sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
I've said it before. VCA will NOT take an application on a brand new unregistered vehicle,
I have spoken to them twice. I have no choice.
Norman I simply do not understand, it must be the way you tell em. You do not need to call them just complete the form that Lenny posted. It's dead simple. You get a garage who is one of the options in the notes on the posted form to complete a letter (I can send you the one I used from my garage) together with the other docs and you get the VCA certificate back in days. Send this with the DVLA form and what they need and it is done. You are making this so difficult for yourself. You could follow this now and still be done before the 31st so you have nothing to lose. I got my advice last year from Lenny and others on this forum and it is so simple to do.
A thought, how do you think UK dealers can sell you a new van, certainly not by the process you are putting yourself through.

Mar 10, 2016
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class RMB 750HE
Exp
Three years and counting, 30 years a tent tower.
Have to agree with @sallylillian . The problems I had were all due to our vehicle falling between one set of rules and the start of the CoC regs. As long as you have that from the manufacturer it should be very straightforward. I think they are treating your van as a used unregistered van rather than a new vehicle. I'd do exactly what she says, it won't hurt anything. In fact I found that actually its not as complex as it first appears in my case I simply had to NOT fill in certain parts of the form and all became smooth sailing, it was me trying to be a good little form filler that caused me the stress when there was no need.

Go with @sallylillian and @Lenny HB 's advice they've been down this road before. Good luck either way (y)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Norman I simply do not understand, it must be the way you tell em. You do not need to call them just complete the form that Lenny posted. It's dead simple. You get a garage who is one of the options in the notes on the posted form to complete a letter (I can send you the one I used from my garage) together with the other docs and you get the VCA certificate back in days. Send this with the DVLA form and what they need and it is done. You are making this so difficult for yourself. You could follow this now and still be done before the 31st so you have nothing to lose. I got my advice last year from Lenny and others on this forum and it is so simple to do.
A thought, how do you think UK dealers can sell you a new van, certainly not by the process you are putting yourself through.
Totally agree either asking the wrong questions or just bad luck you got the wrong person who didn't have a clue. I phoned the VCA with a query they couldn't have been more helpful. I think you made the mistake of sending your application for registration to DVLA without the VCA certificate and totally confused them (doesn't take much).

You have to remember you are dealing with government departments, they don't understand the real world, I watched a couple of episodes of Yes Minister on Yesterday last night had me in stitches.
What's scary is it is probably closer to the truth than you would want to believe.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
Crazy, everyone else has done it that way it that way. The VCA documentation makes no mention of it.

Not saying it's right (as we've all proved otherwise when registering our vans) but the VCA website does say you must have a registration document for the vehicle.....

"I am planning to import a passenger car, motorcycle or motorhome that is under 10 years of age into the United Kingdom from a country within the European Union. I also have a Certificate of Conformity (CoC) and registration document for the vehicle"

This might explain the line they are taking with Norman.....

OP
OP
Norman Jones

Norman Jones

Free Member
Jan 13, 2015
Nr Aberystwyth
Funster No
MH
A class, Hymer 620 mli
Exp
since 1982
Conclusion. After 3 months we're on the road 66 reg. Iva was like a 2 hour episode of last of the summer wine. 4 staff in an 8million development. All could be done in a local garage in half an hour.
Thank God it's sorted. Ferry booked!

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Glad to hear it is over & has a happy ending.:hi5:

(y)
I suspect that whole ridiculous rule is a typical piece of British bureaucracy (More than my jobsworth mate) that's never been challenged in court. Its patently ridiculous and I think contravenes the European concordance on the Road Traffic Acts, so as my vehicle was legal in any state of the European Union, then it MUST be legal to drive in the UK therefore the rule about not driving a foreign registered vehicle in the UK is a personal attack on my freedom to drive a legal vehicle and nothing to do with Type Approval.

I could be wrong but I have never read anyone on the Motorhome websites mention having been pulled over for driving a foreign registered moho in the UK. Additionally it is NOT illegal for me, a UK national to drive a German registered moho anywhere else in Europe, so its purely a British rule. Unfortunately in a short period of time it will no longer be possible for the European courts to deal with this sort of parochial nonsense as far as Brits are concerned.

End of being serious....:):)
It doesn't contravene any EU regs as it IS an EU regulation.
No citizen or permanent registered foreign resident of any EU state can drive a vehicle registered in another EU state.

I.E. I am a Spanish resident . I can only legally drive a spanish registered vehicle in Spain; whereas in any other EU state I can drive anything.

The comments above about the "UK resident not allowed to drive a foreign registered vehicle in UK" for me typifies the attitude of MPs and servile servants to the EU, introduce a UK only rule then blame it on the EU.

My sympathies to all, just remember "nil carborundum etc"

It is an EU rule. as above.
If for example you have a holiday home in France, Spain , wherever & have a vehicle registered in that country then as a British resident you cannot drive it back into the UK as doing so it immediately becomes illegal for you to drive it.
The above does not apply to Professional drivers or to employee's of hire companies returning an Inter EU state hired vehicle back to its own country.

So many people are completely oblivious to this rule , as are many in the various law enforcement agencies & also the insurance companies. Unfortunately you only have to come across a police officer in any state who knows the rules & you'll have a problem.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 10, 2016
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class RMB 750HE
Exp
Three years and counting, 30 years a tent tower.

No citizen or permanent registered foreign resident of any EU state can drive a vehicle registered in another EU state.

I.E. I am a Spanish resident . I can only legally drive a spanish registered vehicle in Spain; whereas in any other EU state I can drive anything.

If for example you have a holiday home in France, Spain , wherever & have a vehicle registered in that country then as a British resident you cannot drive it back into the UK as doing so it immediately becomes illegal for you to drive it.
The above does not apply to Professional drivers or to employee's of hire companies returning an Inter EU state hired vehicle back to its own country.

So many people are completely oblivious to this rule , as are many in the various law enforcement agencies & also the insurance companies. Unfortunately you only have to come across a police officer in any state who knows the rules & you'll have a problem.

Not quite the whole story, it was perfectly legal for me to drive a German registered vehicle in the UK as long as I was enroute to an MOT testing station at the time ( which I was) and it doesn't alter the fact that the whole rule IS patently ridiculous.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back