Sep 6, 2008
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 286
Exp
around 26 years
Good Afternoon

I'm thinking of putting a jack in the van as well as the supplied manufacturer one, I imagine a scissor jack will take quite a bit of effort to lift from flat tyre and was looking at a 4 tonne bottle jack to keep space to a minimum, any views on using bottle jacks with motorhomes, is 4T over the top?
I Would fix it to a plank for stability and use some sort of plate on top to avoid possible slippage.

I have a Benimar 286 so quite a heafty van to lift, front would probs be OK with scissor jack but worried about the rear ones.

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Your rear axle load on one side will be less than the tyre load rating . which should be the most you will need to lift on any corner . Having said that its better to have a stronger jack than that as it will make the pumping easier even if more repetitive If that makes any sense :) So the bigger you go the more the mechanical advantage you require to make it stay within reasonable arm force requirement

Jan 31, 2016
Halifax
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 9097F
Exp
June 2016
We have standard scissor Jack and a 6 ton bottle Jack

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 11, 2016
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Ixeo TL680g
Exp
returnee
I was also looking at this and trying to figure the size/height required?
I was thinking the opposite to Tezza and was wondering if 4 tonne would be capable. So yesterday I was checking the height of the jacking points on our Burstner and it was 250mm rear and 270mm front (tyre inflated). Looking at the specs on a Draper 4 or 6 tonne bottle jack I see Min height of 194mm for 4 tonne and 216mm for the 6 tonne. Thinking may be the 6 tonne would be too big to fit under the mounting points if the tire was deflated, (and I want to avoid the trick of using levelling ramps to gain the height required.
What are the recommendations of the Funsters?

(Not as quick of the marks as others)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
3500kg van......6t bottle Jack.
The base of the Jack is big enough so no need for extra planks.
The only time you need extra support is on soft ground IF you can't drive to solid ground.
NEVER use any Jack on a gradient unless at least the diagonally opposite wheel is chocked and only as a last resort.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
When I had a flat I could not get the Bottle Jack under the Jack point. I used the Scissor Jack to get the thing high enough, then the BJ.
There is no way I'd trust the Scissor Jack on its own.

Jan 31, 2016
Halifax
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 9097F
Exp
June 2016
Just remember that a bottle jack that will go under the chassis when the tyre is inflated may not go under when it's flat.
Yup correct my 6 tone will not fit just too large however since i was given it no point getting a smaller one. If I ever need it will use scissor Jack to take initial weight lift up slightly then stick bottle Jack under

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
If you are looking at say the avg tyre load rating on motorhome its say 116 which is 1250kg so to lift I end of axle will be below this
so a 2 tonne jack would be plenty the clearance when flat is as you mention a big factor so sometimes a two stage jack enables fitting and sufficient travel
this is the sort of thing

s-l1600.jpg 5 tonne

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Changed a wheel on my last couple of vans with the Fiat scissor jack, no problem if you have got a good firm flat surface. Tried with both a 2 ton trolly jack and a 2 ton bottle couldn't lift the van at all. I think you need at least a 5 ton jack to stand a chance.

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
I've used one of these for many years. It doesn't matter how low the vehicle is with a puncture & it lifts our motorhome perfectly.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
with some vehicles to get the jack under the chassis etc just drive on to the spare wheel with the wheel thats flat .
that usually gives enough height for the jack.
just be-careful doing it .
mind again on some motor homes you cant manage to get the wheel off because the body work is so low , you will have to jack the body . not the axle . bad design is the trouble .
always worth having a play around at home so if you should require removing a wheel you have the right bits .
too many converted campers are sent out with jacks only designed for a standard bodied van . not coach built bodies .

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Sound advise from Alan.
Worst place to learn what's what is on the roadside,
whydy'a think F1 guys are so good !!!! they practice (y)

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Changed a wheel on my last couple of vans with the Fiat scissor jack, no problem if you have got a good firm flat surface. Tried with both a 2 ton trolly jack and a 2 ton bottle couldn't lift the van at all. I think you need at least a 5 ton jack to stand a chance.
Same here Lenny on our E560 , i was suprised how well it worked

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back