Apr 17, 2017
Devon
Funster No
MH
Van Conversation
Exp
New
Hello all.
Going back to Spain after Christmas with new 6 month old puppy. I am quite new to motorhoming except for a 6 week tour earlier this year in my van conversion (without dog). I have no real reason to return to uk, maybe once a year to get the MOT. Does anyone have any advice?

Jan 27, 2014
mid wales
Funster No
MH
carthago chic i51.
Exp
Hi welcome to fun happy and safe travels
No advice just enjoy warmer climate.

OP
OP
MJL

MJL

Free Member
Apr 17, 2017
Devon
Funster No
MH
Van Conversation
Exp
New
Well..... channel tunnel, France, puppies, time away, almost everything really. Dog food abroad. Pet passport, rabies jab. You name it!

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
Channel tunnel - best way to cross channel with a dog. 35 mins and you're in France, however...........
France: Northern France closed, cold and miserable in the winter.
Puppies: Make sure they are securely tethered/caged in van, feed lightly through the journey with the food they are used to, stop often, give them bottled water only.
Dog food abroad: Many of the major brands you see in the UK are available. Also Lidl stores are everywhere so if your puppy likes them you can easily get the pouches. Vets will also stock Royal Canin if that's what puppy is used to.
Pet Passport: To late to get it in UK before you leave just after Christmas, however you will easily be able to get it done at a large Spanish vets. Microchip and rabies jab are integral part of getting passport. You obviously must have one before you can return to UK ( not needed on outbound journey). You will also need to get tapeworm treatment for your dog just before returning to UK and this must be stamped in his passport.
This link might alleviate your worries:
https://www.spain-holiday.com/Spain/articles/travelling-with-pets-in-spain

And lastly, there is plenty of advice on this forum and there will be plenty of advice available from the expats you meet on your travels, so calm down, it's all going to be OK. Enjoy. :xThumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Welcome ,
dont try and take a toad on A frame
Beware of being gassed
make sure to take a genset

That should get you a lot of advice on here :xrofl:

seriously dont fret , any advice you need will be offered and once you get on the road it will all play out fine

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Just go and enjoy.
Use the Aires-this time of year you might struggle getting water, although a lot of the fuel stations have a Borne where you pay for water they will probably still be open.
The Aire de Stationment de Camping Cars are what you need and a lot will be free.
DO NOT overnight on the 'Aire de Repos' on the dual carriageways/motorways they're not very safe!

OP
OP
MJL

MJL

Free Member
Apr 17, 2017
Devon
Funster No
MH
Van Conversation
Exp
New
IMG_20171203_105234.jpg

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Pet Passport: To late to get it in UK before you leave just after Christmas, however you will easily be able to get it done at a large Spanish vets. Microchip and rabies jab are integral part of getting passport. You obviously must have one before you can return to UK ( not needed on outbound journey). You will also need to get tapeworm treatment for your dog just before returning to UK and this must be stamped in his passport.
This link might alleviate your worries:
https://www.spain-holiday.com/Spain/articles/travelling-with-pets-in-spain
There IS still plenty of time to get the passport and rabies jab done now, it's not like the old days when you had to wait and have a blood test afterwards, very quick and easy and cheaper too - just ring round vets to find out the cost as they vary enormously and you don't have to use your own vet ... you could try asking them to price match though:). I wouldn't get it done abroad because AFAIK they can only do the rabies jab to cover for 1 year, not 3 as in the UK (same stuff I believe!) so you'd end up paying for the booster again next year and in a younger dog I wouldn't want to have it repeated so soon.

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
I wouldn't get it done abroad because AFAIK they can only do the rabies jab to cover for 1 year, not 3 as in the UK (same stuff I believe!) so you'd end up paying for the booster again next year and in a younger dog I wouldn't want to have it repeated so soon.
Good point. :xThumb:

appydaze

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 12, 2009
southend on sea essex
Funster No
MH
Merc high top
Exp
20 years
You wont need a gas mask....... just don't take your Rolex..... Have a great adventure and let us know how you get on....Good Khama to you. :xThumb:

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
This may help with routes and keep your costs to a minimum.
Firstly, routes and route maps for France and Spain. This first link is an award winning database about France. It’s big and with a host of information on best routes to many locations. I have selected the famous N10 route from Calais to Irun which is used by many motorhomes when travelling to Spain. It’s almost Toll free (more on that a little later) and almost all duel carriageway from start to finish with the exception of about 100 K. This route is great for motorhomes small, medium and large. Note: (HGV’s are not allowed on French roads, Sunday’s, so plan your journey over a weekend if possible).

https://about-france.com/tourism/no-tolls-routes.htm

Tolls: We avoid the toll road from Calais to Abbeville and save 12.50 Euros. The non-toll route is quite scenic and fairly straight forward, between Boulogne-sur-Mer and Abbeville.

At Abbeville, join the A28 and cross the river Sein at Rouen. We take the second exit immediately after crossing the bridge (about 50 m past the first exit at the end of the bridge), swing down and under the bridge you have just crossed and continue on this road and join the A13 motorway until the N154 which takes you down to Evreux. (Note: there are a number of different options for getting through Rouen and no doubt other members will have their own preferences. We find this very straight forward on both outward and return legs). Approaching Tours on the D910 join the A10 toll road at Jct. 19 and exit at Jct. 23. This will take you through the city via the toll road, (about 2.50 euros). At Jct. 23 take the exit lane for Montbazon which returns you to the D910. (Reverse for the return leg). That’s the last toll to pay until you hit the bottom of the A63 after Bordeaux.

To save toll fares on the A63 south of Bordeaux please read the route recommendations in the above link. Do not come off the A63 near the bottom as all roads will be heavily congested and it’s worth paying the last few tolls. (Fuel costs approx. €126.72. (Based on 1056 K @10K per Ltr. @€1.20 per ltr. 3.5T motorhome)). This route is also recommended during winter, due to its proximity to the Atlantic ocean, which means little to no problems with ice and or snow, unlike using the A75 to cross the Massif Central. Although the A75 is quickly cleared, it is advisable to have winter tyres fitted and there may be some small delays due to snow ploughs clearing this route.

If heading to the Mediterranean side of Spain, it’s worth taking the N121-A to Pamplona after crossing the Spanish boarder on the A63 at Irun. It’s clearly sign posted (Large white sign) about 300 m after passing through the last toll booth and crossing the river. You will find more details in this link for the N121-A and how to navigate Spain toll free.

https://about-spain.net/travel/no-tolls.htm

If you decide to pay Tolls in order to save time getting to Spain, your best route options are in this link.

https://about-france.com/tourism/routes-to-spain.htm

Should you choose to plan your own routes anywhere in Europe and also establish Toll costs, (or toll free costs) use this link. Under route options, select caravan then select toll roads. Toll costs for a class 2 motorhome will be calculated for the whole journey. You can also choose Non toll routes and other options. This is currently one of the best online free route planers.

https://www.viamichelin.co.uk/

As for stop overs on routes, you can’t go wrong using the App below which is free but I would recommend getting the paid version for about £6.00 which you can then use off line. You will find numerous places to stop along the above route and I have deliberately not made any recommendations so drivers can make their own choices. This app is also brilliant for finding other places too and highly rated by many users.

https://www.campercontact.com/en/content/app

There is another popular app/website that is used which you may also find useful if you’re doing a lot of wilding and looking for free overnight stops. It too is used by many motor homers in Europe. Get the paid version to use off line for around £9.00

https://www.park4night.com/

Finally, probably the best off line maps ‘App’ and used by many. It also includes a sat-nav function which is quite good and can also be used off line. Again many motor homers use this, especially in Morocco.

Broken Link Removed

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Too late for the Leishmaniasis vaccine too but you could get that done in Spain. We had a scare after we brought our dog back from Italy recently. He started showing some of the symptoms of Leishmaniasis but fortunately it turned out to be some sort of allergy which he has now more or less recovered from. It won't be cheap as it is a course of three injections and you may need a blood test first if done in Spain - you wouldn't in the UK with a puppy who has not been abroad.

It wasn't until we had our little scare did I read up about the effects of Leishmaniasis, which is now common around the Mediterranean. It is 100% fatal if untreated, which I think is fairly well known, but what isn't so well known is there is no real cure for the disease if a dog gets it. The treatment, such as it is, is daily injections for several weeks and possibly a daily tablet for the rest of the dog's life. Even then the disease could re-emerge at a later date as they can't completely eradicate from the dog's system.

The vaccine isn't 100% either but it does give some protection. Advantix applied every month is essential I think and we will get a Scalibor collar as well next time. :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back