LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
My supper companion tonight is Gertie, she is 91 years old, she lives with her son Bryan , I know lots about Gertie because she carries around numerous pieces of paper with her name address birthday, son, today's date and where she is now on these lists. she reads from them all the time.
She obviously has dementia and gets anxious easily, the worn but neatly folded paper she keeps in her pocket calms her. Repeated like a mantra they are just one of the background noises of the ward.

I wish you could all meet Gertie she is lovely, a gentle mild softy spoken welsh lady.

In amongst the confusion are flashes of the real gertie, she is unfailingly polite, neat and tidy. She likes to order the contents of our lockers and tables. I don't mind at all but not all of the other ladies feel the same.

She came and sat beside me at supper and I helped her with her ham and mash, she softy thanked me after each bite whilst still reading from her lists.

She suddenly looked at me and started telling me something, it was very important to her and she gripped my arm to emphasis her point. She became animated and happy, laughing as she told me her story.

She is a welsh speaker and for the first time I wish I spoke it too

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
This is much better than Ven's offering
image.jpg

lesleyjean

Free Member
Jun 21, 2008
Funster No
MH
A class
Really sorry to hear that you are poorly.

Get better very soon.
Here is a much sexier looking guy that can turn my legs to jelly. Hope it makes you feel a little better.
He does it for me:)

image.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Thank you for shareing Dawn, gives all a glimpse into what's going on all around us while we are planning our trips etc and puts things into perspective. Gertie sounds like a wonderful old lady with many a story that may not be told. You have such a gift for communication brings situations to life. Like @Armytwowheels I have been thinking of you this afternoon and seeing what this illness is all about like quite a few others on Fun I bet, and shocked how quick things have happen.

Believe me their are a lot of us rooting for you and putting you firmly in the full recovery group, keep posting any stories from the ward or whatever comes into your mind (that you can share :rolleyes:) though knowing you that's quite a lot. Ps. Hope the dinners improve.

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
Sorry to hear of your problem Mousey, If it helps have faith in the NHS
when it comes to the serious stuff they know what they are doing.
I had GBS a similar thing two and a half years ago and they were brilliant.
Get Well Soon (or Quicker)
Roger & Sheila.

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Get well soon Mousey:unsure: Nice to see that despite having a numb bum you haven't lost your sense of humour:D

Just wondered if this means you'll forget to wear your knickers even more:eek:

Jul 26, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
since May 2010
Just seen your post. Sorry to hear that you're laid up. Hope you'll be back on your feet very soon.
::bigsmile::Smile:::bigsmile::Smile:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Not an easy question to answer @Chris. From what I can understand in the crash course I've taken this week it's a game of 3 halves.

There is the symptoms I've got (numbness from toes to waist) and what's causing it.

Apparently with the myelitis you fall into one of 3 groups, it gets better, stays the same or gets worse. I'm being positive and I'll be in the "gets better camp".

All the tests are trying to find the cause and it seems there are loads of things it can be from a virus to MS or another neurological condition.

So find the cause then look at treatment.

Bet you wished you didn't ask now. Even I found that boring!

Keep positive is the way,I'm sure.

It must be scary for you though, not least having to spend time with Gertie.

Get well soon.

bernardfeay

Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
I sincerely hope things work out for you. Since my difficulties I have become much more empathetic for people having problems. Good luck.

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Good morning Mousy

What's happening on the ward this morning?
Did Gertie servive the night? ( crass I know but at her age you have to ask).
What's for breakfast?

I hope Mr Mousy is smuggling in food for you?

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I am not just keeping my fingers crossed that you are in the lucky third, I am keeping all paired organs crossed as one of my old bosses used to say.
Think your family will have to bring in food parcels.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Good morning Mousy

What's happening on the ward this morning?
Did Gertie servive the night? ( crass I know but at her age you have to ask).
What's for breakfast?

I hope Mr Mousy is smuggling in food for you?
Beat me to it on all counts Armytwowheels!

'Morning Mousy, any George Clooney lookalikes where you are?

doctor-with-stethoscope-smiley-emoticon.gif

oh sorry, wrong pic... here, try this one

upload_2015-8-7_8-45-1.jpeg

OP
OP
Mousy

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Thanks for all your kind words and messages they mean such a lot.

Had Gertie try and climb into bed with me in the early hours. I'm wired up to all manner of machines and not exactly quick on my feet.
I'm down to 2 hourly obs, (which means every 2 hours a nurse comes and shines a light into my eyes, takes my blood pressure, temp and oxygen levels and gets me to blow into a peak flow monitor). Obviously difficult to sleep well with all that going on but I was looking forward to it as it's been hourly since I came in and I was hopeful I'd get some shut eye.

Gertie had other ideals, so she is climbing in one side and I'm trying to get out the other, except all the machines are on Gerties side of the bed, so I'm dragging the wires and machines with me, I can't find the buzzer to call the nurse and Gertie is still reading from her list "my name is Gertie Alice Jones, I live at 23 Bryn haford my son is Bryan, I am 91 years old etc etc. I had to laugh it was so farcical. At one point I thought it would be easier to just get into Gertie's bed and leave her in mine.

It's now been 4 nights of very little sleep and I'm struggling. How anyone "gets better" in hospital is beyond me.

And of course my new best friend can't remember any of it this morning.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Pleased to know that you're having fun with your new bestest friend...

Mar 18, 2012
Loch Lomond Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
For the very first time ever, I will be transporting gin, ice and toxic in my van to be consumed at Bristol and now you tell me you won't be there. How bloody inconsiderate:(

Save it for me at Oulton Park Phil !!!!!, and to our dear funster Mousy i admire your fortitude and good humour and wish you a very quick and successful recovery,

Allthe best

Get well soon Dawn(y)
You will be missed:cry:
(maybe):LOL:

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
:rofl::rofl::rofl:
So she is still here then.

Sorry for laughing but this sounds like a Carry On film.

Dec 30, 2008
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since Dec 2008 after 10 years caravanning
So sorry to hear you are in hospital sending our best wishes for a speedy recovery , but sounds like Gertie will miss you when you come home :p
Sue & Eric

OP
OP
Mousy

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
I'm the youngest by about 40 years on this ward, there are 5 other ladies all with lovely old fashioned names.

3 have dementia 1 is very poorly and 1 just moans (all the time except if anyone touches her then she shouts out "piss off").
I know it's awful of me but I can't help giggling when little old frail ladies swear like seamen! She called one of the doctors an arsehole today.

Thanks for all the pictures of "nice young men" that and the promise of gin is keeping me going.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Good morning Dawn, just been keeping up with your wards going on, kind of what goes on behind closed doors, hope you manage to get a couple of hours sleep and you can get rid of a few of those tubes, are they giving you any clue to how long they are keeping you in for, hopefully you can get moved to a more suitable ward though I am sure Gertie will miss you.. Have to say the supply of Doctors are putting on is not two bad. Hope someone manages to sneak you in some tasty food today. :wub:

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Morning Dawn

upload_2015-8-7_10-49-2.jpeg

one of the best Gins we have ever tasted, from Islay, discovered while there last year, will put some in for next time we meet

Take care David and Bev xx

OP
OP
Mousy

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Thanks guys, having a lumber puncture later so I'll be able to read but not write.

@carole definitely here for a while:cry:

Hoping to get to Malvern next week but maybe I'm being wildly optimistic.

dippingatoe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jul 23, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Thor Damon Daybreak 27P
Exp
jan 2014
So sorry to read about this. I do hope you will be feeling better very soon. Good luck with all the tests (y)

madgeD

Free Member
Aug 17, 2014
Cleveland
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
since 2005
Bowen therapy might just get you back on your feet. Give it a go. Some therapists will come to you if necessary.

I am now back on my feet thanks you Cat53 co-codamol +paracetamol is a great help I even accompanied O.H on our weekly shop yesterday, Im just slow getting in and out of the car. The physiotherapist has sent me exercises to do three times a day , hopefully Im on the mend.

I hope you are on the mend too Dawn?

madgeD

Free Member
Aug 17, 2014
Cleveland
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
since 2005
Dawn I've just read back , I'm so sorry I hadn't realised just how poorly you are :cry: I do hope the epidural helps and you make a full recovery, you do sound as if you are having fun and games !! poor you its just as well you can manage to laugh about it all. My daughter had a disk repacked in her spine and has a titanium plate, so I do know some of the problems you are having with the numbness and what goes along with it! if its any consolation she has been marvellous since her op and recovery which was 7 years ago now. She is 52 now it was terrible watching what my child was going through as it must be for your loved ones :) keep your chin up, I don't know you but admire your cheerful and positive attitude xx
Margaret xx

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
Geraldine said your share of the gin tasted very good:LOL: Don't let her know I've hidden the other bottle to be used as Mousy medicine (when you've fully recovered that is;))

Stay positive Dawn. You're sorely missed(y)

Jul 29, 2014
Norfolk and Correze, France
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Had one for 5 years many moons ago. Now starting again.
I have only just caught your thread - all this French sun frazzles the brain:rolleyes:

So sorry to read that you are stuck in hospital and all the details sound painful.

Get well soon as I am looking forward to your next brilliant saga of driving round Europe(y)

I'd send a hug but that might be even more uncomfortable:eek:

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Hi Mrs Mousy
Just discovered the thread , I hope you get sorted soon.
It makes us all smile
to read how Gertie behaves but I bet sometimes you'd rather have some sleep !!!! Even if she is a lovely lady!!! Keep posting, at least whilst doing so, you don't go anxious.

Amicalement

Frankie:)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back