I've finally bought one :-) .. general help needed (1 Viewer)

Teresa

Free Member
Jul 13, 2014
Funster No
MH
Process of buying
Exp
Hi all, having wanted one for years I have finally bought myself a motor home (1990, 6 berth coach built - no power steering).

I'm hoping to hit the road and possibly Lake District with her asap! As much as I can't wait, I'm slightly concerned about it's size, so I want to try and pre-empt any potential nightmares/stresser and prevent them from happening so I can just enjoy it!

Can any help with any of the following:

-Recommended easily accessible sites in the Lake District

-How to actively avoid narrow and/or steep roads?
(how do you guys find this out in general)

-General tips and tricks for making the most of it all

-Where to go for low priced insurance

Looking forward replies :)

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Hi
Just get used to driving it first

Stick to A roads to start with

Maybe try reversing/parking in an empty car park

I am having electric power steering fitted to my 1991 van tomorrow - will post the results

All the best(y)(y)(y)

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
The Lake District is a big area, Give us a clue where? South Lakes, Western Lakes etc.
also what type of site eg. Quiet, with enternainment, with pool, lakeside etc?

As for insurance AiB at the top of Fun page are as good if not better than anyone. I know a few who are switching to them.

OP
OP
T

Teresa

Free Member
Jul 13, 2014
Funster No
MH
Process of buying
Exp
thanks for your replies.

Brilliant advice, I'll stick to A roads and aim to get used to it in a aid open space asap. Any sites off an A road are greatly welcomed :)

Yes I have been told that having power steering fitted is relatively simple job.. would just need to save up (apparently £1500) for that additional bonus so hopefully get that done by the end of the year.

Hmm to clues on areas - good point! General plan is to work way there from York.... and hopefully end up near Centre Parc's in Penrith at some point.. so sites along that route and near to that destination would be greatly welcomed - thanks in advance (is that as a reply even helpful?? - eek I feel like a total novis here)!

OP
OP
T

Teresa

Free Member
Jul 13, 2014
Funster No
MH
Process of buying
Exp
Re type of site - no children on our trip so someone pretty (lake side, forests, scenic views etc), nice and relaxing is our basic aim :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
thanks for your replies.

Brilliant advice, I'll stick to A roads and aim to get used to it in a aid open space asap. Any sites off an A road are greatly welcomed :)

Yes I have been told that having power steering fitted is relatively simple job.. would just need to save up (apparently £1500) for that additional bonus so hopefully get that done by the end of the year.

Hmm to clues on areas - good point! General plan is to work way there from York.... and hopefully end up near Centre Parc's in Penrith at some point.. so sites along that route and near to that destination would be greatly welcomed - thanks in advance (is that as a reply even helpful?? - eek I feel like a total novis here)!

I've been quoted £600(y)(y)(y)

What base vehicle do you have?

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
The CC site at Troutbeck Head, near Ullswater is reached by main roads. Their site at Kendal is nice but the approach is single track roads and the site itself is a bit of an obstacle course. The CC Barnard Castle site is close to a main road but there is a narrow bridge to negotiate, but sooner or later you are going to have to deal with these things, so I wouldn't let it put you off. I would recommend joining the CC although of course not everyone does.

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
Centre Parks with a motorhome? It takes all sorts.
In that area ( not actually in "The Lakes")try "the quiet site" or "park foot"both on Ullswater.

OP
OP
T

Teresa

Free Member
Jul 13, 2014
Funster No
MH
Process of buying
Exp
Hehe to be fair I have my eye on their Aqua Sauna ;-)
thanks for the replies an dingo, please keep them coming, the more the merrier please?

Good point about avoidance.. hmmm, but I want to opt for later vs sooner to I can at least face those things with confidence :-S!

Re what base I have... hmmmm a metal one?! (I'm a massive girl!)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hehe to be fair I have my eye on their Aqua Sauna ;-)
thanks for the replies an dingo, please keep them coming, the more the merrier please?

Good point about avoidance.. hmmm, but I want to opt for later vs sooner to I can at least face those things with confidence :-S!

Re what base I have... hmmmm a metal one?! (I'm a massive girl!)

Meaning what van chassis is your motorhome built on.....fiat, transit etc.

OP
OP
T

Teresa

Free Member
Jul 13, 2014
Funster No
MH
Process of buying
Exp
Does 'Talbot Express' help?

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
If you are not bothered about being near a lake then ther are not many with easier access than Tebay or Lowther.

Hymie

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Classic Hymer B564
Exp
Since 1981
>>>>How to actively avoid narrow and/or steep roads?
(how do you guys find this out in general)<<<<<

Hi Teresa, I bought the 7" satnav from ebay that was recommended on this site, about £45, Nozatec I believe, although other brands are available. :LOL:

No Satnav is foolproof as far as I am aware, as witnessed by the amount of lorries that turn into the road near my house that has 7' width restriction, but I drive a fair bit for work and have tested this unit by using it in the car on known routes and it has so far taken me the route I would go if driving a truck.

I would also recommend a reversing camera for if you do end up having to get out of a tight spot. Never used one before Harriet but they are a godsend when reversing several tons of wagon and I wouldn't be without one now

They were offering a reduction on a reversing camera on the satnav website when i bought mine as the saynav as video in and can be used as the screen for the reversing camera, saving you a few more shillings.

The screen fitted in Harriet cost more than the satnav, so ebay here it comes once i get the satnav set up in Harriet.

>>>>General tips and tricks for making the most of it all<<<<

I have only been MH'ing for 8 months this time but i believe some good advice is to go with the flow, don't set rigorous timetable for being at set locations if you do not have to.

Make sure to take regular breaks on a long trip and don't try to drive too far in a day, getting tired causes mistakes and can ruin your holiday, don't rush, you have your hotel room sitting just behind you.

HTH,

Hymie

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
Does 'Talbot Express' help?

£600 for a Talbot Express at the place I'm going to(y)

Will not recommend until I have mine fitted:)

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Make sure that Centre Parcs will let you park your MH in their car park. If you are staying at the parks they are a bit funny about motorhomes.

Hercules

Free Member
Sep 30, 2012
SWANSEA
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2005
CCC site in Keswick takes some beating, my favourite location in the Lake District.

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
We went to Lowther a few years ago. Just off a main road and not far from Centre Parks, nice site, close to the scenic castle and you can easily walk into the village for shopping or a pub meal.

As regards not going down narrow roads, when you know where your going look at Google maps and using sat view you can see how tricky any approach roads are likely to be.

OP
OP
T

Teresa

Free Member
Jul 13, 2014
Funster No
MH
Process of buying
Exp
again - thanks so much for all the information! Please keep them coming, you're contributing to our route as we speak :)

£600 for power steering isn't too bad at all is it? Please do let me know how you get on.

A lot of you refer to CCC.. is it worth joining? What are the benefits?

Jan 29, 2014
Scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache
Exp
July 2013
Best tip when reversing get your partner to walk behind before you start as there is always one D..k Head that wants to drive or walk behind you.
Laurie.

Jan 29, 2014
Scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache
Exp
July 2013
A
again - thanks so much for all the information! Please keep them coming, you're contributing to our route as we speak :)

£600 for power steering isn't too bad at all is it? Please do let me know how you get on.

A good breakfast in the morning is all you need, not power sterring.
just get the vehicle rolling before turning the wheel. Save yourself £600.
Laurie.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp

There are two main clubs, Caravan Club (CC) and the Camping and Caravan Club(CCC). We are members of both but will probably drop the CCC as we have mostly stayed at CC sites. You can get discounts on ferry tickets with the CC and no doubt the CCC as well although we haven't used them for that.

The benefits of the CC we have found are spotless facilities for under £20 a night.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
Yes I hold my hands up,
but drove lots of Army 4 tonners with no power steering fo 18 years.

I could do lots of things in the past that I can't do now :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

OP
OP
T

Teresa

Free Member
Jul 13, 2014
Funster No
MH
Process of buying
Exp
Best tip when reversing get your partner to walk behind before you start as there is always one D..k Head that wants to drive or walk behind you.
Laurie.

thanks for the handy tip! For driving alone though I'm going to get a reversing camera fitted so I can at least see the d..k Heads and beep my horn :)

OP
OP
T

Teresa

Free Member
Jul 13, 2014
Funster No
MH
Process of buying
Exp
What are other people's thoughts on the club front ... CC or CCC... with either/both help me find easily accessible sights?

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Hi Teresa and a MASSIVE WELCOME to the best motorhome site there is :LOL:

Think you've got all the advice ref power steering, The Lakes etc, so all I have to say is this.....get out and enjoy the life, it's awesome :party3:

Are we to take it that you're a lone lady motorhomer, there's other on the site, so you'll fit right in :inlove:

See you at a bash at some stage :blusher:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back