Jacobite steam railway (1 Viewer)

Sep 21, 2007
Kings Ripton, Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
RP Rebellion 2 2024
Exp
Since 2007
Did the Jacobite a few years ago and loved it. We parked in the carpark opposite Lidl In Fort William and used the pay and display service whilst we did the train ride. We also stayed the previous night in that carpark. It worked well for us. (y)

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Was at Fort William last weekend. As mentioned Bunree if you can get booked in. Ample free parking for motorhome at the station in Fort William. If you can't get booked into Bunree, travel up the road from Fort William to Mallag. I know you do not want to go to Skye but just before you get to Mallag is a campsite called Silversands. Its on the river. You can then park the motorhome at the car park near Mallag station and get the train return to Fort William. A plus going to Mallag is that on route to Mallag you can stop off at the Viaduct lots of parking at the National Trust car park and a walk up the path to a viewing area and watch the up and down scheduled train go over the viaduct. You will get loads of Harry Potter fans just waiting to see this. Aim, to get there around 2.30pm and both trains are around the 3.00pm and 3.20pm.
Then from the Campsite take the internal road down towards Isle of Mull some outstanding scenery. We were there Monday and Tuesday, if you do not want to go over to Mull you can cut all the way round back towards Fort William but get the £8.50 ferry over to near Bunree campsite.

Hope this helps
Hi Thought the tickets were return tickets from Fort William only so no use staying at Mallaig.

knickam

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 5, 2020
Fraserburgh, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
2 years
Doubt they'll have availability but worth a phone call
It's the beach in Local Hero if you remember it.

Remember it well, Also filmed in Pennan, Local village near me.
Original phone box still in Pennan and film fans still phoning home from it

OP
OP
robrace
Mar 31, 2014
Stratford-upon-Avon, UK
Funster No
MH
BUCCANEER CARAVEL
Exp
SINCE 1975
Managed to book site at Moffat for 3 nights and Ben Nevis site at Fort William for 4 nights so far!😊need to sort out somewhere for the next 10 days after!May head north so need to sort out sites if we can get on any?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
Managed to book site at Moffat for 3 nights and Ben Nevis site at Fort William for 4 nights so far!😊need to sort out somewhere for the next 10 days after!May head north so need to sort out sites if we can get on any?
Just make sure you have sufficient water and empty tanks and juggle three day stop overs. Some outstanding park ups that way

Brockley

Free Member
Dec 13, 2019
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Chausson 630 + mods!
Exp
Since 2006
Hi Thought the tickets were return tickets from Fort William only so no use staying at Mallaig.

We got the bus from Mallaig to Fort William, used single tickets on the Jacobite to get back to Mallaig no problem 😉

Reactions: f6c

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
When we went to Fort William on the bikes a few years ago, it rained every minute we were there !
The trip was to visit a close friends home.. He told us in 10 years of living there he could not remember any time it did not rain at least once a week all year round !

May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
When we went to Fort William on the bikes a few years ago, it rained every minute we were there !
The trip was to visit a close friends home.. He told us in 10 years of living there he could not remember any time it did not rain at least once a week all year round !
As they say in Scotland, no such thing as bad weather, just wrong clothes :whistle2:

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
A little bit of midge advice for the experienced or non experienced camper.
Broken Link Removed

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
That’s it!depress me! Was looking forward to going😊
Don't fret, I'd been going to Fort William to visit friends for over 20yrs before I saw a single drop of rain, even in the depths of winter & as Wee Bold Davy "there's no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes".

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
As nice as a trip on the Jacobite train is... if it is scenery you are after.. reputed to be one of the best train journeys in the world is the West Highland line.
Fort William to Mallaig is only part of it but to see it all and undoubtedly the best part you really need to stay on train at Fort William and go all the way to Glasgow..Truly Stunning.

Slioch

Free Member
Apr 21, 2020
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
With this level of technology available to them in the 18th Century, how the Jacobites lost at Culloden is a mystery. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Bluemanc100

Free Member
Aug 13, 2019
Hawarden near Chester
Funster No
MH
Elddis Majestic 155
Exp
MH Novice (but a seasoned veteran driver)
Both Silversands and Bunree fully booked August/September so looking at Ben Nevis campsite for a few days and taxi to station.looks a good option!Thereafter not sure!!
We’ve been walking to town from Glen Nevis.. it’s only around 2 miles

OP
OP
robrace
Mar 31, 2014
Stratford-upon-Avon, UK
Funster No
MH
BUCCANEER CARAVEL
Exp
SINCE 1975
2 miles! That should be within our capabilities😊could always get taxi back.Fort William to Glasgow sounds an idea ! Especially if weather not great.Just got to decide where to after Fort William!!if we can get on a site!!

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
Mallag to Inverness is a corker one of my favourite journeys

Dec 20, 2018
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2004
I thought the service from Inverness went to Kyle of Lochalsh, not Mallaig.

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
I thought the service from Inverness went to Kyle of Lochalsh, not Mallaig.
yes your right I was thinking of being parked on the scrappy layby overlooking Kyle of Lochalsh whilst sharing my lunch with a highlander (he had all the apple)

Adam+Jude

Free Member
Feb 20, 2019
Stockport
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 580
Exp
July 2018
And just North of there is Rosslyn Chapel of Davinci code fame
Well worth an afternoons visit with a nice cuppa and cream scone

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
And just North of there is Rosslyn Chapel of Davinci code fame
Well worth an afternoons visit with a nice cuppa and cream ossscone
Sorry i may have missed something and not been keeping up but i am Confused. ..Just North of where?? Rosslyn is on East coast South of Edinburgh

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back