 but with shorter chassis rails.)

We do have a commercial cab but with a fair amount of factory extras.... plus the hand of Winnebago.. seats are cloth and there is the extras added like electric windows and heated electric adjustable mirrors. (basic commercial units do not have these items as standard).. the chassis is the same as a lot of american Ambulances or EMD's are based on).... the E350 and the E450 both have the Ford V10 6.8 ltr petrol triton engine ..

Bob

OP
OP
jezport
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
So, it would seem that Isuzu and possibly Mitsubishi offer a range of chassis cabs that are suitable for most motorhome applications. They offer them in an automatic or manual transmission and there are no big lists of defects that their manufacturers deny and call "a characteristic of the vehicle" like certain european manufacturers do.

It may be our own faults for not standing up and saying we like are sick of having juddering gearboxes,broken fifth gars, flat batteries, duff DMFs. Use a more reliable chassis, and use companies who offer better customer service like Isuzu for example.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Heres a couple presently on ebay
terry

Link Removed
Link Removed

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi .i used to be one of the importers of vw parts world wide. but try a google on ks international. they are the uk`s biggest importers of new japanese truck spares .many of you could find its cheaper to go japanese than euro. have a look .i use them service is excellent . i bought my new g,box from them , came with alternative tranmission brake set up and the cable to hook up to the handbrake lever .cant beat having an alternative option. i have no connection to them just a customer but know many think that japanese trucks might be expnsive on bits .

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi ,was just looking through some pics and thought put these on just to show how the moroccans treat japanese (built in maroc ) mitsubishi trucks .plus one of mine by a busted road near a resevour near larache. they reckoned the truck had about 15ton on a6.3ton truck. its definately not uk.hee hee

Attachments

• Morocco 2008-2009 3 439.jpg
    Morocco 2008-2009 3 439.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 40
  • Morocco 2008-2009 3 421.jpg
    Morocco 2008-2009 3 421.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 35
OP
OP
jezport
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
hi ,was just looking through some pics and thought put these on just to show how the moroccans treat japanese (built in maroc ) mitsubishi trucks .plus one of mine by a busted road near a resevour near larache. they reckoned the truck had about 15ton on a6.3ton truck. its definately not uk.hee hee

How would a Fiat juddddder gearbox handle that load :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
You need a "world" motor. Jap engines, ZF gearboxes, and yank chassis. jap motors are good, the Isuzu engine \I slung in a Landrover was brilliant, totally changed the motor, but the japs dont have our weather, and because of their "MOT" they dont look much past three years, thats why we have so many jap imports at three years old, they also have a penchant for tacky bling and too much chrome.
We only need to use their engines, we dont want "dolls house" sized MH's, nor do we want very minnie winnies that are unusable .
Mind you, as Alan says,......transits, iveco daily's etc......have all now proved their reliability, are constantly doing stellar miles with all the major EU retailers......maybe its time to wake up to the fact that if you want a big MH, with room, facilities, creature comforts,....its gonna be a bigun'::bigsmile:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi, mitsubishi canters sold here in uk are made in portugal, toyota dyna are made in portugal. again morocco make lots of makes there. i was a vw person . but after seeing whar where the mitsubishi went and how they abuse them in africa . i bought mine.it started life as our local grave diggers tipper .i,m not joking . since building this one i have had a few dealings with most of the major manufacturers . they do see a future for mini artics .at the moment iveco will build almost what ever you want . but isuzu have a few around .mitsubishi its growing. certainly i think its the way forward for m,homing .specially with driving licence issues.
but wait a few years and you will all be driving jap or chinese .i mean that seriously. it is going to happen . they all have partners in the western world .but soon eu will stop making things all together,

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back