Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Hi ALL !

Well, nearly 3 weeks now that I have been driving my MAX and using him as my holidays house.

As a beginner I have been around a few problems/ interrogations on how to avoid this or that or making the best of what I had.

First is how to fill in the cupboards without having a mess once you have driven on bumps or on very chaotic tracks.

I have spent a lot of time looking for the right stuff especially for all the plates and glasses and mugs, and have come to the conclusion that the right place to find the suitable equipment was not where all the kitchen things are in supermarkets or even in big shops devoted to the kitchen area (whether you’re motorhoming or not), but in places like Leroy Merlin. I bet you have the same sort of shop in the UK where you can buy all the DIY things.

I there found a box supposed to be used to have different types of screws or nuts that I have used for my set of 6 glasses. They were each properly kept in their little space…. No shock, no bling bling bling whilst driving and no extra room taken in the cupboard as quite thin plastic box : perfect to my point of view. (y)

This gave me the idea of buying more boxes for my fridge. I don’t have any drawer in my little fridge and I quickly found annoying to have everything falling out on the floor each time I was opening the fridge door.
I knew as well from personal experience and from a certain JJ who was always telling me during previous travels: “don’t put things again the iron bit” that I had to think about this too.
So off I went to GIFI (you can find shops in France called FOIRFOUILLE which are saling about the same sort of things) to try and find small nice plastic boxes.
I had measured all the different places I wanted to have boxes in/on and came back with all I wanted .
It is incredible how these little improvements make your life easier.
Everything stays where I put it, nothing hits the “iron bit” and all is properly cooled. Only bug is ……The boxes are RED! Mmmmmm not really suiting a MC fan hey?.... Never mind , I am not a MC fan and JJ never opens my fridge...so…..

Definitely BOXES are a good option when it comes to organize the cupboards. Now I have to find one high enough to put my DVDs in. But the problem is , once it’s fitted in the cupboard , it’s hell to have one out, without having to han han han , take the box out… and get the DVD or CD out. I think I am going to make up one myself with a little door…LOL ! I know you will all say BUT FRANKIE …..they could be all in a line at the back of the cupboard ! Sorry to say that I haven’t got enough DVDs to do this. I might have about 10 DVDs (reason is I have NO time to watch them so what’s the point in buying dozen of them!)In fact I have loads of room left, once DVDs CDs and BOOKS are all in. So of course I had them all falling on me after each trip! Grrrrrrr! If you have experienced this and found some brilliant suitable idea … tell us all about it please! (I don’t want any screwing if possible).

My van is quite small and I wanted to save a maximum of space. I have then decided to swap the usual bathroom towels with fluffy washing cloth. We call them “gants de toilette” They absorb a lot (even when I wash my long hair, one is enough) and what I find good is you can wash them straight away, they will be dry in no time for next use. Much more handy than a towel in my opinion! I took 2 little extra towels …just in case! Of course you can use the special towels trekkers use, I personally find them too ‘cold’ but I have a couple of those. They take so little room….

On a more electric side I have discovered a few things. The most important to me was the fridge.
One day as JJ and I were about to set off, I turned the fridge gas off and switched on the 12 v button.
Then I started the engine and had a quick look behind me to see if fridge light was ON and…bugger …it wasn’t . Oh noooo I thought the fridge doesn’t want to work on the 12 V….!! and of course I yelled through the window …JJ !!!! Fridge would not work on 12V !!!!!:(
Quiet answer was…. Rev a bit Love it should show it working !:cool:
VRRRRRR and …. Fridge was working!(y);)

When you begin, you don’t know this sort of things, you just go straight …OMG ! What’s up now!

I will learn more and more of course with time just like all beginners, and I guess you’ve been through all these little worries yourself (I’m talking there to the professional motorhomers LOL! Those who’ve been roaming in different types of vans for years). I just hope these little things will help the beginners before their first trip out.

Conclusion: Max most certainly gave me quite a few headaches since I bought Him but indeed , I don’t regret it.

This first trip out, ending in a few days (I’m leaving JJ and his Hymer tomorrow morning, back to France to start work again on the 28th) has given me a lot of enjoyment and a feeling of freedom I had never felt before.

We have stayed in 2 different campsites for a total of 3 nights out of 3 weeks. Brillant places to wild and … the right partner to share this sort of way of living (except when it comes to footy … but I am quite understanding… most of the time should I add!).

Unfortunately I won’t be using much Max for the next 12 months ! But when I can/ could; I’m/’ll be over the moon ….. Whilst driving these last 3 weeks , I had more than once tears coming up as I was thinking that owing a motorhome has been a 30 years old dream and I am now living my dream…. Just hoping it will go on and on for as long as possible!

Amicalement

Frankie:):):)

Last edited:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Like Frankie says JJ you never go into the fridge ;)
Following on from anther thread THANKS for sharing your experiences Frankie (y):)
terry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
For DVDs Ikea sell a set of folding fabric boxes that are meant to go in clothes drawers I think. http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/00290368/
I put the largest square ones in the pan drawer--- held all the cooking pans with no rattling.
The long rectangular ones are perfect for DVDs
Small square ones held socks.
Empty ice cream / sorbet tubs will also hold things in the fridge or in cupboards.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
yodeli
Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Oh Rangi !!! I know I have posted with a few mistakes , showing to the world that my English is far from being perfect (I'm on hols and so is my brain!) but in case you didn't know ...... these are the words foreigners learn first! ....with all their possible meanings:sneaky:......

Frankie:whistle:

Upvote 0
Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Oh Rangi !!! I know I have posted with a few mistakes , showing to the world that my English is far from being perfect (I'm on hols and so is my brain!) but in case you didn't know ...... these are the words foreigners learn first! ....with all their possible meanings:sneaky:......

Frankie:whistle:

Frankie! Darling! you speak, and write! better English then I will ever do!
All power to you lovely lady!:france:Allez les Bleus!:france:

Upvote 0

Ven

Aug 15, 2008
East Sussex and beyond
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
Sounds like you've achieved a whole lot, a lot quicker than most of us!

I use a small fabric zipped folder for my DVDs which you can get in all sorts of sizes.

I have shares in non slip fabric too which I use for all sorts from separating plates safely (and quietly) to stopping metal kitchen ware rattling.

Upvote 0

Al-Di

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 15, 2014
prestwich
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil A Class
Exp
since 2013
put my dvd's on memory sticks, and use the cardboard separaters from fruit boxes for glass wear, good idea about the fridge though hadn't thought of that one,

Diane + Alan,

Upvote 0

Styx

Free Member
May 1, 2010
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Well done, Frankie! I'm glad you've had a lovely adventure and that you've got at least one of the men in your life under control ;)
Do your dvds have to be in their boxes or could they be stored in something like this
Broken Link Removed
or this
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw=princess+cd+case&_osacat=0&_from=R40|R40|R40|R40|R40|R40|R40|R40&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xfrog+cd+case&_nkw=frog+cd+case&_sacat=0 :)
Go carefully and have a safe journey home
(y)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
yodeli
Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Well done, Frankie! I'm glad you've had a lovely adventure and that you've got at least one of the men in your life under control ;)
Do your dvds have to be in their boxes or could they be stored in something like this
Broken Link Removed
or this
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw=princess+cd+case&_osacat=0&_from=R40|R40|R40|R40|R40|R40|R40|R40&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xfrog+cd+case&_nkw=frog+cd+case&_sacat=0 :)
Go carefully and have a safe journey home
(y)

Frogs ones are excellent! Thing is I like to have my very few DVDs each in their own case! But cases one on top of the other of course is not what you can call the best way to store them. A few bents on the way and they all fly away lol! I guess I will have to make choices.... and clever ones if possible:whistle:

Thanks for your searches anyway!
xxxx

Upvote 0

Styx

Free Member
May 1, 2010
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Hello Mr JJ, I didn't see you there :whistle2: I hope you've had a lovely holiday and that Franki the chair has lived up to expectations :smiley:

Excuse me Ms Styx...

Which man?

JJ :cool:

The man with whom she has waited so long to travel and whose little foibles have given her so much concern... :RollEyes:

Max, of course! :whew:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back