Free Member
Aug 4, 2009
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Less Than 1 Year
Just thought I'd take a minute to update people at W Mersea Meet and anybody else interested on how we got on.

My wife and Daughter went to Iceland as part of the hundred years of guiding celebrations. First time we have holidayd (not sure about that word) in twenty years.

So I took Jake my ten year old son off in the Mortorhome for a bit of a boys adventure. Jake didn't know where he was going until we got there so it was all a bit of surprise for him.

We met up with the others on waldegraves site at W Mersea. The weather was good if a bit windy, it was good to have some adult company, and Jake had a great time with the other Kids. We biked, walked fished, barbequed and started our project of building a coracle. One thing that I learnt which may provoke a bit of thought was that after locking my keys in my van, I managed to break in under five minutes with a flat bladed screwdriver (no external damage). We both enjoyed the site, it has everything you could want there and I found the staff to be both friendly and helpful. My only criticism is that it is very large, this is a personal thing, and being a bit of a country bumpkin I prefer a quieter site. I must thank Gail and Tony for organising the meet and all their help while we were there.

We drove onto Chertsey, about two and a half hours. The main objective being to visit Beanoland, we found out that this has been recently closed, so after a few quiet moments we replanned. We visited Windsor Castle, Legoland, and had a day in London. All great. Unfortunately when I left the pitch at W Mersea, I left the rest of the coracle wood under the van, we found a very helpful guy at the local timber yard who cut us some strips of ply to carry on with, however it rained for the rest of the tour so no more progress was made. The camping and caravaning site at Chertesy was excellent, spotlessly clean, the staff couldn't do enough for you and wild flocks of ring necked parakeets flying around. Two pubs nearby and very convenient for the train into London.

We had a terrible drive from Chertsey to St. Neots, 3 1/2 hours in pouring rain. The plan was; being very close to the river we were going to finsh and Launch the Coracle. Unfortunately once we arrived the bottom pulley damper fell apart and we had to arrnge AA recovery. The AA got us on the back of a lorry in under a couple of hours and the driver was great.

I never got to find out too much about the Camping and Caravaning Club site at St. Neots due to our stay being cut short, however the clubs motto didn't really apply. I plan to email the club separately about this.

So all in all we had a great time with a few adventures and lessons learnt. It was a shame the holiday was cut short, but we got home in one piece.

Dave

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
Sorry to hear that your plans were cut short

and to close beanoland before Jake had a chance to enjoy it is absolutely unforgiveable.

The wood for the oracle is safely stored here with us and we will try to get it to you sometime over half term.

Is the pulley damper all fixed now? hope it didnt cost too much.

OP
OP
S

SmellyFeet

Free Member
Aug 4, 2009
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Less Than 1 Year
Van back on drive. Haven't had the bill yet.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dalek

Free Member
Apr 26, 2010
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Roller Team 600
Exp
18 months
It was nice to meet you both, and glad you had an enjoyable time at Chertsey and London. Shame about Beanoland but I'm sure you wouldn't let the closure spoil your boys adventure. I was in John Lewis last week and they had a Beano football along with various Beano artifacts, which made me think of Jake and wondered how you had got, now I know.

Sorry to hear about the problem with the van and pleased to read it is now fixed. If you want to launch the corricle, if not done so already, you can launch it down at Wroxham Broad.

Dale

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back