Rhondda Valleys, S Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Year 3 of ownership !
I've lost it !!!

Lost all looks on the motorhome :Sad::cry:

Been away this weekend with 5 other family/friends with caravans, pricing from £500 to £4000. All had awnings, cars to drive to the nearest town, being Monmouth.

They were all very interested in the motorhome, coming in for a look, saying how nice it was and that they would love to have mine. But all the time I was jelous of them :Eeek:

I know that a lot of people are returning to caravans at the moment and I have done a " for and against " list this weekend, but I'm no better off making a decision to sell the motorhome or not.

Original budget after selling my caravan and looking for a motorhome was £10,000. But after looking at "CRAP" we upt and upt the budget to £20,000 :cry::Doh:
Why did I do it ?

Thinking IF I had £15,000 for the motorhome I would buy a new caravan for about £13,000 and a cheap 4x4 for about £2000 but........................................

Why do I feel like this ? ( I dont know either ) :cry::Sad::cry:

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
The only down side to having the MH is finding somewhere to park, that said ,once you have done that you can go out and about nip back for a cuppa, if you`re tired have a nap, wait for everyone to leave an then go back on you`re merry way.
brilliant!!!!!:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Don't feel guilty about the way you feel, this travelling bug and the tools we use are all down to personal preference. Years ago we had a caravan and more recently before we got our first RV we laboured over the decision.
For us now the toad on the back or the leccy bikes in the locker solve our problems when we arrive.
Alcohol before bed may help you sleep :winky::winky:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
I've lost it !!!

Been away this weekend with 5 other family/friends with caravans, pricing from £500 to £4000. All had awnings, cars to drive to the nearest town, being Monmouth.

They were all very interested in the motorhome, coming in for a look, saying how nice it was and that they would love to have mine. But all the time I was jelous of them :Eeek:

I know that a lot of people are returning to caravans at the moment and I have done a " for and against " list this weekend, but I'm no better off making a decision to sell the motorhome or not.

Original budget after selling my caravan and looking for a motorhome was £10,000. But after looking at "CRAP" we upt and upt the budget to £20,000 :cry::Doh:
Why did I do it ?

Thinking IF I had £15,000 for the motorhome I would buy a new caravan for about £13,000 and a cheap 4x4 for about £2000 but........................................

IMHO if all you plan to do is is travel between and stay on sites in the UK and Europe, then a motorhome is not the best choice and never will be.
If however you want to travel and stay off sites from time to time or even all the time, then it is the best choice. It comes into it's own in many European countries where the motorhome is well catered for. It provides you with many more opportunities for adventure than a caravan ever can.
"Horses for courses" springs to mind.
Also IMHO if you stick a toad on the back you've got it the wrong way round.

Pete:Cool:

OP
OP
mark e

mark e

Free Member
Sep 29, 2007
Rhondda Valleys, S Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Year 3 of ownership !
Must add, wont be going outside UK as I have a dog, and no to kennals and no to the rip off passport scheme and the french vets :thumb:

Maybe Im just bored and fancy a change, I dont know :Angry:

Do use to wildcamp in quite regulary to save some money, but like going away with company and of course, they use sites. I bet if i had a caravan, i would fancy a bloody motorhome. Just wished I had not spent so much to buy it :Sad: Could have used the money on more important things i guess. £300 a month is a lot of money, but not compared to what others pay I know.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Your not alone in thinking about going back to tugging .. it's been on my mind for some months.. as they say, horses for courses.. or whatever floats yer boat :winky:

and it dosen't mean the end of the 'adventure' :thumb:

The year 2009 marked the 50th anniversary of Wally Byam’s Cape Town to Cairo African Caravan Adventure. This historical event was an overland, 221-day, 14,307-mile journey embarked upon by 106 Caravanners in 41 Airstream travel trailers. This anniversary provides the motivation to rediscover Africa as a Caravan destination. We want to tackle the challenge that is Africa, once again embracing the humanity and participating in the community that Wally Byam endorsed in his life and in his book, Trailer Travel Here and Abroad….”

Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
We just spent Easter Friday and Saturday in Norfolk. Overnighted in a pub car park. Went on a tour of Gt Yarmouth/Lowestoft/Kessingland and parked up for Lunch where ever we wanted. We couldnt do that with a Caravan. Motohome comes into its own when weather is "British" as you can still get out and about and use facilities without getting wet.
However, as people say, its horses for courses:Smile:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
People choose motorhomes over caravans and vice versa for vareing reasons.
Ours was that we wild camp more than use sites,and its very dificult wild camping in a caravan,unless of course you are a traveler.
We also use Shell Island a lot,and caravans are not allowed.
I know there are a few schools of thought regarding toads,but we have the choice of leaving the toad at home if we think we are not going to nead it,you can hardly leave your car at home and go away with the caravan.
Also we tow the boat with the RV,giving us comfortable living space when using the boat.
We have recently bought a Euro sized camper so we can do more short term touring,keeping the RV for the long term tours.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I know why..
It is simply cos

a) You can

b) It is different

c) You ain't got a caravan at the moment

d) The grass is always greener etc

e) You are a bloke

And I say NONE of the above in jest, merely close self analysis over the years

tonybrightspark

Free Member
Dec 31, 2009
Kent
Funster No
I've lost it !!!

Why did I do it ?

Try downsizing to say a Romahome and have the best of both worlds, you can drive into town and no aggro towing the lump around.

tonybrightspark

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I've lost it !!!

Without doubt a caravan beats a motorhome in many ways. I think the MH wins only for the wanderers who don't like to stay put for long periods. We are doing Italy, a few days here a few days there. MH works a treat.

But for a week in Brighton, a caravan gives you more space, a free TOAD, and much cheaper running costs.

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi,

As i said on another thread, we never had a caravan so our choice was made based upon the type of use and at the time we thought that 1 or 2 days in anyone place would be enough and it was for the first year or so,

But like everything else in life habits change and now we find ourselves wanting to stay for longer perhaps a week or more at one place so we have opted for a toad, but if i could have the chance all over again i think the caravan and Car do appear to be a better choice but only because we have changed our habits,

We also have a narrowboat we have had it for nearly 17 years and for the first 5/7 years we were hardly every away from it, then the use went down to perhaps 3/4 times a year, now its more like a pain having to paint it, change the oil, every 2 years take it around to have the bottom blacked, its more like a job than a hobby, habits change

I think the same could be happening with motorhomeing, as our last but one holiday was a cruise and the one before that was a coach holiday to the IOW, and we are looking at another cruise now.

I do hope I'm wrong but it does seem that things/habits/hobbies change every few years I suppose that's life we just keep moving on to things new.

Toffs-G

Free Member
Sep 16, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SPB
Exp
September 2009
I think Brian (Hilldweller) has hit it on the nail.

When we started looking at motorhomes at one stage we looked at caravans because i have a car that can tow a fairly hefty one but as we like to trundle around from place to place and have the facilties with us wherever we are we stuck to looking at motorhomes.

We have settled on a 6berth 24ft European coachbuilt and apart from height barriers basically as long as there is space at the back of a car parking space like grass area or whatever we can get it on standard parking space, in fact as my car has broken down (new gearbox) I am using the MH for work and have it currently parked in the car park just over hanging a grass area and certainly does not take up more than a single parking space, just

when we first got the MH last year we went down to Dorset left the campsite for the day and went to Portland Bill, parking no probs, a family arrived that we recognised from the same campsite (in a caravan) well when the heavens opened and we dashed back to the MH, put the heating on, made a cup of tea and some cheese on toast they were all stuck in their car with their facilties back at the site

Still as mentioned on here horses for courses, for us an MH wins hand down

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
Its natural, I guess, that when in one mode of travel you do see the advantages of the other.

If all you want to do is stay for long periods on sites, then a caravan has to be better, they are bigger inside and you have the tow car to use.

At the risk of being controversial if you are going to tow a car anyway then again a caravan has to be better, and a lot cheaper!

But if you want to travel extensively, stopping en route, especially around europe, then there is no contest, the MH wins every time. They are much easier, no winding legs down, no carrying water, no hitching up, higher speed limits, no outside lane m/way restriction - just stop and put the kettle on. Total freedom.

Sep 29, 2009
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Roller Team
Exp
Since 2009
I worked for a caravan company for 21 years and never ever fancied one, still dont. Yes the motorhome has the disadvantage that its not easy to park at the side of the road or where there is a height barrier but what other disadvantages have they got? It makes us walk more for a start, which I suppose to some folk is a disadvantage!! Graham was reminded the other week why we dont have a caravan when he saw one become unhooked and fly down the road he was working on, narrowly missing his van. The best thing about a motorhome is enjoying a nice cuppa whilst watching the newcomers to site struggle to erect their awning when the rain is lashing down and the wind is blowing, so amusing, but each to their own. Hope you come to the right decision.

barnybg

Free Member
Jan 23, 2010
Bulgaria/Greece/Turkey/Wa
Funster No
MH
coahbuilt
Exp
ON and off 10 years but trav 25
M/H or caravan ????lol

Mark,Cant see why you would want to spend £13,000 on a caravan !!? compared to a M/H,and as for parking on the side of a road ?.......much easier to do in a M/H than a caravan,surely ?
More freedom,faster,smaller when you take into consideration the car/4x4 then towhitch AND CARAVAN !!!,easier to drive and manouvere,dare i say ,cheaper on fuel (my Eldiss 28mpg),convenient,quick,drive to and away easily,less chance of being classed as a 'traveller' ? if YOU dont like that idea.
Why not keep the M/H, and buy a £1000 4x4 and a £1000 caravan,just to have the best of both worlds !! lol.
P.s Do you know ( TUFTY ) from Rhonnda valley's,lost touch... (Barny)

OP
OP
mark e

mark e

Free Member
Sep 29, 2007
Rhondda Valleys, S Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Year 3 of ownership !
Thanks for the replies :thumb:

I know that having a motorhome makes sense :ROFLMAO:

I think, it is bordom :Blush:

I know i should feel lucky :

1/. By having the funds every month to keep it ................ just
2/. Everybody wishes to have one, well a lot of caravanners !!!
3/. Knowing it's funny watching caravaners set up :ROFLMAO:

Perhaps over the next few weeks / months, after using it regulary i may get the " motorhome buzz " back again :winky:

Lets hope,
Thanks

P.S No sorry barny dont know tufty.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back